NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2,206 of 4,019
Quote:
Firstly thanks for those plastic rca end caps for my hi-fi set up, stella quick despatch, faster than if Superman delivered them! Lol
They are a great price for something that has  made a difference,  so simplistic in it's own right, there I am worrying about power filters, cables and the like when every hi-fi owner should look at doing this straight forward tweak to their unused rca/ coax sockets

PRC200 is a nice Quartz chrono watch, I almost got one for work purposes a couple of years ago, how much will that be going for?
I can see why it is in drawer if you have a Zenith!

I need to get my Omega Seamaster Automatic serviced as it is 10 years old now and stopped wearing it when I got my Fortis Flieger Chrono Pilots Automatic a few years ago and found out Omegas do NOT like been unworn for long periods of time as they seize up like mine has, but I was meant to have a service every five years and never did with my Seamaster! SO just got to cough up £200 for service & repair! 

Actually  both my Fortis Square  & Flieger Chrono watches keep more accurate time than my Omega ever did. 
Not that Omegas sub standard by any means as they do some of the best movements out there but shows how good the movements are in a Fortis unlike say over hyped Tag Heuer's or crappy overpriced Rolex bling watches.  

Anyway's back to the Z it will be interesting to hear how the new Pico amp will sound hooked up to the Z line out and how much improvement it brings... if any.

Sounds like a possible good chain if you go with the Z1070 -> Pico -> Heir 4A. 

the Zenith is just not a watch to me as it has real sentimental value to it, that said it is a superb watch of a simple design, it has a lovely black croc-leather strap, gold casing, white face with a day-date (not actual day), don't know how much it cost as it was a present from a special-person, cost 360 Euro's for the service which included shipping, a detailed report and the guys name who serviced it, its the small things that impresses one... the PRC200 cost me around £300 and it has better quartz movement than any wanky Tag (they use plastic innards on their sports watches and those entry models), I'll try for £150 on eBay which will be a bargain to whom ever gets it, all the original stuff comes with it and that's mint condition too.

I've asked Heir one final question when I hear back I will decide on which model to get... I feel like a kid with three different melting ice-creams to lick, but it could also be one of those $hit or bust moments that could go severely pear-shaped if I don't like what I hear because I'm stuck with it... ho-hum, no pain, no gain.

the new Pico amp looks real dandy in its new case (click on my profile to find link to thread), glad I got this on a pre-order... late September I could be in my portable nirvana, here's to hope.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,207 of 4,019
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm eyeing a z1060 and need to know a few things:
- can Poweramp be installed (bug free?)
- i have almost all my collection in AIFF/FLAC, will it be compatible?
- and last, any reported issues with snow leopard?
Thanks!

yes it can but you have to turn-off something in one of the settings... go back a page or two and you will see the answer (I only use stock player)

it will play flac via Poweramp... Now-What is the best to ask on this and all things Apple (the WM-Z is iTunes compatable, loading music is easy-peasy)

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2,208 of 4,019
Quote:

it will play flac via Poweramp... Now-What is the best to ask on this and all things Apple (the WM-Z is iTunes compatable, loading music is easy-peasy)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I've never so much as pressed a button on anything Apple, for no particular reason. 
I did have a trial version of Poweramp so I could play FLAC on my Z (can't remember if it was 1060 or 1070).  It worked well, but my main reason to use FLAC was a home receiver that had FLAC capability,but that didn't pan out so well & I dropped Poweramp.
      I am the only one I know of on this thread that likes to use the W-control on the Z. In my work vehicle I can leave the Z plugged into a receiver & use the W conveniently for player control, since I can look at it. It took a couple days to get used to using the power button for Poweramp & the W button for the WM player. But it was another minor reason for me to drop Poweramp.  I use MP3 on the 1060 & ATRAC or WAV on the 1070. I believe there are many here that use Poweramp succesfully....

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,209 of 4,019
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I've never so much as pressed a button on anything Apple

somehow I thought you were Mac based, sorry about that Now.

I know forsure that the Z1060 is iTunes compatable as it states that on the tin, so to speak... and I've also used my Sister's iTunes to drop music into my Z1070 (simple 'drag & drop' method)... as for Snow Leopard compatabilty, all I know is those cats have massive paws... hopefully someone that is Mac based can answer Vitor better.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #2,210 of 4,019
Quote:

I am... 

I tried PowerAmp, but switching songs and the weird audio level issue I had, caused me to go to "PlayerPro"... and I have not looked back.  They both play Flac.  I simply open up my Music folder... go into my iTunes music and simply copy the song folder I want over to the "Z".  All my collection is in ALAC Lossless... but I've NEVER had a problem playing these files from either PowerAmp or PlayerPro.  As for the OS, I don't think you'll have an issue... as in my method, you don't need to use iTunes for anything but organizing your collection for play on your Mac.  I currently run Mountain Lion though and was running Lion previously.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2,211 of 4,019
Quote:

I bet it was my complete disgust for Microsoft that threw you off 
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2,212 of 4,019
Quote:
I bet it was my complete disgust for Microsoft that threw you off 
wink_face.gif

defo... I thought to myself Now's gotta be a huge Apple fan so went with the flow... anyhow enough of the blushes, I think I may of solved my Android problem after 'force closing' most programs & deleting the cache's (biggggg mistake), not that anything was wrong with the WM-Z after doing it apart from it being unsellable... I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow, it's novel forsure.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #2,213 of 4,019
Hi, people.

I'll come clean.

I returned my Z out of dissatisfaction and then, upon missing it, bought another several weeks later.

I feel dirty.

