New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 13, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #3,571 of 4,199
That would be fantastic, and much appreciated. If anyone has had any good luck with other open-backed cans to use with either DAP, please let me know.
It will be a curious exercise to connect the HD800S to the A306. I have the iBasso DX320 with amp12. It puts out 1200mw vs the A306 uncapped 160mw. The capped only puts out 0.4-1.1mw. Both at 32ohms. I'll be curious to your thoughts.

Hi JerryHead and Daniel Johnston,

It's been a while since the last time I've checked in here, as work has been busy for the past few weeks.

I've taken some time at home last Sunday to give a listen to the HD800S (from XLR-4.4 interconnect to 4.4-3.5 interconnect) with A306 (Japan model, uncapped), and I'd have to say it's a decent pairing for casual listening with most instrumentals (at slow to moderate tempo) and solo vocal tracks.

All tracks were streamed on Tidal, and the majority of music I listen to are classical (mostly orchestral, piano and strings, and some opera) and some jazz (mostly instrumental and some vocals).

Starting with a classical orchestral track ‘Spiritualist’ by Jeff Bailey, the first thing I noticed is the broadened closeness in presentation of stage, with noticeably scaled down width & depth and slightly less so in height (as opposed to a much more expansive and spacious stage with airy feel from desktop balanced headphone amp & dac setup). Instruments are played closer to one another than they normally do, and the slightly relaxed but intimate soundscape of the stage gives the impression that the orchestra is being played in a smaller concert venue.

Transients come off with a more softened edge, but not to the point of sounding/feeling 'blunt.' There is still some slight dense swift feel in the way notes of instruments and vocals are presented with enough body & macrodetail from lows to mids and relatively so in the highs. Where this becomes more of a miss from this pairing is the closeness of instruments reaching a near overlap which can give the kind of impression as if sounds of instruments are almost clashing towards their space and position in a closer presented stage.

Imaging and layering are not the most prominent in dynamics and detailed separation. In multiple transitions at moderate fast tempo that involve a row of violinists to the next row of instrumentalists, on to the pianist and over to the trombone and drums and back, arrangement of these sounds can come off a bit smeared with a sort of 'blurred' panning effect and more closely positioned to one another with less spatial distance and placement.

With the same pairing, I found a similar effect from another classical track 'Beau soir, L.6' (arranged by A. Gretchaninov, for piano & cello) by Boris Pergamenschikow, where the decay of each note played from the piano resonates more softly and fades unnaturally into the background. Cello sounded more defined in tonal body with slightly more denseness and detail presented upfront, but lacked some realism and presence in decay, and also how unnaturally 'flat' it felt with a lack of some airiness and layering/separation.

HD800S-XLRto4.4to3.5-A306-1.jpg
'Beau soir, L.6' (arranged by A. Gretchaninov, for piano & cello) by Boris Pergamenschikow (streamed from Tidal), on Sennheiser HD800S with XLR 4-pin balanced (to XLR-4.4 interconnect and 4.4-3.5 unbalanced interconnect) and Sony NW-A306 (Japan model, uncapped).

HD800S-XLRto4.4to3.5-A306-2.jpg
Despite some tonal and imaging flaws, the HD800S (@ 300 ohms) is a decent enjoyable/musical pairing with A306 (Japan model, uncapped @ 35mW per channel).

Following that same day, sometime in the afternoon, after reading enough impressions and thoughts of the Sony WF-1000XM5 on the XM5 thread as well as on this thread, I purchased a set (and Spinfit CP360 eartips) from Amazon the night before, and I found the XM5 to pair well with A306 (uncapped, with LDAC - sound quality mode on), with very decent comfort in fit (sits fairly firm and secure along the concha of my ears, without any hotspots nor significant discomfort) and wear (for few hours of listening at a time, until the earbuds start to lose some grip and seal, perhaps due to lack of rubberized grip along the side of its shells).
SonyWF1000XM5-pkg-1.jpg SpinfitCP360-1.jpg

SonyWF1000XM5-A306-1.jpg
Sony WF-1000XM5 (with Spinfit CP360 eartips - large) and A306 (uncapped).

