NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 31, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,906 of 4,019
Quote:
Did you compare between the two? I mean, I didn't but people who did agreed that there is a change, so that may be more trustable? 

I did not compare. I have not seen anyone who owns both versions of A860 and compared them. Comparing two different models, one capped and one uncaped, does not tell us anything about the cap doing anything with SQ. 

May 31, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,907 of 4,019
Quote:

I did not compare. I have not seen anyone who owns both versions of A860 and compared them. Comparing two different models, one capped and one uncaped, does not tell us anything about the cap doing anything with SQ. 

Well, there was a guy who compared the A series of the US, EU and Japanese version, just check out my thread.

May 31, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #1,908 of 4,019
Headphone out

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060TF10.htm (See how when you drive the TF10's with the hpo high output impedance signal gets crippled)

Line out:

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060LineOut.htm (See how when you bypass the output impedance of the headphone out things get cool)

TF10 impedance curve

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529287/tf10s-and-impedance

When the frequency response follow the impedance curve of the load then there is a high output impendace. As any engineer could attest.

And i post this not for you but to avoid that other european citizens get the crippled version that Sony sells here.

If we all as customers were more educated and demanding may be Sony wouldn't do these sonic atrocities the units sold across the UE.

May 31, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #1,909 of 4,019
I love my Sony Z! 
biggrin.gif
  I even went out and picked up one of the Media Streamers from Target today... it replaced my Western Digital Streamer... and I once thought about doing an Apple TV, but changed my mind fairly quickly on that one.

May 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,910 of 4,019
Are there any freq. response graphs for the US or Japan Z's?? 

May 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,911 of 4,019
I was not going to take part in this thread but  there is  much nonsense and misinformation that kept being spread around similar forums. Since when low Z had any relation to SQ? I heard enough desktop amp with High Z performing noticeably better that some with close to zero impedance, I know that it is just not the case, and the Z1060 is another proof of that. While having a small Z often make pairing an amp with various headphone easier it is no guarantee of the quality of the amp.
My main priority is always  transparency and SQ. I always avoid the use of EQ and see gadgets such as the ZO thingy as aberration, and I have no issue about the quality of the amp in the Z with my FX700 and PFE232, which both sounded noticeably better to my ear than my previous iPod Touch 4G and Cowon players.
I don't deny that the high impedance of the Z1060 might be an issue with very  few iems.

May 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,912 of 4,019
Quote:
I was not going to take part in this thread but  there is  much nonsense and misinformation that kept being spread around similar forums. Since when low Z had any relation to SQ? I heard enough desktop amp with High Z performing noticeably better that some with close to zero impedance, I know that it is just not the case, and the Z1060 is another proof of that. While having a small Z often make pairing an amp with various headphone easier it is no guarantee of the quality of the amp.
My main priority is always  transparency and SQ. I always avoid the use of EQ and see gadgets such as the ZO thingy as aberration, and I have no issue about the quality of the amp in the Z with my FX700 and PFE232, which both sounded noticeably better to my ear than my previous iPod Touch 4G and Cowon players.
I don't deny that the high impedance of the Z1060 might be an issue with very  few iems.

Since when low Z had any relation to SQ?

I guess since electricity was discovered.

Check this article whenever you have the time.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discus...-headphone-amp

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,916 of 4,019
Quote:

About time someone was, last few pages have been like watching pre-school kids at times arguing in perpetual motion, surprised it got this far... maybe this thread can go back on topic rather than just bickering about who's got a bigger boat. 

Anyway, I wanted to originally say to get back on topic if anyone else finds who has the Japanese Z with latest firmware update if their o/s a bit laggy at times? 

Have experienced stock music player slow/ delayed to open sometimes and WI-FI can be a bit slow to launch and has once failed to engage when turned on so had to switch off and back on to re-fresh it.

Have had the WI-FI once in a while drop all together and the side Walkman button to engage playback screen when locked is still all over the place with delay in the playback screen coming on and then when it does disappears to fast. 

Hoping there is another update coming sooner rather than later. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,917 of 4,019
Quote:
About time someone was, last few pages have been like watching pre-school kids at times arguing in perpetual motion, surprised it got this far... maybe this thread can go back on topic rather than just bickering about who's got a bigger boat. 

