NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2,566 of 4,019
Yes, you got used to the size within one week but unfortunately, your pocket doesn't. It's also a PITA to operate Z when you are sitting on a crowded bus.
I am thinking about returning mine after 1 week use due to the crappy W player but there is no releasing date of F in Canada whatsoever. :mad:

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,567 of 4,019
Quote:
Yes, you got used to the size within one week but unfortunately, your pocket doesn't. It's also a PITA to operate Z when you are sitting on a crowded bus.
I am thinking about returning mine after 1 week use due to the crappy W player but there is no releasing date of F in Canada whatsoever.
mad.gif

Haha, that's why I only use the Z to listen to music at home, and my A when I go out... F series is certainly a better choice for portability but it seems too small on the other hand... 

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,569 of 4,019
Quote:
Haha, that's why I only use the Z to listen to music at home, and my A when I go out... F series is certainly a better choice for portability but it seems too small on the other hand... 

I have A, F, and Z, and the F's size is very manageable.  The Z is certainly a bit big & heavy to be carried around  Plus I also use the PDair leather case on Z which increases the thickness of the Z to nearly 1 inch.  I now have the F807 and now choose it over the A & Z for portable listening due to its being a do-it-all device.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2,570 of 4,019
Hello fellow z owners!  Total newb here but I love my z.  I have a question though, maybe you fine people could help me with.  On my z the
graphic eq just doesn't seem to work.  If I move one of the bands it just seems to make the z sound louder with no noticeable improvement in 
say the treble or the base or the mids.  It is the weirdest thing I dont know how to describe the sound on this walkman.  I use sennheiser px 100's for my
headphones.  Would this make any difference?  Thanks.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,571 of 4,019
Quote:
I use sennheiser px 100's for my headphones.  Would this make any difference?  Thanks.

first thing you should consider is a upgrade of headphones as that looks to be the weakest link... sometimes equalization doesn't seem to work this is probably due to the headphones as some don't take to subtle changes, it could also be the bit-rate of your music.

you should consider what type of headphone you prefer i.e over-ear, on-ear, IEM or CIEM, then what your budget is.

there's some great guys who own WM-Z's so we're bound to find a solution to your needs when you decide what to do.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,572 of 4,019
Thanks for the reply OK-Guy, its weird because I own a sony a864 as well, and any changes made to the eq are very noticeable, but not on the z.
As to upgrading my headset, maybe some sort of over the ear can would be nice, but I know absolutely nothing about them.  I wouldnt even know where
to start lol.   

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,573 of 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfannewb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As to upgrading my headset, maybe some sort of over the ear can would be nice, but I know absolutely nothing about them.  I wouldnt even know where to start lol.   

I had that problem wanting on-the-ear headphones... the best I tried were the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, Philips Fidelio M1 & Sennheiser Amperior's, though none really grabbed me by the throat... after recommendations & deliberations I settled for the excellent sounding 'Heir 4.Ai' IEM's which in truth, pretty much buries anything I've had before.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #2,576 of 4,019
Quote:

back to the home thread... think I'll stay plotted-up here.
beerchug.gif

Me too.
popcorn.gif
  I've been too busy these days to do any real research on my situation.  I really would like to get a phone that has SQ like the Z but if not, I just may go for the WM-Z1070.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,577 of 4,019
Quote:

back to the home thread... think I'll stay plotted-up here.
beerchug.gif

Yea, if I had a spare $299... I think I'd rather toss it at the 3.Ai or something instead of another DAP.  That's $300 less towards a true high end DAP or a standalone DAC for my home system. Which, incidentally, I just added a second subwoofer to.  A sealed B&W 600 series... it goes DEEEEEEEPPPP!  As far as the 3.Ai goes, from everything I hear... maybe going to a silver cable for my TF10 will bring me close enough to the 3.Ai that I won't need to spend more than the cable itself (which I end up building myself anyway.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,578 of 4,019
Quote:
Me too.
popcorn.gif
  I've been too busy these days to do any real research on my situation.  I really would like to get a phone that has SQ like the Z but if not, I just may go for the WM-Z1070.

the WM-Z is a good investment... you may want to read the 'Z1070 help for dummies' thread if you're thinking going lossless & investing in the Japanese Z1070 64gb model.

Quote:
Yea, if I had a spare $299... I think I'd rather toss it at the 3.Ai or something instead of another DAP.  That's $300 less towards a true high end DAP or a standalone DAC for my home system. Which, incidentally, I just added a second subwoofer to.  A sealed B&W 600 series... it goes DEEEEEEEPPPP!  As far as the 3.Ai goes, from everything I hear... maybe going to a silver cable for my TF10 will bring me close enough to the 3.Ai that I won't need to spend more than the cable itself (which I end up building myself anyway.

you actually sparked my concerns with the WM-F with your query about using your 4.A's with it, neutral+neutral is sometimes a bad marriage (not saying it would be in this case), I consider the WM-Z to be pretty neutral in delivery so anything 'brighter' sounding may not be good for my ears as I hate anything that sounds 'industrial' ala Cyrus hi-fi... though I'll watch what Purk, Turock & CN11 report.

B&W sub... bet that 'rumbles in the jungle'
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,579 of 4,019
Quote:
B&W sub... bet that 'rumbles in the jungle'
bigsmile_face.gif

Shakes the entire house.  My Polk is turned down and just accentuates the bass from 80Hz down to help the Quads.  The B&W doesn't really get turned on till I'm listening to current dance type music (for family) or dubstep.  Otherwise, it's TOO much bass.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,580 of 4,019
Quote:

the WM-Z is a good investment... you may want to read the 'Z1070 help for dummies' thread if you're thinking going lossless & investing in the Japanese Z1070 64gb model.

OK-Guy, thanks for that bit.  What is the street price of the 1070 in North America?  I thought I saw it for a decent price here in Hong Kong but I didn't know anything about it so I didn't really pay close attention to it.  I'll have to double check on it and report back.  It may possibly be the Japanese version as well since we sometimes get that stuff here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back