NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2,431 of 4,019
Quote:

yeah I pondered over it for a few weeks... the Sony stock-buds with the WM-Z are a pretty good all rounder, they've honestly been a match for most of the on-the-ear headphones I've had, showing up their inadequacies in one way or another... but these 4.Ai's are on another level, the WM-Z absolutely shines with them, if you like neutrality with depth and feeling where no instrument is bleeding into another across the ranges, then look no further.

the total cost of the 4.Ai's plus shipping & customs at the time was hard to justify... but now the smile on my face will tell you how happy I am with my purchase(s).

I've also got the 3.Ai which I ain't even bothered to plug into the WM-Z yet... my thinking, why change a good thing
atsmile.gif

haha nice.. the problem is.. i have an EX800st (with ex1000 cables) and everytime I plug it to my friend's Z... my expression goes like...

so im still not sure if getting a 4.ai is still worth it, not to mention that it might not fit with my "uneven" ear canals where as the sony is just "plug and play" to me. im really digging the 4a.i's look though

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,434 of 4,019
Quote:
.... I just broke open my Piggy Bank and started counting up my pennies... sounds you may think about parting soon with the 3.Ai... as the 4.Ai are soooo wonderful with the "Z".

you may have to get the glue out on that one... that said, it was always going to be a choice between one or the other as the bass on the 4.Ai was a concern being a neutral IEM... it was you who convinced me to go after the 4.Ai after your comments via pm, not that I didn't believe you but I thought I'd play safe and go for the 3.Ai as a back-up plan... I could of saved me $350+ by taking your word as gospel... the bass on these unequalized is pretty much spot on, using the step-up on the 'clear bass' really pushes it out deep... the self-induce grin almost decapitated my jaw-bone from my ears is was that big when having a lil bass fun with UB40's 'Signing-Off' album.

I owe you mate, that's forsure
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I've been using the 3.Ai on my Z1070 for a few weeks now, absolutely love the synergy both items have with each other.

it would be great if you could update us on music you're listening to with the 3.Ai's and how your finding the pairing
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
not to mention that it might not fit with my "uneven" ear canals where as the sony is just "plug and play" to me. im really digging the 4a.i's look though

you get lots of buds so you shouldn't have a problem with fit... I should of held back another two weeks before buying, I could of had both the Heir's with different veneers... still they're all mine now 'my precious/es'

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,436 of 4,019
Quote:

you getting a amp Zen for your WM-Z ?

I'd like to get an ALO Continental for my "Z".  Since the line-out negates some of the "romanticism" that is induced from the headphone out... the Continental would bring it back... and then some.  Though, in all honesty... the "Z" headphone out has more than enough power for my IEMs.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2,437 of 4,019
Quote:
I'd like to get an ALO Continental for my "Z".  Since the line-out negates some of the "romanticism" that is induced from the headphone out... the Continental would bring it back... and then some.

I'm torn between the Neco Soundlab-V3 and the soon to be released Pico Power-Amp (get in on the pre-order list and save yourself $100)... the RX3 looked tempting but reports say that there is fair amount of hiss with sensitive IEM's, I asked ALO about this and they actually recommended 'The Continental' to go with the WM-Z, that was a few months back mind when I was investigating CIEM's after your & Fortis's nagging.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,438 of 4,019
I tried four amps so far (E11, arrow 4G, just Audio, Orb jade to go) and with iem the improvement is negligeable to be worth it. Sadly the 4Ai seems to benefit being so revealing, especially with the slight treble "splashiness" on some tracks.
the 4Ai is very sensitve so a pico power would be too much IMO

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #2,439 of 4,019
Quote:
I tried four amps so far (E11, arrow 4G, just Audio, Orb jade to go) and with iem the improvement is negligeable to be worth it. Sadly the 4Ai seems to benefit being so revealing, especially with the slight treble "splashiness" on some tracks.
the 4Ai is very sensitve so a pico power would be too much IMO

cheers for that mate... I intend to get me some Grado's soon (or something along those lines) so I'm looking out for a amp that will power them... the guy who builds the Neco amps can tune the amplifier to your requirements but I think you may have to send your headphones to him so could be worth sending a email via eBay, he's very helpful in answering stuff.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2,440 of 4,019
I'd like to get an ALO Continental for my "Z".  Since the line-out negates some of the "romanticism" that is induced from the headphone out... the Continental would bring it back... and then some.  Though, in all honesty... the "Z" headphone out has more than enough power for my IEMs.

I completely agree with your choice .

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2,441 of 4,019
I'm torn between the Neco Soundlab-V3 and the soon to be released Pico Power-Amp (get in on the pre-order list and save yourself $100)... the RX3 looked tempting but reports say that there is fair amount of hiss with sensitive IEM's, I asked ALO about this and they actually recommended 'The Continental' to go with the WM-Z, that was a few months back mind when I was investigating CIEM's after your & Fortis's nagging.

..go for the continental..and never look back.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,442 of 4,019
Like a lemming standing on the precipice of a cliff drinking a can of Red-Bull while staring down at his splattered buddies below, you know the time has come to make that life defining decision... do I, don't I

To ease the undoubted unexpected suspense you must all be feeling whilst squirming in your seats reading this (don't feel sorry for the lemming, all will be revealed in good time), I decided to go for it... it was time to get the 3.Ai's out and plug them into my Z1070.

After being completely wooed an by the 4.Ai's it was hard to contemplate switching IEM's, but 'needs must' as they say... so far the 3.Ai's have proved to be more forgiving with music, the detail the 4.Ai seems almost 'clinical' by comparison but not in a cold heartless way (I love my music that way, though on a badly produced recording it's like scrapping your nails on tin)... to make a quick judgment, I'd use the 3.Ai's for when I was out & about doing stuff, that's the time I just want to listen to my tunes without thinking of any minor nuances within the music... the 4.Ai's on the other hand are for when I get home and nicely relaxed that's when I want to hear the phenomenal clarity they produce and totally immerse myself in what I'm hearing.

ps... as for the lemming, after seeing the carnage beneath him he decided to fly away & enjoy life... Red-Bull 'gives you wings' yanno
wink_face.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,443 of 4,019
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,444 of 4,019
Do you need more proof??

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/39/100x100px-LS-39d5b7f3_ROCKY.jpeg[/img]
  1. feiao
  2. Sponsor: FiiO
  3. badge_contributor.v1305918899.png
  5. online
  1. 1,310 Posts. Joined 3/2010
  2. Location: FiiO Electronics Technology Co., LTD

BTW, It is a good news that iRiver and Sony back to audiophile market. but too sad the new iPod is go away from audiophile. so you guys will still have more options. and FiiO is not going to be an iPod or SONY, HIFIMAN,COLORFLY or Hisound or iBasso, which means 

we will try to make a high quality , high performance DAC in affordable price, and still user friendly. so there are not means to compare our X3 to any other Hi Fi MP3 players, especially don't hope we will make a " Hi End" MP3.  

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,445 of 4,019
Quote:

Have you paired the Continental with the "Z"?

I have the TTVj slim, and my friend got the continental, and both color the Z nicely, not overwhelming but its there. I prefer vocals amped as for rock, adds warm signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back