NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #2,177 of 4,019
can anyone tell me how UE-TF10's sound like... I can get a good deal on these £140 delivered to UK (from USA)... it's either these or SharpSE535 ltd ed or maybe some Westone's.

looking for something that will compliment my Z1070 excellent SQ (that includes its great bass depth)

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,178 of 4,019
After som testing I come to the fact that my Telephone W995 was adding bass that was not in the recording by the Clear Bass setting. So no need for an amp, the SQ of the Z1070 are superb together with the EX1000.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,179 of 4,019
Quote:
can anyone tell me how UE-TF10's sound like... I can get a good deal on these £140 delivered to UK (from USA)... it's either these or SharpSE535 ltd ed or maybe some Westone's.

looking for something that will compliment my Z1070 excellent SQ (that includes its great bass depth)

I have the UE TF10.  I like them, the bass is pretty good.  The mids are recessed and the highs are nice, if not slightly rolled off (with the "Z").  It's a decent headphone, but from what I hear... the SE535 is a much better headphone.  I thought the TF10 was just "OK" with the stock cable, but opened up a bit and sounded smoother (even with an iPlod) once I went to a UP-OCC cable.  I like them much better now.  The "FIT" makes or breaks these headphones.  I haven't been able to get a good fit with the Silicone tips, and have resorted to the more expensive, but wonderful Comply Tips.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2,180 of 4,019
cheers for that Way, appreciated.... I can get a new pair of TF10's shipped from USA for £140 ($200) includes delivery.... the SE535's are the red Ltd. Ed version which have been tweaked to have slightly better highs but I see that as a gamble for £500 ($700+) as I'm buying blind so to speak

just read a review of the Heir 4A's.... Fortis has been nagging me to try out some customs and the price of them appeals, what are your thoughts?... also on customer service & turnaround

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,181 of 4,019
Quote:

I thought that is a good thing not to have an excessive midbass bump.  However, why not play around with the EQ a bit?  The Z1070's internal amp is pretty much as good as any portable amps out there through my JH13pro, so your EX1000 shouldn't see that much benefit from additional portable amplifier either.

I thought that until I paired it with a TTVJ slim amp and it went up another level with my JH16's. That is not a negative thing towards the Z which is most probably the most powerful internal amp out there currently hence it's lacklustre playback time but with the slim it had more control and timbre to instruments and opened up what is already a fairly good sound stage on the Z even further.

Good thing about the Z it is at a high enough standard for iem's if you go back from an amp it still sounds ample enough on it's own.  I just found it struggled to properly drive my MDR-Z1000 cans with real authority even thought there was some room left on the volume control of the Z which baffled me a little as the Z1070  should of in theory driven the Z1000 cans just fine. 
Quote:

Been awol since I had my new Tag Mclaren kit come through so have been reacquainted with the speaker domain side of things, fallen back in love after hearing them and will later on get the amps capacitors enlarged by someone that deals with tag gear which would them put them up there with Chord gear for sure, but all for a fraction of the price. 
Got two Tag 250wattt mono blocks for the front B&W speakers,what a difference it makes, i'm finally in reference heaven currently! 

Back to earth anyway, did not know Sharp now made the SE535 OK-G! Lol  

The TF10's from what I used to read from owners had the possibility to be difficult in terms of fit to the ear and comfort..... for some that was, as I know you are apprehensive about iem's comfort  levels in your ears.
thought I would just give you a heads up so you can check the TF10 threads for any views on the fit. 

Shure latest SE535 re-designed is meant to have more bass depth than my older SE530s I used to have and I loved them to bits, well until it was literally in bits with the notorious cable issue cracking issue they had back then which they denied hence why they come to their senses with the new detachable design which every iem should have as standard  now really. I would love to go back to a pair of these most probably out of nostalgia but am afraid it would soon be a short lived affair if I went back to them when up against the JH16's. The Shures really complimented my X series really well, but the Z came two years to late to try them with my old Shures. 

The Westone's are meant to have a pretty warm sig from what I gather and was gutted last time I was @ HHA they had them out of house for someone to demo, so they might pair well with the Z in terms of balancing out maybe. 

Go team GB! 

