NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,202 of 4,019

Quote:
It's NICE! ...but not $65 nice.

Yep, that is quite a high price for case.  I'm going to wait for 3rd party case from Tuffluv if they ever elect to release one for the Z walkman.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,203 of 4,019
How is the sound similar to iphone 4???!  The reason I was put off apple because many ppl say their sound aint good.  I may have to get an ipod touch now, I love their interface and will sync with my ipad :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,204 of 4,019
The iPod 5.5G was nice and mellow. The 6G and iPod touch made the highs more pronounced and instrument separation sounded better.  The iPhone 4 and 4s to me don't sound as good as the 6G or 4G Touch.  I think the WM-Z sounds better than all of those.  Again, this is all my opinion, and all through custom cabled TripleFi 10.

Quote:
How is the sound similar to iphone 4???!  The reason I was put off apple because many ppl say their sound aint good.  I may have to get an ipod touch now, I love their interface and will sync with my ipad :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,205 of 4,019

Quote:

Significantly better in my opinion.  The iPhone 4 is a very decent sounding device but it lacks overall fidelity of a dedicate portable music player.  I noticed less dynamics, details and over all sound quality in comparison to Z walkman.  The 4th generation iPod touch isn't bad either but again my Z1060 is clearly superior sounding.

Quote:
The iPod 5.5G was nice and mellow. The 6G and iPod touch made the highs more pronounced and instrument separation sounded better.  The iPhone 4 and 4s to me don't sound as good as the 6G or 4G Touch.  I think the WM-Z sounds better than all of those.  Again, this is all my opinion, and all through custom cabled TripleFi 10.

I pretty much hear the exact same thing.  iPhone 4 < iPod touch 4G <Sony X1060 <Sony Z1060.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,206 of 4,019

Quote:

Significantly better in my opinion.  The iPhone 4 is a very decent sounding device but it lacks overall fidelity of a dedicate portable music player.  I noticed less dynamics, details and over all sound quality in comparison to Z walkman.  The 4th generation iPod touch isn't bad either but again my Z1060 is clearly superior sounding.

I pretty much hear the exact same thing.  iPhone 4 < iPod touch 4G <Sony X1060 <Sony Z1060.

ok thanks, hopefully i wont get buyers remorse from this!  I am already planning to sell it even though I haven;t received the player, I think the wait is too long...

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,208 of 4,019

Quote:

I have been reading more reviews online and a part of me thinks I should just stick with the Cowon and save money.  I tracked my parcel a few minutes ago and its still in Tokyo...was dispatched on Saturday.  And I can;'t even cancel my order because it is still in transit.  Its really frustrating. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,209 of 4,019

Have I declared my love for my Z1060 in front of you guys? I think I just might have..I don't have the fancy snazzy earphones you guys have I have a CKS77 which for me is mind blowing on my Z. Thanks to the lord all mighty for this thread as I was very close to getting a A865. I knew headfi would take care of me.
Quote:
Thanks, the JH5s really sound great with the Z (no doubt the JH13s would be even better), and the W3s are not far behind. Need to check out the other two, but doubtful if they will be competitive with my main two phones. Across the board  though the Z1060 does give those two phones a nice little lift (not that they sound bad with my other sources).

As for the iPhone4 vs. Z1060, the latter is a better listening device, but for on the go with EQu and decent phones (I use the W3s on the road), the sound is plenty good considering ambient noise, etc. I just can't bear carrying around an iPhone and the Z, so the Z will be used at home, when listening to get all the great sound out of it. I don't really wince or anything when I listen to the IP4 after listening to the Z at home. Just different uses, and one device is all I want in my pocket outside on city streets. I even use a BT device with my IP4 now, because of the risk of theft, which is rising fast for smartphones.

Anyway, I do agree, the Z is better, but I can live with the sound considering all the flexibility the IP4 gives me out on the road.

ksc75smile.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,210 of 4,019

Quote:
don't bother UEL, they're $8k.... out of my range.
angry_face.gif

How can that be out of your range when the following is true?
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Quote:
MuppetFace said:

The Fostex TH900 when paired with the DX100 has been incredibly enjoyable for me. Definitely reference system-level sound to my ears.

both together cost less than my RCA Inteconnects & Speaker Cables.... I prefer not to think about how much the rest cost

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,211 of 4,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can that be out of your range when the following is true?
evil_smiley.gif

$8k is practically what I'm paying for my new home set-up & I know what I'd prefer out of the two.

with regard to the Fostex/DX100.... thought that was going a tad too far being compared to a audiophile home set-up so thought I'd hint at the basic requirements.... best to have reality checks at times, don't you think  
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,212 of 4,019

Quote:

$8k is practically what I'm paying for my new home set-up & I know what I'd prefer out of the two.

with regard to the Fostex/DX100.... thought that was going a tad too far being compared to a audiophile home set-up so thought I'd hint at the basic requirements.... best to have reality checks at times, don't you think  
wink_face.gif

You have always wanted the best for every category so I am giving you a chance to take a shot at the top of the top =)

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,213 of 4,019
I still feel that this DAP is still one of the pickiest I've owned so far. The Westone 4 has weak vocals when used with the Z1000 series, it sounds great with the Vsonic GR06, has great soundstage with the XBA-3, but very recessed soundstage with the IE80. Very picky DAP, at least in comparison with the iBasso.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #1,215 of 4,019

Quote:
I still feel that this DAP is still one of the pickiest I've owned so far. The Westone 4 has weak vocals when used with the Z1000 series, it sounds great with the Vsonic GR06, has great soundstage with the XBA-3, but very recessed soundstage with the IE80. Very picky DAP, at least in comparison with the iBasso.

this is where the limitations of the WM-Z are shown up with direct comparison to the DX100, I know Turok thinks the WM-Z is a more complete package but he's judging it as a sum of all things.... where I can understand that the WM-Z may beat the DX100 in one or two music genre areas, the DX100 has it resoundly beaten in connectivity, sound cards, hi-res capability, flac and ajustable gain settings.

IBasso & Sony should both be applauded for raising the bar SQ wise in Daps, just a pity the hi-fi industry 'made for iPod' brigade is blind to what's actually going on..... 'long live zee revolution' I say 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back