New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 6, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,926 of 4,126
I haven’t bought it yet but I’m considering it. I’ll prob get an unlocked one from abroad as i live in the uk. I’m considering one as it looks nice and small so I can take it on walks
You have Fiio FDX (assuming sig still current) which is Gold version of my FD7 and I think sounds great with my A307.

I'd imagine your IER-Z1R's will sound superb too.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,927 of 4,126
The unit I ordered from Japan showed up yesterday. Spent quite a bit of time getting it setup and overall I'm very happy with the device. Having said that, I am running into a couple issues, maybe others can help me out.

First, the Walkman app is not displaying my cover.jpg files. I'm assuming the album art needs to be embedded into the audio files for the Walkman app to display it? Just want to be sure before I go through the effort of embedding the covers in all my files.

Second, does anyone use BlackPlayer and have you had issues with it taking considerably longer to load the SD card folder view than other apps? The Walkman app shows the folder structure instantly where BlackPlayer will take 30+ seconds. Otherwise I've really liked BlackPlayer.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for Android music apps to try out that would be great. This is the first Android device I've had where I want to listen to local files so I have no experience with music apps other than Youtube Music.
Would definitely recommend poweramp. Works perfectly with all Sony’s external processing and by itself has a fantastic peq (switch to peq instead of graphic under audio settings)

Also very controllable and will auto download any missing album art and photos for the artists main photo. And set it to display the higher res images it downloads over your own embeds. Or choose to keep your embedded images as first choice if you want.
My library is currently around 450gb and maybe 25,000+ songs. Took about 5 minutes to completely scan in all my files the first time but goes very quick if you add more later.

Hi res audio works great and you can see the entire audio path and be sure you’re setup correctly by simply long holding the tiny meta data on the main player page.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,928 of 4,126
Apr 6, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,929 of 4,126
The unit I ordered from Japan showed up yesterday. Spent quite a bit of time getting it setup and overall I'm very happy with the device. Having said that, I am running into a couple issues, maybe others can help me out.

First, the Walkman app is not displaying my cover.jpg files. I'm assuming the album art needs to be embedded into the audio files for the Walkman app to display it? Just want to be sure before I go through the effort of embedding the covers in all my files.

Second, does anyone use BlackPlayer and have you had issues with it taking considerably longer to load the SD card folder view than other apps? The Walkman app shows the folder structure instantly where BlackPlayer will take 30+ seconds. Otherwise I've really liked BlackPlayer.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for Android music apps to try out that would be great. This is the first Android device I've had where I want to listen to local files so I have no experience with music apps other than Youtube Music.
Hi, in regards to the covers I just name them the same as the album folder, works for me every time. Just copy and paste from the folder to the jpeg cover 👍

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2,930 of 4,126

Hiby music is good, people love uaap, and neutron is good too. Oh and poweramp too.

Sony Walkman app doesn't like progressive jpeg files, just incase. I just used a program years ago to embed the artwork myself. Because not all mine were showing up on my Sony.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,931 of 4,126
For any metadata or album art that’s missing on your tracks or albums.. I used an awesome PC program called MusicBrainz Picard.

It will scan all your tracks/albums and fill in the missing data and the album art. Obviously there might be some it can’t find. Then Of course you will have to review and verify it’s accurate. Once you confirm, you just save it and the program fills it all in for you on top of the existing file. I probably had a couple thousand tracks that it corrected for me or added in info I didn’t have before like release year, genre, etc.

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,933 of 4,126

Neutron app has been good for me, it doesn't look as pretty as Poweramp (which has the best UI) but it is very versatile and allows you to get optimum use of your device.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,934 of 4,126
Would definitely recommend poweramp. Works perfectly with all Sony’s external processing and by itself has a fantastic peq (switch to peq instead of graphic under audio settings)

Hiby music is good, people love uaap, and neutron is good too. Oh and poweramp too.

What effect do these apps have on the A306's battery duration and volume level?

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,935 of 4,126
I’m curious about something if any professionals here would know since I am new to the audiophile world and only dipping my toes in the water when it comes to being a true audiophile.

Does using a different player such as UAPP, Poweramp, etc etc change the sound from the original Sony sound? Obviously if I am using the EQ or any other sound adjustments in the player, that will change it but if I leave everything off and play Direct will it be the same sound as Sony intended it?
I only ask because I gave Poweramp a try for the first time last night and actually really like the UI and it does a good job with sorting my albums and tracks and even get lyrics on some songs. But I still want to keep the sound as close to original Sony sound as possible. Any ideas?

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,936 of 4,126
What effect do these apps have on the A306's battery duration and volume level?