With the same track 'Spiritualist' by Jeffrey Biegel, the XM5 presents a fairly spacious stage with decent to adequate positioning of instruments. Presentation and tonality are somewhat relaxed on the slight warm side while maintaining a fairly good sense of macrodetail and above average separation & layering.

Imaging is not one of its strengths, as transitions of positioned instruments and vocals are rendered with a smoothened effect done in a less defined contrasting way and with less consistent presence & retention of dynamics & detail from one to the next along the stage.

Lows on the XM5 give a satisfying weight in sub-bass and mid-bass impact for most genres of classical and vocal tracks (on Tidal).

Mids are not overly forward nor recessed. Vocals are presented a little closer than solo instrumentals, but done so in a way with pleasant ease and some intimate feel, a bit of warmth and with just enough body and depth to keep the music listening experience enjoyable for hours without much fatigue.

Highs are more noticeably relaxed from mid to upper treble with a smoother top end, and more noticeably so for tracks with piano and percussion instruments. However, I found most classical orchestral tracks and instrumental & vocal tracks to lack some refinement, extension and air in the upper end of higher notes.

Other than some drawbacks found from my early impressions on this set, the XM5 is well capable of presenting the music in a way that makes me feel like I'm just there hearing, feeling and enjoying the music in a casual-fun way, rather than having to listen and look for individual cues and aspects of the music in other sets that are more geared towards the analytical side of the spectrum.

So far though, I've been enjoying and listening to the XM5 (and mostly with A306) every night after work for about a week. The XM5 does more than enough for most of my use cases, especially with my busy work schedule, and it's gotten to the point where I've decided to part ways with my wired iem sets and sell off the rest of my wired in-ear monitors (and I'll be listing some iems - Oriolus Forsteni and some other chi-fi sets - in the classifieds within the next few weeks). I'm satisfied and happy enough with the HD800S (with desktop amp/dac setup, when I'm at the desk/computer at home after work) and the XM5 (with A306 or iPhone, for convenience and casual listening at home, cleaning, or walking around couple blocks after work) to cover most bases of the music I listen to and use cases at home and on the go.

I'll follow up with more of my thoughts and impressions on the XM5 and A306 in another post (when time permits from work).

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #3,572 of 4,199
Hi JerryHead and Daniel Johnston,

It's been a while since the last time I've checked in here, as work has been busy for the past few weeks.

I've taken some time at home last Sunday to give a listen to the HD800S (from XLR-4.4 interconnect to 4.4-3.5 interconnect) with A306 (Japan model, uncapped), and I'd have to say it's a decent pairing for casual listening with most instrumentals (at slow to moderate tempo) and solo vocal tracks.

All tracks were streamed on Tidal, and the majority of music I listen to are classical (mostly orchestral, piano and strings, and some opera) and some jazz (mostly instrumental and some vocals).

Starting with a classical orchestral track ‘Spiritualist’ by Jeff Bailey, the first thing I noticed is the broadened closeness in presentation of stage, with noticeably scaled down width & depth and slightly less so in height (as opposed to a much more expansive and spacious stage with airy feel from desktop balanced headphone amp & dac setup). Instruments are played closer to one another than they normally do, and the slightly relaxed but intimate soundscape of the stage gives the impression that the orchestra is being played in a smaller concert venue.

Transients come off with a more softened edge, but not to the point of sounding/feeling 'blunt.' There is still some slight dense swift feel in the way notes of instruments and vocals are presented with enough body & macrodetail from lows to mids and relatively so in the highs. Where this becomes more of a miss from this pairing is the closeness of instruments reaching a near overlap which can give the kind of impression as if sounds of instruments are almost clashing towards their space and position in a closer presented stage.

Imaging and layering are not the most prominent in dynamics and detailed separation. In multiple transitions at moderate fast tempo that involve a row of violinists to the next row of instrumentalists, on to the pianist and over to the trombone and drums and back, arrangement of these sounds can come off a bit smeared with a sort of 'blurred' panning effect and more closely positioned to one another with less spatial distance and placement.