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,182 of 4,019
Quote:
I thought that until I paired it with a TTVJ slim amp and it went up another level with my JH16's. That is not a negative thing towards the Z which is most probably the most powerful internal amp out there currently hence it's lacklustre playback time but with the slim it had more control and timbre to instruments and opened up what is already a fairly good sound stage on the Z even further.

Good thing about the Z it is at a high enough standard for iem's if you go back from an amp it still sounds ample enough on it's own.  I just found it struggled to properly drive my MDR-Z1000 cans with real authority even thought there was some room left on the volume control of the Z which baffled me a little as the Z1070  should of in theory driven the Z1000 cans just fine. 

Well, I did hear improvement as well, but you will likely hear no improvements from mid-range portable amps over the internal amp unless you spend over $300 for higher end models.  My comparison was done using a Larocco Pocket Refernce, a circa 2006 highend portable amp..    Oh, are you using an Atrac Lossless with your Z1060?

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,183 of 4,019
Quote:
cheers for that Way, appreciated.... I can get a new pair of TF10's shipped from USA for £140 ($200) includes delivery.... the SE535's are the red Ltd. Ed version which have been tweaked to have slightly better highs but I see that as a gamble for £500 ($700+) as I'm buying blind so to speak

just read a review of the Heir 4A's.... Fortis has been nagging me to try out some customs and the price of them appeals, what are your thoughts?... also on customer service & turnaround

I enjoyed the TF10 when I had them. I find the JVC FX700 to be a better phone in terms of bass quality and quantity, more detailed across the frequencies and tremendous timbre.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,184 of 4,019
Fortis... glad you finally got your Tag McLaren's sorted, nothing like a good home-system, enjoy mate truly... talking of Chord Electronics, have you seen their new flagship DAC?, very nice indeedy (the price is £4k I think), they've also released a desktop DAC & Headphone Amp (price for both £1600)... I've wrote to them last week on another matter as there is a space available at the Head-Fi meet in Cambridge, what a coup that would be if they said yes... that would blow all other 'meets' out of the water.

The Shure's are definitely on my list now, Way & your goodself have both mentioned fit problems with the TF10's though I've sent a email to Heir Audio about the 4.A's, what they come back to my questions will be the deal-breaker.

You up for a gander this week?... best to get the drooling out the way
wink_face.gif

Chord Dac

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=74

checkout the Chordette range, that's more desktop orientated.

ps... loving the Olympics, I may go up to London next week for the buzz... the opening ceremony cracked me up with the Queen & 007... unreal... best bit for me was 'Bubbles' being played, that made me well up with pride

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,186 of 4,019
I'm having mild distortion issues with poweramp and playerpro on the Z. 

No problems with the native player.

Can anyone else confirm this? Or do i just have a defective product... running 320kbps...rather, even with higher bit rate files, the issue is recurring.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,187 of 4,019
cheers for that olear, appreciated mate... gotta find something that I can be content with with the WM-Z, I may try a few other IEM's before commiting to 'customs'... I can get the JVC FX700 shipped from Japan for £200, so I may line-up a pre-buyer in case they don't rock my boat (I seem like a right fussy bastad, I ain't really, just looking for a certain type of sound, neutral as possible if that makes sense).

KlaxIndifferent... Fortis or Way may be able to help on this, stupid question I know, have you tried resetting the WM-Z?... I only use stock player.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,188 of 4,019
Quote:
cheers for that olear, appreciated mate... gotta find something that I can be content with with the WM-Z, I may try a few other IEM's before commiting to 'customs'... I can get the JVC FX700 shipped from Japan for £200, so I may line-up a pre-buyer in case they don't rock my boat (I seem like a right fussy bastad, I ain't really, just looking for a certain type of sound, neutral as possible if that makes sense).

KlaxIndifferent... Fortis or Way may be able to help on this, stupid question I know, have you tried resetting the WM-Z?... I only use stock player.