My excuse is that my pathetically-unsellable Ipod Touch's sound just doesn't compare. It's great for streaming video, though!

So, it anyone gonna write a review for their Z? Tales of frustration and audiophilia?

I've written an outline of my review and am probably going to publish it with the intention of editing it later.

I'd just like to see some reviews so potential buyers don't have to wade through this insane thread.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2,214 of 4,019
Quote:
Hi, people.

I'll come clean.

I returned my Z out of dissatisfaction and then, upon missing it, bought another several weeks later.

I feel dirty.

My excuse is that my pathetically-unsellable Ipod Touch's sound just doesn't compare. It's great for streaming video, though!

So, it anyone gonna write a review for their Z? Tales of frustration and audiophilia?

I've written an outline of my review and am probably going to publish it with the intention of editing it later.

I'd just like to see some reviews so potential buyers don't have to wade through this insane thread.

Go for it man.  I hate writing review and I think the Z really need more good reviews.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,215 of 4,019
Quote:
Go for it man.  I hate writing review and I think the Z really need more good reviews.

Turok wrote a great review on the Z-Series (Z1070), think I saw one on the Z1050 as well... think the answer for a definitive thread would either be the 'Sony Walkman Z-Series' or the 'Sony Walkman Appreciation Thread' (rival to iPod), the latter covering all models which could be good for all.

this is more a appreciation & help thread and ArqDTX25 should be commended for starting it, has helped me immensely.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,216 of 4,019
my Z1060 fail on me after just a week on so.... the internal speaker is broken.
confused_face%281%29.gif

the headphone out is still working though...

I get it oversea when I am traveling. anyone has similar issue before?

Music out from this little player with SE535 is great though....
L3000.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,217 of 4,019
Quote:
confused_face%281%29.gif

L3000.gif

you should be covered by Sony's international warranty which is usually a year... unless it's a Japanese model (Z1070), then it's only three months.

check with your Sony site... their online customer-service is pretty good for the most (via web-chat), they can usually help.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,218 of 4,019
Quote:

I say you can, b/c the SE535 to my ears are very good sounding and its match well with the Z's explosive and very tuneful bass notes.  However, it will be a noticeably downgrade compared to your JH16pro which should have much better integration from all frequencies (even though I think that it likely will have too much bass for my taste).  Of course, Shure did one heck of a job with the SE535 especially its midrange presentation and better clarity compared to their SE530..   

Cheer's for that sober analysis, To be honest I can get on with not as much bass quantity as the 16's, it would be the detail rendering & clarity that could be noticeable possibly, but I will keep my eyes open down the line for a pair at the right price as they would make a good back up for if the 16's if they ever go down.  
Quote:

the Zenith is just not a watch to me as it has real sentimental value to it, that said it is a superb watch of a simple design, it has a lovely black croc-leather strap, gold casing, white face with a day-date (not actual day), don't know how much it cost as it was a present from a special-person, cost 360 Euro's for the service which included shipping, a detailed report and the guys name who serviced it, its the small things that impresses one... the PRC200 cost me around £300 and it has better quartz movement than any wanky Tag (they use plastic innards on their sports watches and those entry models), I'll try for £150 on eBay which will be a bargain to whom ever gets it, all the original stuff comes with it and that's mint condition too.

I've asked Heir one final question when I hear back I will decide on which model to get... I feel like a kid with three different melting ice-creams to lick, but it could also be one of those $hit or bust moments that could go severely pear-shaped if I don't like what I hear because I'm stuck with it... ho-hum, no pain, no gain.

the new Pico amp looks real dandy in its new case (click on my profile to find link to thread), glad I got this on a pre-order... late September I could be in my portable nirvana, here's to hope.

Same as my Omega "bond" Seamaster (sentiment value), good luck with the PCR200, if I had the £'s left over after my Tag adventure I would of had that of you! 

That is the only big risk with customs if you do not get the chance to demo them first, I would not of go my 16's if I had not demoed them first as I originally was going for the 13pros so demoing was proof in the pudding for me. Don't let that put me of spinning that roulette wheel though! ; ) 

Hopefully the Pico amp will be fairly neutral sounding which will be good in retaining the signature of the Z to shine. 

Best hurry up your ice creams are melting! 

My melting ice creams are  Sony Z1070 again or the new F805 (if Japan 64gb) , Sony RX1000 or NEX7 camera, descent desktop dac, ah the list goes on, not long till X-mas! 
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm eyeing a z1060 and need to know a few things:
- can Poweramp be installed (bug free?)
- i have almost all my collection in AIFF/FLAC, will it be compatible?
- and last, any reported issues with snow leopard?
Thanks!

Might want to hold on till the new NWZ-F800 series arrives as Sony are finally doing FLAC! yes..... FLAC!  if you do not mind the smaller 3.5 screen that is. which will be running Andriods ICS O/S.
Quote:
confused_face%281%29.gif

L3000.gif

Have to say cannot remember anyone having this issue with the speaker going on here, hopefully it's just a one off rare faults that can happen and you still have warranty on it as OK-Guy mentioned.....

Good to hear another harmoniously happy SE535/ Z1000 combo owner ; )

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2,219 of 4,019
After long time with the z I think this is an extremly good and musical player.
I searched over internet for the dac inside it with no success...... Anyone know what dac have iit nside.?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,220 of 4,019
Quote:
I searched over internet for the dac inside it with no success...... Anyone know what dac have iit nside.?

I believe in the first 15-20 pages of this thread the actual DAC is mentioned... one thing I remember forsure is that it is from the same manufacturer who makes the DAC's for the Marantz CD-Players... hope that narrows it a bit for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back