Anyway, I wanted to originally say to get back on topic if anyone else finds who has the Japanese Z with latest firmware update if their o/s a bit laggy at times? 

Have experienced stock music player slow/ delayed to open sometimes and WI-FI can be a bit slow to launch and has once failed to engage when turned on so had to switch off and back on to re-fresh it.

Have had the WI-FI once in a while drop all together and the side Walkman button to engage playback screen when locked is still all over the place with delay in the playback screen coming on and then when it does disappears to fast. 

Hoping there is another update coming sooner rather than later. 

Looks like I wasn't the one that suffers the lag of the stock music player. May I ask if you experience the lag while locking the device ON the stock music player and then proceed to unlocking the device?

Well, you should try using third party music application. I did and the lag seems to be reduce tremendously.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #1,918 of 4,019
Quote:

Looks like I wasn't the one that suffers the lag of the stock music player. May I ask if you experience the lag while locking the device ON the stock music player and then proceed to unlocking the device?

Well, you should try using third party music application. I did and the lag seems to be reduce tremendously.

Have had it judder and think about what to do when unlocking in general even though stock music player is not in use.
When stock music player is playing and unlocking I think it may of happened but cannot remember if it has for sure, so will keep an eye on that. 

Another thing I have noticed when listening to music is the lock screen seems to flash up for a brief second or two and dim out again and it will do this in quick succession two or three times in the space of say two minutes (strange??)

Have not had too much quality time with the Z in last two weeks but now I am off for a few days I will keep an eye on lagging with the lock screen whilst music player is in use.

I have downloaded Poweramp & Player pro and even though I have an apparent licence issue not letting me use Poweramp currently despite not long purchasing the thing I found even though both third party players an intriguing sound I still prefer the stock sig to the third party players but have noticed that depending on the headphone or iem can react differently with each of these players whether for better or worse.

I do wonder if these third party players software can be conflicting at all with the stock player?

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #1,919 of 4,019
Quote:
Have had it judder and think about what to do when unlocking in general even though stock music player is not in use.
When stock music player is playing and unlocking I think it may of happened but cannot remember if it has for sure, so will keep an eye on that. 

Another thing I have noticed when listening to music is the lock screen seems to flash up for a brief second or two and dim out again and it will do this in quick succession two or three times in the space of say two minutes (strange??)

Have not had too much quality time with the Z in last two weeks but now I am off for a few days I will keep an eye on lagging with the lock screen whilst music player is in use.

I have downloaded Poweramp & Player pro and even though I have an apparent licence issue not letting me use Poweramp currently despite not long purchasing the thing I found even though both third party players an intriguing sound I still prefer the stock sig to the third party players but have noticed that depending on the headphone or iem can react differently with each of these players whether for better or worse.

I do wonder if these third party players software can be conflicting at all with the stock player?

Hmm, about the flashing lock screen, I did not encounter any case or anything similar. But I do have other problems with the stock players, which led me to use other music application instead of the stock music player. Well, I dare to say that the stock music application isn't really stable(causing lots of problem), such as

1) Lagging lock screen
2) Songs unable to play due to error (Weird, as it plays perfectly on PowerAmp)
3) Made my Z Walkman crash and have to reset in order to play music again
4) Random pause on on track, even with the screen lock
5) More lag issues

Hence, I did move on to other music player like Neutron, Player and PowerAmp and I'm surprised they sounds differently. About the headphones sounding different, it is known that Z Walkman is quite picky on headphones/IEM/earphones(Well, at least at the other forum). Which I sort of agree; my UM3X doesn't sound very nice with it, unless I heavily EQ it.

And no to your question. The player software won't conflict with each other, example...

When I use PowerAmp to play music, then I switch to the stock player (While PowerAmp is still playing), the stock player will stop the PowerAmp before it starts playing their own songs and vice versa.

Apologize for my bad English.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,920 of 4,019
I'd love to compile a list of full-size headphones that head-fier's are using with the Z. Perhaps anyone who wishes to participate could PM me (rather than litter the thread) with the model and their opinion as to the volume-level they use for normal listening. Referring to the HO rather than LO.

Also, has anyone used the ATH-ES10 with the Sony?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back