NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 29, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #91 of 4,019

Quote:
The NW-Z1070's SQ is closer (meaning as good as better to me) to the X than the A series.

Glad to hear that : )

Are you able to elaborate on what  SQ differences there are between the Z1070 and the X1060 FenderP?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #92 of 4,019

Quote:
Glad to hear that : )

Are you able to elaborate on what  SQ differences there are between the Z1070 and the X1060 FenderP?

I need to update my other thread about it  (
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584571/head-to-head-comparison-s-master-nw-x1060-nw-a847-vs-s-master-mx-nw-a1070#post_7958632.
) - I honestly haven't had time. Between the trip to Japan, coming back and dealing with work, plus the holidays ... it's been pretty busy. I need to find dedicated time to do an A-B, but both beat the A847 in all respects. I haven't heard the latest generation of the A (the A86x series), so it may have improved. They had it in Japan but I didn't listen because it wasn't my music and it's hard to do in a store like Yodobashi or Bic Camera - or even Sony's showroom in Ginza.

I am happy with the Z so far. I'm listening with the MDR-7550 IEMs (same as the MDR-EX800ST in Japan). I'm half considering getting the MDR-NWNC200 headphones which are made to work expressly with the Z.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #93 of 4,019

Quote:

Is the leather case and plastic version you are talking of the Sony branded ones as usually the Sony cases are spot on in terms of fitting, style and quality of materials used. Never find third party cases quite as good going by previous attempts from third party co's of players of yesteryear.

It seems to me that Sony's moving away from docks. The Z is just so big in comparison to, say, the A series. The Sony case fits like a glove. The third party cases in Japan are good. I also bought one of the Ray-Out ones (RT-SZ10C3/N) as a backup (the kickstand on the plastic bit in the flip case seems VERY flimsy). It's a good fit as well. I chose that particular case because unlike some of the others, it has cutouts in the right places for all the side buttons and the speakers in the back. I will agree that all of the third party cases I saw were NOT created equal.

I did buy an extra privacy filter (PRF-NWP43) as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #94 of 4,019

Quote:

It seems to me that Sony's moving away from docks. The Z is just so big in comparison to, say, the A series. The Sony case fits like a glove. The third party cases in Japan are good. I also bought one of the Ray-Out ones (RT-SZ10C3/N) as a backup (the kickstand on the plastic bit in the flip case seems VERY flimsy). It's a good fit as well. I chose that particular case because unlike some of the others, it has cutouts in the right places for all the side buttons and the speakers in the back. I will agree that all of the third party cases I saw were NOT created equal.

I did buy an extra privacy filter (PRF-NWP43) as well.

Thanks for sharing that, will definitely be going with the Sony leather case when I get the Z1070.

Hopefully Sony will produce a dock/sync base for the Z1070 (NWU-8!?) as it would be fitting for their new flagship Android Walkman to have one, but Sony are known for every few gen models to not bother going the extra yard in doing any accessories or not a full range anyway and has been a few ears since that happened.

Hopefully not about to be the Z1070 that suffers this fate by not having a nice dock for it to charge & sync, not forgetting the line out jack they have. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #95 of 4,019

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that, will definitely be going with the Sony leather case when I get the Z1070.

Hopefully Sony will produce a dock/sync base for the Z1070 (NWU-8!?) as it would be fitting for their new flagship Android Walkman to have one, but Sony are known for every few gen models to not bother going the extra yard in doing any accessories or not a full range anyway and has been a few ears since that happened.

Hopefully not about to be the Z1070 that suffers this fate by not having a nice dock for it to charge & sync, not forgetting the line out jack they have. 

If you're talking about this case (http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/CKL-NWZ1000/) - it's the leather one. I have it. If you never take it out to stand it up, the build quality will be fine. Or are you talking about another one? And I would say outside of Japan, your only option will most likely be Sony cases. The only annoying part of that case is you need to open it every time you want to change albums, etc. So if you fiddle with your Walkman more often than not, it may not be the right case. Although you can ditch the leather/flip part and just use the plastic bit as the case, too.

