New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,836 of 4,129
Hey guys. Got my a306. Just a quick question. This is supposed to be a Japanese version. Seems plenty loud even with my UM mests which were quiet on my lg v60, so I believe it is but it did ask me to sign into Google and had Google play on initial setup. I thought I read the Japanese versions didn’t so wanted to double check that.

Also had no bass issue before update and sounded the same afterward. Sounds fantastic.

My only gripe is that it is almost a little too small and it’s a little laggy. Even moreso than my Ibasso dx170. I only will be using it for music so that’s not a big concern. Overall not sure I’ll keep it yet. But I really do love the sound.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #2,837 of 4,129
Has anyone tried aftermarket cables from this company/website? Or know their quality? I have Sennheiser iems and I love the sound with my a306 but do not like the standard black cable they come with. Looking for a more flexible soft cable I can easily roll up. Since Senn have their own proprietary mmcx connector, this brand was the only place I was able to find that offers cables for Sennheiser.

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/For-IEM

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,838 of 4,129
Has anyone tried aftermarket cables from this company/website? Or know their quality? I have Sennheiser iems and I love the sound with my a306 but do not like the standard black cable they come with. Looking for a more flexible soft cable I can easily roll up. Since Senn have their own proprietary mmcx connector, this brand was the only place I was able to find that offers cables for Sennheiser.

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/For-IEM

i got the ethos and it is much better ergonomics than the stock cable. Audio quality is the same to my ears but I never hear differences in cables to begin with.

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #2,839 of 4,129
i got the ethos and it is much better ergonomics than the stock cable. Audio quality is the same to my ears but I never hear differences in cables to begin with.
Perfect! That’s what I needed to know. Yea really wasn't concerned about increasing sound quality as I doubt I will hear the differences too. Just looking for a more ergonomic user friendly cable. Appreciate it! Was looking at that same one too or the one below it. Thanks again!

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #2,840 of 4,129
Hi All, on my old NW A105 I was able to create separate folders using the Bookmark Folder. I see on the NWA 306 it doesn't have that option? Any ideas or am I missing something obvious?
Regards Graham

Not sure if that's what you want but you could favorite an album and it'll be added to the favorite folder context menu, likewise with individual songs. It's similar to being bookmarked but it's just called 'favorite' I suppose.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,841 of 4,129
Hey guys. Got my a306. Just a quick question. This is supposed to be a Japanese version. Seems plenty loud even with my UM mests which were quiet on my lg v60, so I believe it is but it did ask me to sign into Google and had Google play on initial setup. I thought I read the Japanese versions didn’t so wanted to double check that.

Also had no bass issue before update and sounded the same afterward. Sounds fantastic.

My only gripe is that it is almost a little too small and it’s a little laggy. Even moreso than my Ibasso dx170. I only will be using it for music so that’s not a big concern. Overall not sure I’ll keep it yet. But I really do love the sound.

The Japanese versions do have Google Play so that's normal. It's the China versions that don't.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #2,842 of 4,129
Awesome!
Man, I’m loving the sound. I think I like it better than the dx170 and about on par with the fiio m11 plus. Definitely better than my lg v60.
Using poweramp. Few glitches with it so far. It’s not downloading any artwork. I’ll try a delete and reinstall later. I had this happen on my v60 and that fixed it.
Transparent background won’t work but that’s acceptable as it’s a experimental option.

The only thing bugging me is the size. It’s sooo tiny. I wish they would have gone even 20% bigger. The extra screen and battery space would have been totally worth it. Everything else can stay the same. Probably could have significantly upped the battery life with just a little bigger form factor. Hoping the fat bear case makes it feel a little more substantial in my hand.

Two questions.

How do I remove the annoying Google search bar on the home page. Never had an issue removing those but I can’t seem to get it outta there.

How do I switch to swipe for the bottom navigation instead of the 3 button bar at the bottom. Can’t seem to find it in settings on this.

Apr 3, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #2,843 of 4,129
It's a major question for me as well. As I recall, a few contributors here were planning to test the CUE functionality in different ways. (You probably saw their posts.) I wonder what came of their intentions?
Embed cuesheet failed as did cue sheet in the folder. (For single file FLAC albums.) I was hoping there may have been an update or perhaps a complaint with a resolution.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #2,845 of 4,129
Awesome!
Man, I’m loving the sound. I think I like it better than the dx170 and about on par with the fiio m11 plus. Definitely better than my lg v60.
Using poweramp. Few glitches with it so far. It’s not downloading any artwork. I’ll try a delete and reinstall later. I had this happen on my v60 and that fixed it.
Transparent background won’t work but that’s acceptable as it’s a experimental option.

The only thing bugging me is the size. It’s sooo tiny. I wish they would have gone even 20% bigger. The extra screen and battery space would have been totally worth it. Everything else can stay the same. Probably could have significantly upped the battery life with just a little bigger form factor. Hoping the fat bear case makes it feel a little more substantial in my hand.

Two questions.

How do I remove the annoying Google search bar on the home page. Never had an issue removing those but I can’t seem to get it outta there.

How do I switch to swipe for the bottom navigation instead of the 3 button bar at the bottom. Can’t seem to find it in settings on this.

You would have to use ADB App control to accomplish both, removing the google search bar and changing to the swipe gesture navigation.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #2,846 of 4,129
You would have to use ADB App control to accomplish both, removing the google search bar and changing to the swipe gesture navigation.
Pretty sure someone earlier in this thread laid out an easy way to change from the 3 button navigation bar to swipe. I just didn’t feel like digging through 50 pages again.

Seems crazy to have to do all that to get rid of the Google search bar too.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #2,847 of 4,129
You were right I was wrong. I must’ve breezed past without paying close attention. ADB command is required.

So… I only have Mac computers. Can I even do adb? I tried following a thread on how to get the app working on a Macbook and gave up when trying 3 different peoples instructions all failed.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #2,848 of 4,129

Japanese version still asks for Google sign-in but you don't have to.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #2,849 of 4,129
You were right I was wrong. I must’ve breezed past without paying close attention. ADB command is required.

So… I only have Mac computers. Can I even do adb? I tried following a thread on how to get the app working on a Macbook and gave up when trying 3 different peoples instructions all failed.
It's very much possible.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,850 of 4,129
It's very much possible.
Any chance you can link to a working tutorial? I’m on High Sierra if it makes a difference. I’ve followed probably 6 tutorials now and they all included command lines for terminal that did nothing.
I do have android apk/toolbox installed. Seems to open and work. Is that all I need? I have no clue how to use that program. Looks huge and confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back