A little more battery drain then the Walkman app, as far as volume level you can overdrive both hiby and neutron. But I still think walkman app sounds the best, you might get a bit more volume out of the others.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,937 of 4,126
For any metadata or album art that’s missing on your tracks or albums.. I used an awesome PC program called MusicBrainz Picard.

It will scan all your tracks/albums and fill in the missing data and the album art. Obviously there might be some it can’t find. Then Of course you will have to review and verify it’s accurate. Once you confirm, you just save it and the program fills it all in for you on top of the existing file. I probably had a couple thousand tracks that it corrected for me or added in info I didn’t have before like release year, genre, etc.

Lol I think that's what I used, I couldn't think of the name. I deleted it after I used it, but it did the trick. Very easy to use.

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2,938 of 4,126
Lol I think that's what I used, I couldn't think of the name. I deleted it after I used it, but it did the trick. Very easy to use.
I’ve done blind ab test with poweramp on my Fiio m11 plus and dx170 and couldn’t tell any difference in sound. As long as you use the hi res settings and have it running correctly it should be the exact same sound wise as the Walkman player. I haven’t double checked on my Sony but I will.

As far as battery life… I’ve been conducting tests with all the daps I’ve had and used poweramp for all of them. From what I saw poweramp battery drain was about on par with native players. Although the dx170 in general performed awfully and fell short of its listed specs by a few hours. Very disappointed in that dap and the battery life was unusable for me. A little over 4 hours listening with iems and moderate screen time. 10 hours with zero screen time.

Fiio was moderately better at 12.5 hours. No screen time.

My Lg v60 did 62 hours no screen time.

My modded ipod classic with a 1tb and custom installed aptx hd Bluetooth did a whopping 126 hours no screen time. And on that one, screen time and Bluetooth both barely change the outcome. It easily does 100+ hours with heavy screen use and Bluetooth running. Which is just insane. And that’s using a 3000 mah battery. They actually make a 3800 mah battery too. It went 6 whole ass days. Wild.

But yea basically from my experience any battery loss difference is minimal using poweramp, and there is no sound difference I can tell.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2,939 of 4,126
I’ve done blind ab test with poweramp on my Fiio m11 plus and dx170 and couldn’t tell any difference in sound. As long as you use the hi res settings and have it running correctly it should be the exact same sound wise as the Walkman player. I haven’t double checked on my Sony but I will.

As far as battery life… I’ve been conducting tests with all the daps I’ve had and used poweramp for all of them. From what I saw poweramp battery drain was about on par with native players. Although the dx170 in general performed awfully and fell short of its listed specs by a few hours. Very disappointed in that dap and the battery life was unusable for me. A little over 4 hours listening with iems and moderate screen time. 10 hours with zero screen time.

Fiio was moderately better at 12.5 hours. No screen time.

My Lg v60 did 62 hours no screen time.

My modded ipod classic with a 1tb and custom installed aptx hd Bluetooth did a whopping 126 hours no screen time. And on that one, screen time and Bluetooth both barely change the outcome. It easily does 100+ hours with heavy screen use and Bluetooth running. Which is just insane. And that’s using a 3000 mah battery. They actually make a 3800 mah battery too. It went 6 whole ass days. Wild.

But yea basically from my experience any battery loss difference is minimal using poweramp, and there is no sound difference I can tell.

Lol you weren't replying to me right? I haven't used poweramp in ages. But hiby and neutron definitely use more battery than Sony app- it's just more efficient, especially on higher bit rate files. And they definitely have a different sonic presentation than the Walkman app, neutron is a touch wider sounding and the timbre is maybe a bit brighter more dynamic but the depth isn't there and the Walkman app sounds the most natural in tonality, than both the other apps. That's my experience, best thing he can do is try them.

Might have to give poweramp a try though just for fun.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #2,940 of 4,126
Lol you weren't replying to me right? I haven't used poweramp in ages. But hiby and neutron definitely use more battery than Sony app- it's just more efficient, especially on higher bit rate files. And they definitely have a different sonic presentation than the Walkman app, neutron is a touch wider sounding and the timbre is maybe a bit brighter more dynamic but the depth isn't there and the Walkman app sounds the most natural in tonality, than both the other apps. That's my experience, best thing he can do is try them.

Might have to give poweramp a try though just for fun.
Yea I meant to respond to him.
I tried neutron and uapp and hated the user interface and overall look.

I couldn’t hear any distinguishable difference between poweramp and Fiio and Ibasso native players. And I tried. Used unique melody mest mkii and my Yanyin moonlights which are both pretty revealing.

Haven’t direct compared poweramp to Sony.

Battery life for me was pretty much the same with poweramp on the Fiio and Ibasso. It might use a tiny more. But it seemed negligible enough not to matter.

The user interface is so much better im willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of battery life. Especially since I took so many other steps to reduce any extra battery drain elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back