I have two line out cables for my WM-Port - this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCI2CI/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details) and I just picked up the longer version of it while in Japan.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #96 of 4,019

Quote:

If you're talking about this case (http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/CKL-NWZ1000/) - it's the leather one. I have it. If you never take it out to stand it up, the build quality will be fine. Or are you talking about another one? And I would say outside of Japan, your only option will most likely be Sony cases. The only annoying part of that case is you need to open it every time you want to change albums, etc. So if you fiddle with your Walkman more often than not, it may not be the right case. Although you can ditch the leather/flip part and just use the plastic bit as the case, too.

I have two line out cables for my WM-Port - this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCI2CI/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details) and I just picked up the longer version of it while in Japan.

Yes, the CKL- NWZ1000 leather case was the one I was referring to. Reassuring it is a good case which I will only use for it's sole purpose (not a stand)  And for me this was the only glaring omission from this player which should be mandatory on all their touch screen models is tactile playback buttons so when it is in a case or pocket I can still operate it by feel just like the X series which had them on the top of the player.

This for me is the only unforgivable and un-excusable oversight from Sony and I know this will be a major bug bear for me when on the go in my pocket to just do a simple task of skipping to the next track for example.   

Even the new A series had tactile buttons, but (a big but at that) put them in completely the wrong place on the lower side of the player rendering it pointless having them at all if that is going to be where they are. Can only hope Sony realize this essential need for upcoming models in the future that are touch screen variety.   

I have a TWag lod for when using with my ibasso amp. 

So how is the new Z sound compared to the X SQ? : )  

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #97 of 4,019

Quote:
I need to update my other thread about it  (
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584571/head-to-head-comparison-s-master-nw-x1060-nw-a847-vs-s-master-mx-nw-a1070#post_7958632.
) - I honestly haven't had time. Between the trip to Japan, coming back and dealing with work, plus the holidays ... it's been pretty busy. I need to find dedicated time to do an A-B, but both beat the A847 in all respects. I haven't heard the latest generation of the A (the A86x series), so it may have improved. They had it in Japan but I didn't listen because it wasn't my music and it's hard to do in a store like Yodobashi or Bic Camera - or even Sony's showroom in Ginza.

I am happy with the Z so far. I'm listening with the MDR-7550 IEMs (same as the MDR-EX800ST in Japan). I'm half considering getting the MDR-NWNC200 headphones which are made to work expressly with the Z.

Sorry, missed this post! yep, totally understandable, it has taken me a quite a while to get back to been active on head-fi after a busy few months with work etc, never enough hours in the day, will keep an eye out for your impressions for when they happen as I will not be getting the Z1070 at least until the UK spec is available (if uncapped) : (

Are the MDR-NWNC200 noise cancelling headphones?  Like the looks of the MDR-7550's, look as if they have detachable cables. 

I had the Sony Z1000's studio headphones arrive today, got them at a very good price and they sound okay even straight from the X Walkman un-amped, and have shown signs of sounding terrific with good recordings when amped.

Early days yet, needs plenty of burn in time to tame it a bit from what I have heard so far to pass judgement on them.  

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #100 of 4,019

Quote:
Are the MDR-NWNC200 noise cancelling headphones?  Like the looks of the MDR-7550's, look as if they have detachable cables. 

Yes, the NWNC200s are noise cancelling specifically made to work with the internal NC app in the Z. I assume they're just modified MDR-NC200D cans. I did listen to them a bit in Bic Camera the day before I got the unit and they didn't sound bad. The 7550s are good, but on long haul trips, any IEM I've had gets uncomfortable after awhile. The only exception were my custom Westone ES2s which have long since bit the dust.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #101 of 4,019
wow... this power amp player rules :) so anyone tried it with built effects like clear stereo ? :) Does they stack?

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #102 of 4,019
Three questions 1. Can this player surf the net like any android phone? 2. can it run most of the android apps such as angry birds etc, or is the app store on it pretty much limited? 3. Is the white version out on the 17th Feb?

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #104 of 4,019

Quote:
wow... this power amp player rules :) so anyone tried it with built effects like clear stereo ? :) Does they stack?

Power amp bypasses all the built in effects of the Walkman. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back