NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #2,612 of 4,019
Quote:
For those who don't already know, Sony will update the Walkman Z series to Android 4.0 in mid Dec

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/info2/20121106.html

Thanks for that hkppl...
beerchug.gif

English Version... looks like some serious updating of both WM-Z & WM-F.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fwalkman%2Finfo2%2F20121106.html&act=url

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,613 of 4,019
Quote:

yes the 'platinum' model is Ltd.Ed, only available in Z1070 guise I believe.

friend of mine is getting a new Xperia phone in the next day or so, I'll upload a few songs & do a A+B to look at SQ.

Thanks OK-Guy.  I am interested to hear what you will have to say.  I tried to check out the pricing on the 1070 but the store was closed by the time I got there.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,614 of 4,019
Thanks for the info.  I really don't like the Gingerbread all that much.  The ICS is so much better.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,616 of 4,019
Yeah, I'm highly curious, and filled with a touch of trepidation, regarding the changes to sound effects & EQ. I hope it fixes that weird distortion reported with clear bass, as well as sounds better overall.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,617 of 4,019
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking of getting a amp to go with my WM-Z not that I find any shortcomings with it... I just want to see how my IEM's perform as they're supposed to be better by amp'ing.

Sony will probably send you a new unit, I've got my Z1070 on one of their extended-warranties, they won't replace like for like being the Japanese model but at least I got cover from them.

nice BS Silver-Tabby btw.

It's a fact that the Z doesnt fare well with Multi-Ba-Inears. The sound will change like getting a completely different headphone.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,618 of 4,019
I haven't found it the be the case. After being horrified to find out in a UK magazine that my Z had 27 Ohms output impedance I compared the sound of the HA with LO + various amps (including E11 with a  Zout closed to zero) and the differences were extremely subtle. Anyway, I preferred the HA in most cases with IEMs ( multi BAs AND 16 Ohms dynamics)

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #2,619 of 4,019
Hmm, just got the new iPod Touch 5, overall, the sound is much brighter than the Z, which clears up the veil for my Westone 4, making it sound clearer. However, the Z still has much better 3D imaging and a deeper soundstage and the bass also is more present compared to the clean bass of the iTouch 5. Overall I feel that the iTouch 5 is a better pair with the Westone 4, however the Z still sounds better in many other ways other than clarity(which may have to do with the iPod having MUCH lower output impedance than the Z). 

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,620 of 4,019
Quote:
Hmm, just got the new iPod Touch 5, overall, the sound is much brighter than the Z, which clears up the veil for my Westone 4, making it sound clearer. However, the Z still has much better 3D imaging and a deeper soundstage and the bass also is more present compared to the clean bass of the iTouch 5. Overall I feel that the iTouch 5 is a better pair with the Westone 4, however the Z still sounds better in many other ways other than clarity(which may have to do with the iPod having MUCH lower output impedance than the Z). 

Z with line-out and external amp is also clear and very linear, and takes on the sound signature of your amp... so you can have an Awesome Device, to Awesome Amp, to Awesome headphones... or a "me too iDevice"....  
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #2,621 of 4,019
Z with line-out and external amp is also clear and very linear, and takes on the sound signature of your amp... so you can have an Awesome Device, to Awesome Amp, to Awesome headphones... or a "me too iDevice"....  :D

Yep, iStand with you...iWalkman....

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2,624 of 4,019
Xperia-S v WM-Z

the Xperia-S sounds like a poor-man's X-Series (reminded me of the Amperior's with the WM-Z, soundwise)... it has a nice rich sound to it but lacks any real punch, the Hugh's are lacking, the mids are nice and the bass lacks any real oomph... in truth there is a wide gulf between the two... as a back-up player or someone who wants some music-to-go the player is more than adequate but if you love music, splash out and get both... you're reward will be the smile on your face listening to your WM-Z.

loved this phone, the design is simple but gorgeous very similar to the WM-F but classier (if that's possible), think it's the strip light at the bottom when in 'use' that does it... expect to see a Windows-8 version.

Albums used

Slightly Stoopid - Top of the World
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
The Lumineers - self-titled. 

WM-Z stock-buds were used... I can do a comparison with the Heir's when I get them back on Friday if you want.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,625 of 4,019
Quote:
Z with line-out and external amp is also clear and very linear, and takes on the sound signature of your amp... so you can have an Awesome Device, to Awesome Amp, to Awesome headphones... or a "me too iDevice"....  
biggrin.gif

But that kills the portability :D, especially when the Z itself is already hardly suited for portable use. The iPod would be better on-the-go for the W4, I guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back