NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jan 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #137 of 4,019
The last generation E series uses a mini usb connection.  I thought it strange that they would go in that direction, just for one line of the product and then go right back to the old proprietary cable.  Sometimes I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #139 of 4,019

Quote:
There really no excuse for not being micro USB these days. 

No there is not, be interesting to know the thinking behind why they still keep the 22 pin WMPort connector going and why they think this is the best way to go. 

I'm not a connector expert so wonder if there are advantages over usb connections technically that Apple & Sony feel with their pin connectors make it worth the while or if it is just the obsession and greed of simply it being propriety to keep it all locked into one brand.

Only good thing like szadzik pointed out is you do not have to get new lod cables every time they bring out a new model, but if everyone just used the same connector across the board as a industry standard and dropped all this propriety bs then that would be nice!

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #140 of 4,019

Quote:
No there is not, be interesting to know the thinking behind why they still keep the 22 pin WMPort connector going and why they think this is the best way to go. 

I'm not a connector expert so wonder if there are advantages over usb connections technically that Apple & Sony feel with their pin connectors make it worth the while or if it is just the obsession and greed of simply it being propriety to keep it all locked into one brand.

Only good thing like szadzik pointed out is you do not have to get new lod cables every time they bring out a new model, but if everyone just used the same connector across the board as a industry standard and dropped all this propriety bs then that would be nice!

And you think suddenly all manufacturers will use the same pinout for LODs over uUSB? Forget about it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #141 of 4,019
So many pages but very limited info on the snund quality. How does this compare to the cowon?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #142 of 4,019

Quote:
And you think suddenly all manufacturers will use the same pinout for LODs over uUSB? Forget about it.

I  choose the generic term using the phrase "connectors" but should of said and did intend that they all should be using mini usb as standard would be nice - just like when they had to come in line with cell phones having 3.5 jacks instead of their own propriety jacks a year or two back. 

Obviously it would be mad to think for example Sony or Apple would change to one another's connector format I'm not that naive thank's ; )

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #143 of 4,019
I'm going with the Cowon Z2,...screw Sony!!! 
L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #145 of 4,019
I just ordered the 64GB online and it will take approx 2 weeks to reach my country. It isn't that expensive if you are going through the proper channels but it is certainly troublesome as compared to the more expensive option (whiterabbitexpress). I do not know whether it is cost effective to do so if you're living in the states and i live in asia so shipping is relatively cheap from japan.

It was either the cowon Z2 or the walkman Z (LOL at the Zs) but i chose the latter as it has much more to offer at a slightly higher price. And being a cowon user for the past 3 years, I decided to take the risk for something different. 

Current walkman Z users: Sony will be releasing another updated firmware approx next week.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #146 of 4,019

Quote:
I just ordered the 64GB online and it will take approx 2 weeks to reach my country. It isn't that expensive if you are going through the proper channels but it is certainly troublesome as compared to the more expensive option (whiterabbitexpress). I do not know whether it is cost effective to do so if you're living in the states and i live in asia so shipping is relatively cheap from japan.

Where do you order it from?

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #147 of 4,019
Amazon.jp -- > choose retailer / default amazon (if they have stocks) -- > tenso.com (japan forwarding service) --- > to your country (singapore for me)

Be prepared for a troublesome experience. Well the tradeoff is that you can get the walkman Z cheaper than whiterabbitexpress. I even learnt to recognize some japanese words in the process (google translator aint of much help).

Please take not that Japan practices an open market for their electronical products so prices do not always stay the same.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #148 of 4,019
Amazon.jp -- > choose retailer / default amazon (if they have stocks) -- > tenso.com (japan forwarding service) --- > to your country (singapore for me)

Be prepared for a troublesome experience. Well the tradeoff is that you can get the walkman Z cheaper than whiterabbitexpress. I even learnt to recognize some japanese words in the process (google translator aint of much help).

Please take not that Japan practices an open market for their electronical products so prices do not always stay the same.

Oh you're from Singapore too! Care for a short meetup? I've my Sony a865 we can compare their difference and similarity :)

Will the total cost Sgd700 plus? they'll need to use FedEx and there's a tax possibility.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #149 of 4,019

Quote:
Oh you're from Singapore too! Care for a short meetup? I've my Sony a865 we can compare their difference and similarity
smily_headphones1.gif

Will the total cost Sgd700 plus? they'll need to use FedEx and there's a tax possibility.

Haha definitely much lesser than that. I got mine at ~530SGD and add another 60 bucks for the 7% tax and shipping.

Sure thing.. but it will take some time before i'll receive my set. I was told that the Z series is an improvement over the A series from some of the japanese reviews. 

Btw, I didnt expect the walkman series to have lots of power. The A865 drove my ES5 fairly easily..

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #150 of 4,019
Haha definitely much lesser than that. I got mine at ~530SGD and add another 60 bucks for the 7% tax and shipping.

Sure thing.. but it will take some time before i'll receive my set. I was told that the Z series is an improvement over the A series from some of the japanese reviews. 

Btw, I didnt expect the walkman series to have lots of power. The A865 drove my ES5 fairly easily..

Wow tenso quoted you so little for the FedEx shipping? hmm how did you managed that?

I decided for A865 because of size consideration. Didn't want another device that looks like my Sony phone that also runs android.

es5 is one of the easiest to drive iem around, perhaps too easy to my liking. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back