With the same pairing, I found a similar effect from another classical track 'Beau soir, L.6' (arranged by A. Gretchaninov, for piano & cello) by Boris Pergamenschikow, where the decay of each note played from the piano resonates more softly and fades unnaturally into the background. Cello sounded more defined in tonal body with slightly more denseness and detail presented upfront, but lacked some realism and presence in decay, and also how unnaturally 'flat' it felt with a lack of some airiness and layering/separation.

HD800S-XLRto4.4to3.5-A306-1.jpg
'Beau soir, L.6' (arranged by A. Gretchaninov, for piano & cello) by Boris Pergamenschikow (streamed from Tidal), on Sennheiser HD800S with XLR 4-pin balanced (to XLR-4.4 interconnect and 4.4-3.5 unbalanced interconnect) and Sony NW-A306 (Japan model, uncapped).

HD800S-XLRto4.4to3.5-A306-2.jpg
Despite some tonal and imaging flaws, the HD800S (@ 300 ohms) is a decent enjoyable/musical pairing with A306 (Japan model, uncapped @ 35mW per channel).

Following that same day, sometime in the afternoon, after reading enough impressions and thoughts of the Sony WF-1000XM5 on the XM5 thread as well as on this thread, I purchased a set (and Spinfit CP360 eartips) from Amazon the night before, and I found the XM5 to pair well with A306 (uncapped, with LDAC - sound quality mode on), with very decent comfort in fit (sits fairly firm and secure along the concha of my ears, without any hotspots nor significant discomfort) and wear (for few hours of listening at a time, until the earbuds start to lose some grip and seal, perhaps due to lack of rubberized grip along the side of its shells).
SonyWF1000XM5-pkg-1.jpg SpinfitCP360-1.jpg

SonyWF1000XM5-A306-1.jpg
Sony WF-1000XM5 (with Spinfit CP360 eartips - large) and A306 (uncapped).

With the same track 'Spiritualist' by Jeffrey Biegel, the XM5 presents a fairly spacious stage with decent to adequate positioning of instruments. Presentation and tonality are somewhat relaxed on the slight warm side while maintaining a fairly good sense of macrodetail and above average separation & layering.

Imaging is not one of its strengths, as transitions of positioned instruments and vocals are rendered with a smoothened effect done in a less defined contrasting way and with less consistent presence & retention of dynamics & detail from one to the next along the stage.

Lows on the XM5 give a satisfying weight in sub-bass and mid-bass impact for most genres of classical and vocal tracks (on Tidal).

Mids are not overly forward nor recessed. Vocals are presented a little closer than solo instrumentals, but done so in a way with pleasant ease and some intimate feel, a bit of warmth and with just enough body and depth to keep the music listening experience enjoyable for hours without much fatigue.

Highs are more noticeably relaxed from mid to upper treble with a smoother top end, and more noticeably so for tracks with piano and percussion instruments. However, I found most classical orchestral tracks and instrumental & vocal tracks to lack some refinement, extension and air in the upper end of higher notes.

Other than some drawbacks found from my early impressions on this set, the XM5 is well capable of presenting the music in a way that makes me feel like I'm just there hearing, feeling and enjoying the music in a casual-fun way, rather than having to listen and look for individual cues and aspects of the music in other sets that are more geared towards the analytical side of the spectrum.

So far though, I've been enjoying and listening to the XM5 (and mostly with A306) every night after work for about a week. The XM5 does more than enough for most of my use cases, especially with my busy work schedule, and it's gotten to the point where I've decided to part ways with my wired iem sets and sell off the rest of my wired in-ear monitors (and I'll be listing some iems - FatFreq Maestro Mini, Oriolus Forsteni, and some other chi-fi sets - in the classifieds within the next few weeks). I'm satisfied and happy enough with the HD800S (with desktop amp/dac setup, when I'm at the desk/computer at home after work) and the XM5 (with A306 or iPhone, for convenience and casual listening at home, cleaning, or walking around couple blocks after work) to cover most bases of the music I listen to and use cases at home and on the go.

I'll follow up with more of my thoughts and impressions on the XM5 and A306 in another post (when time permits from work).

Enjoy. :)
I've been listening to the Utopia 2020 from the capped A306 and am impressed. It's not bad for an ultra portable DAP.

