NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,741 of 4,019
Quote:

I want to go back to a home desktop rig again ( be nice to have a dac and head amp once I have got my portable domain in place, which will not be until I have one more pair of customs maybe the FS MG6pro's and hopefully the TTVJ slim will be a keeper then I will be set until Sony bring out the perfect Z replacement! 

I get a bit confused when people talk about Desktop-Rigs & Portable-Rigs as I never really got into that side of things until i discovered Head-fi... when I read stuff from Fortis, Way, Turock, Now, HiFlight & Anak I realise how out of my depth I am on the Desk/Portable side of things... Fortis having mentioned Desktop thought I'd put a link to 'Rega' equipment via a respected dealer... most of you wouldn't of heard of Rega but their equipment has a massive following in the UK, it is very musical and is aimed squarely at audiophiles, their DAC's & Headphone amps are on par with Musical-Fidelity but are more cost effective... anyhow here's a link (all available in 240/110v) -

http://www.homemedialimited.co.uk/hi-fi-products/rega-products-en.html

Rega history on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZAhN26zWJ0&feature=relmfu

May 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,742 of 4,019
Quote:

I get a bit confused when people talk about Desktop-Rigs & Portable-Rigs as I never really got into that side of things until i discovered Head-fi... when I read stuff from Fortis, Way, Turock, Now, HiFlight & Anak I realise how out of my depth I am on the Desk/Portable side of things...

OK-GUY, are you including me in this rather, um,... Heady company?  I take that as a compliment.   I'm rather new to the headphone scene.  I do have a pair of Stax from decades ago, but I haven't seen the interface unit lately...

My portable rig is a 3.5mm patch cord from the WM HP port to my car receiver's aux. input.

Desktop rig?   I got a new Denon AV receiver (4311CI)  last week. Although they give special bells and whistles for Ipods, I found that I can use the WM 22pin to USB cord to connect the WM to the receiver and listen using speakers or my new Denon AH-D5000 HPs.          (I blame this thread for lightening my wallet!).
wink_face.gif
  (Incidently, the Denon website is hinting at new headphones coming soon, but too late for me.)  
 I can probably use the same USB/WM cord to connect to the TV or the Blu-Ray player.  Do those also count as desktop rigs?  Maybe I can network using Cat6 cable from the receiver to the PC to the WM thru the PC USB port...

Man, so many ways to connect these days!

May 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,743 of 4,019
Quote:
Interesting... I think I'm done for now.  I have my Z-1060, my CIEMS (going out for a re-fit), and my TF10 with Cable and Comply tips.  Has anyone had any luck finding replacement for Complys?  I want something with similar fit and seal, but that lasts more than a couple of weeks.  I also have another question... with PlayerPro... I've been playing with the EQ (and aptly named it TripleFi10), so that I can bring the mids back in-line with the rest, but haven't found my perfect setting.  Has anyone else done this, what are your EQ settings?

what happens to your Complys?  I've been using mine for at least a year and they seem fine...use them a lot, too...  Do they start falling apart? 

too much earwax makes them compacted and not seal anymore?  haha, just wondering

Looking to custom reshell my tf10s.  What cable do you have?  can you recommend a reshell service?  :xf_eek:

May 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #1,744 of 4,019
Quote:

what happens to your Complys?  I've been using mine for at least a year and they seem fine...use them a lot, too...  Do they start falling apart? 

too much earwax makes them compacted and not seal anymore?  haha, just wondering

Looking to custom reshell my tf10s.  What cable do you have?  can you recommend a reshell service?  :xf_eek:

I'm not sure... I do clean my ears daily, but they seem to fall apart.  Granted... this is only my 1st set of replacements, as I've not really had my TF10s that long.  It just seems like 2 weeks is about as long as 1 set will take.  Though, when I do sit down and listen, I listen for a few hours at a time.  As for reshelling... I'm not sure.  I've not reshelled mine.  I was thinking of doing this with InEarz, as that's who is going to do my re-fit of my current CIEMs.

May 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,750 of 4,019
Quote:
It's like any android phone out there with the 2.3 firmware except it doesn't have a phone or camera function. 

I  like to add, but its sound is like no android phone out there.

May 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,753 of 4,019
Quote:
so i can play back flac files with poweramp? in terms of registering the device, if i already have a phone linked to my gmail account, can i have this linked the same gmail account?

Yes you can have multiple devices on your account :)
And yes you can play FLAC using third party players.

I do want this over the Cowon J3 but price is a lot more then I am willing to spend for the 32GB version.

May 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,754 of 4,019
Quote:

Yes you can have multiple devices on your account :)
And yes you can play FLAC using third party players.

I do want this over the Cowon J3 but price is a lot more then I am willing to spend for the 32GB version.

Interesting.. i'll defintely be checking it out, but i have gotten used to the idea of just havig my phone on me for music

May 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,755 of 4,019
Quote:

I get a bit confused when people talk about Desktop-Rigs & Portable-Rigs as I never really got into that side of things until i discovered Head-fi... when I read stuff from Fortis, Way, Turock, Now, HiFlight & Anak I realise how out of my depth I am on the Desk/Portable side of things... Fortis having mentioned Desktop thought I'd put a link to 'Rega' equipment via a respected dealer... most of you wouldn't of heard of Rega but their equipment has a massive following in the UK, it is very musical and is aimed squarely at audiophiles, their DAC's & Headphone amps are on par with Musical-Fidelity but are more cost effective... anyhow here's a link (all available in 240/110v) -

A desktop rig for me is a full size headphone amp that drives the hungry cans with either source been my Walkman or home cd player. 

I had a year or so ago a Naim Headline2 amp with the NAPSC power supply which I used with a pair of AKG 702s' with mod cable from Double Helix and used my X1060 in its docking cradle through the line out. 

I have a nice size glass coffee table next to me which I have my set up on and also used my Arcam cd player but lumping it from it's home with the HI-fi speaker set up from the other side of the room gets a bit tedious to say the least.

I sold the Naim & AKG's to help fund my customs at the time as I wanted to one day go up the ladder on the desktop set up so my plan is to go for a £500-1K head amp with a £500-1K DAC and get a dedicated cd player which stays full time beside on my coffee table.  

The Mdac despite its reported reliability issues and the Rega dac which are on that link you provided appeal to me for the money.  

I am just hoping Sony actually make a charge/dock station like they did for the previous Walkmans so I can hook up via line out whilst it sits pretty playing it's tunes. 

200x200px-ZC-55997101_94fc531adc1f1fbb7943d4a4e28034f8.jpg
200x200px-ZC-20e47b29_11ce4dc5a5c51b4ab9a2dead72f62c10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back