FX700 is a horrible choice if you want a neutral sound. Natural yes, neutral no.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2,189 of 4,019
Quote:
Well, I did hear improvement as well, but you will likely hear no improvements from mid-range portable amps over the internal amp unless you spend over $300 for higher end models.  My comparison was done using a Larocco Pocket Refernce, a circa 2006 highend portable amp..    Oh, are you using an Atrac Lossless with your Z1060?

i had the Ibasso PB1, did not hear to much difference with the X or Z so that one had to go, only came into it's own when paired with the DB1 dac which for £225 thee was not enough justifiable improvement. The Slim thankfully is another proposition and mow makes listening to my MDR-Z1000 cans enjoyable when paired with my Walkman, 

Oh, yes as Ok-Guy pointed out I have recently sold my Z1070 Walkman to fund something that does not come along to often but I personally used only WAV files with my Walkman but I had 64gn to play with.   
Quote:
Fortis... glad you finally got your Tag McLaren's sorted, nothing like a good home-system, enjoy mate truly... talking of Chord Electronics, have you seen their new flagship DAC?, very nice indeedy (the price is £4k I think), they've also released a desktop DAC & Headphone Amp (price for both £1600)... I've wrote to them last week on another matter as there is a space available at the Head-Fi meet in Cambridge, what a coup that would be if they said yes... that would blow all other 'meets' out of the water.

The Shure's are definitely on my list now, Way & your goodself have both mentioned fit problems with the TF10's though I've sent a email to Heir Audio about the 4.A's, what they come back to my questions will be the deal-breaker.

You up for a gander this week?... best to get the drooling out the way
wink_face.gif

Chord Dac

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=74

checkout the Chordette range, that's more desktop orientated.

ps... loving the Olympics, I may go up to London next week for the buzz... the opening ceremony cracked me up with the Queen & 007... unreal... best bit for me was 'Bubbles' being played, that made me well up with pride

Will check out the new Chord stuff when I get in tomorrow, one of those dacs & head amp would go nicely beside me on my glass coffee table!   Not that need more incentive to go to the Cambridge meet but some Chord stuff there would only enhance that. 

The SE535's I think would be a good match with the Z with an educated guess from knowing my old SE530 sig and the Z.I think the new SE535's still maintain their slight hump in the midrange area of past SE5xx which me I personally liked about them and now with the SE535s been improved in bass depth can only imagine this would be intriguing with the Z.  

In your response to Clear stating you want neutral as possible in your iem maybe you should add the flatter Earsonics to the list? Could sound to flat with the Z possibly, might lack dynamics, vibrancy possibly. Trying to think without spending four hours through this thread if someone did use a EarSonic iem with their Z.....

Add for further food for thought to just confuse you even further check this out, I only found out about them from CN11 but is a different take on iem's. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal

Yes, I will be back on the Walkman band wagon asap, I do miss the sound of these with my JH16's but certainly for me anyhow do not miss the ergonomic of this player with it's lack of hard buttons and that stupid thoughtless side Walkman button that is meant to  substitute those playback buttons.

The new F Walkman that has just come out is the size I always wanted anyway 3.5" not to small or big, but again they have chosen not to put physical playback buttons on top of the player, so may be hard for me to digest buying one for that alone plus it obviously would have to be the non capped apanese version again in a 64gb! 

So might be a while until I am back on the Walkman trail if no other new models come out later this year : (
(just hope my X lives longer or I will be forced into a new one!)

Definitely up for a natter some time this week, catch up, need to get some of those plastic cap things off you also ; )

I am very much liking the women's swimming, women's beach volley ball, women' tennis, get me drift! 
Why Arctic Monkey's? 

Quote:
I'm having mild distortion issues with poweramp and playerpro on the Z. 

No problems with the native player.

Can anyone else confirm this? Or do i just have a defective product... running 320kbps...rather, even with higher bit rate files, the issue is recurring.

It sounds like with Poweramp anyway there is a amp; power, pre amp or something along those lines that when switched on causes what you describe so needs to be switched off within the settings section.on the Power amp software.

As I do not have my Z now I cannot look at it to pin point it for you but it was if you have time to troll back to posts starting around March time this year have some of us other Z users who run into same thing which was discussed with the solution there. And from memory I think there is something similar on Playerpro settings that most probably is causing the same issue. Sorry my memory is like a cabbage but hope that might help. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,190 of 4,019
Quote:
i had the Ibasso PB1, did not hear to much difference with the X or Z so that one had to go, only came into it's own when paired with the DB1 dac which for £225 thee was not enough justifiable improvement. The Slim thankfully is another proposition and mow makes listening to my MDR-Z1000 cans enjoyable when paired with my Walkman, 

Forgot to mention, the Z1060's internal amp sounds better than line out + RSA tomahawk via my JH13pro though.  I also have the SE535, and sound very fine out of the Z1060's headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back