Aug 14, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #3,573 of 4,199
The firmware update OTAs are tied to the original device region. It doesn't matter where you are located and should not effect the volume cap.

This should be US firmware (Series 0000- International, Series 0001 - Japan, Series 0003 - China, etc):

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0001/NW-A300Series_0000_V1_01_04_NW_WM_FW.UPG
Hi! I unfortunately own a chinese version player, without Google/Play Store. Do you think it's possible to update the firmware using a non chinese (international, japan) version?

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #3,574 of 4,199
Hi! I unfortunately own a chinese version player, without Google/Play Store. Do you think it's possible to update the firmware using a non chinese (international, japan) version?

I don't know for sure because I don't have a China version to test. You can try as it shouldn't cause any issues, it will simply not install and will generate an error. It's possible that the China version system partition is too small:

Japan version:

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0002/NW-A300Series_0001_V1_02_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #3,575 of 4,199
I have just re started my Uk 306 after the latest update and when going into the sound settings, the media volume slider now has a massive impact on the volume..65-70 is now a good volume with my Hidisz M3s,whereas 100 was nearer to the mark!! It does say that this does not apply to the music player app, but seeing as I listen mostly to streamed or cached music via the quobuz app. Happy days. Someone please tell me this is a new implementation or have I just rediscovered the wheel?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #3,577 of 4,199
does anyone know if this is the latest japanese firmware?

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0000/NW-A300Series_0000_V1_02_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG

also, is there any way to discover the latest Canadian/USA/Int'l firmware? I'm currently on 1.02.00 (playing around with the URL link above didn't work)

No it isn't. I just linked it two posts above yours...

To discover the latest version, just look in the xml files below for the link for each region. These are the actual links that the OTA updater checks:

Latest International:
https://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-A300Series_0000/info/info.xml
Latest Japan:
https://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-A300Series_0001/info/info.xml
Latest China:
https://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-A300Series_0003/info/info.xml

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #3,578 of 4,199
If returning it isn't an option you can try to update to international firmware (which has Google Play Store). Turn off wifi and copy the firmware file to internal storage root directory and a prompt should pop up to install. Be aware that if you later perform an OTA, it will likely revert back to Chinese firmware, so you will have to update manually using the procedure above.

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0001/NW-A300Series_0000_V1_01_04_NW_WM_FW.UPG

You can always find the latest firmware link in this xml file:

https://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-A300Series_0000/info/info.xml
hey @rlw6534 do you have any other tricks up your sleeve? i tried these exact instructions trying to update my international (canadian) firmware to japanese, but it seems like it won't work. same error as @Dychel0420 .

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #3,579 of 4,199
hey @rlw6534 do you have any other tricks up your sleeve? i tried these exact instructions trying to update my international (canadian) firmware to japanese, but it seems like it won't work. same error as @Dychel0420 .

I changed mine to International (from Japan) prior to the last firmware update with no issues. With the latest firmware, I switched back to Japan, also with no issues. On the earlier A100 and ZX500, sometimes you had to wait for a new firmware update to be available before you could switch. I only have the one device (Japan uncapped A306) so I can't try other combinations. For what it's worth the only difference between Japan and International seems to be the preloaded Mora app.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #3,580 of 4,199
I don't know for sure because I don't have a China version to test. You can try as it shouldn't cause any issues, it will simply not install and will generate an error. It's possible that the China version system partition is too small:

Japan version:

http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/N...0002/NW-A300Series_0001_V1_02_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG
You were right, the new firmware archive is too big, not enough space. Thank you anyway for trying to help :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,582 of 4,199
Searched all over this thread but still can't figure out how to get a hold of an uncapped A306 with no bass issues. Where can I get 'lucky'?
I'd honesty say to reach out as you done here on this forum. I asked back a while ago if anyone was going abroad or were abroad in the country's where they are uncapped. I was very fortunate that a chap on here took pity on me and trusted me (works both ways) to get me a 306. Try as you've got nothing to lose. Use PayPal to keep things secure for both parties. I wish you luck 🤞

Aug 15, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,584 of 4,199
B

Japanese Models on ebay.

I agree. I used Buyee, but now that you can find them on Ebay, it's easier, faster and probably about the same cost overall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back