New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #2,761 of 4,199
For your scenario, I would rather recommend an BTR Dongle from FiiO. The A300 will be as cumbersome in a flight as an ZX2. Also the ZX2 sounds better then the A300 so rather get an ZX700 or WM1AM2 for the SQ and a tiny, smaller as an lighter, Bluetooth dongle.

You could also think about an WM1A, there is the direct successor to the ZX2.

It is bigger, yes, but also has an Bluetooth Receiver Mode using LDAC. So you don't have to touch it while the flight at all
Thanks for the advice! I don't use my phone for music...I'd rather preserve its battery and memory. Plus, my phone doesn't have a 3.5 connector, so I'd be limited to BT IEM, something that I'm not too fond of. I own WM1A and find it too bulky for trips. I've never used it in such scenarios because I didn't have a proper case/protector for it. But I've purchased a Fat Beat and a TPU case, along with a screen protector, so I guess I will give it a shot. Still wary about the chance of WM1A being lost/stolen.

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #2,762 of 4,199
How does this compare to the hiby rs2? Since they are about the same price.

In terms of SQ, I prefer the RS2. RS2 paired with a good amp is something else. A306 is clean sounding, leaning a bit to analytical vs the RS2.

Size wise - the A306 wins - its size and weight is a winner! I normally just carry it on my breast pocket and doesn't weigh the whole shirt down (as compared to putting the RS2 in the same pocket - plus it looks too bulky)

Interface - Android still wins due to the amount that you can do. But the simplicity of Hiby OS is still welcomed. If I just want a simple interface - no distractions, then I'll reach for the RS2

Screen size - A306 definitely wins here. The half screen of the RS2 leaves you longing for more, specially if I'm scrolling through my library.

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,763 of 4,199
Yes the little clicks, swishing noises. I don't hear that anymore after changing my routers channel. It did sound like interference of some kind. Idk, I read if you're having problems to try the channel thing, so I changed it.

Lol as far as hearing and what beats what that's very personal/subjective. Plus we know when comparing audio if the volumes aren't exactly matched things can sound clearer more dynamic etc. That's why I try to preface things with - to my ears or imo. People can use the same gear and get a different take on the sound via hearing acuity, bias, ear shape, fit of iems. So, the only 'best' is what someone personally likes.

There's measurements yes, but even stuff with stellar measurements can sound bla to someone. Your hearing isn't going to pick up on those specs anyways, just like with extremely high bit rates. I don't notice many differences myself, unless something is really warm like r2r setup or something is forward in the mids in presentation.

But I do love the mids of the a306, well I love it all but it's so clear and present in the mids, with that deep Sony staging. Like I just tried ibasso dc04 pro and the mids are back farther and the stage is spread more out width wise. It's more neutral, technically probably better, but I love the rich sound of the Sony. And the thing I like about a306 is it's not 'too' warm, it still has great energetic treble. It's not too warm or to sterile sounding, it's goldilocks range for me!

That's how I 👂 it anyways 😀
what headphones are you plugging into the a306 abitdeef ?

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #2,767 of 4,199
Mine won’t even connect to a 2.4ghz network. I am wondering if mine has an antenna fault given that and the noise in the left earbud. Will go for a replacement or refund.
Some devices cannot connect to certain channels. Try changing your WI-FI channel in the router and see if the DAP sees the 2.4GHZ.

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,768 of 4,199
Hi everyone,
I followed this thread since the beginning and really enjoy it. I was torn between the a306, the Shanling m3 Ultra and the Hiby R5 iii. The bass issue finally fixed made me pull the trigger on the Sony today.
I read the library is currently limited to 9,999 titles. As other here I have a bunch more. How do these extra files show up ? Do we need to browse by folders instead of tags ? Thanks for your input.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #2,769 of 4,199
Hi All, advice time. What's everyone's suggestions on wireless earbuds these days? I've currently got the Nothing Earbud 1 which are not too bad but thinking of upgrading them. I've thought of pushing out the boat to complement the 306. I've looked at the Bang and olufsen beoplay ex, the Sony xm4, Bowers and Wilkins pi7 plus many others! Happy with my wired FIIO FA7's as they seem to be great as they were with the Nwa105.
Regards Graham

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #2,770 of 4,199
Curiously, I own SE846 but since I stopped using ZX2 as soon as I got WM1A a few years ago, I don't recall ever trying ZX2 with the SE846. I guess I was lucky, because I don't have the bad memory created by the hiss. 😀
I ended up buying an iFi IEMatch just to bare using the ZX2 with my SE846's which at the time was only good IEM's I had!.

I even imported a high quality impedance adapter from Japan (16 Ohm) but took some of life out of the SE846.

The IEMatch worked really well, still have it but rare I need to use it now.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,771 of 4,199
For those tweakers out there that like living dangerously, the A306 firmware can be changed to another region (similar to A100 and ZX500) by turning off wifi and copying the desired firmware to the root of internal storage. Then go to Settings, System, System updates and you'll get a prompt to install. If you want to lose Google Play, you can install the China version. I just switched mine to US/International from Japan with no ill effects. Note that, unfortunately, this should not impact the volume cap either way. Also, if you perform an OTA update, you will revert back to the original region, so you will want to do a manual update. At your own risk, of course. Also, you might get stuck on the side-loaded version until a future update rolls out.

Someone needed to try, so I took one for the team... Fortunately, no issues... :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,772 of 4,199
Hi All, advice time. What's everyone's suggestions on wireless earbuds these days? I've currently got the Nothing Earbud 1 which are not too bad but thinking of upgrading them. I've thought of pushing out the boat to complement the 306. I've looked at the Bang and olufsen beoplay ex, the Sony xm4, Bowers and Wilkins pi7 plus many others! Happy with my wired FIIO FA7's as they seem to be great as they were with the Nwa105.
Regards Graham
WF-1000XM4 is best I've had for audio quality and I'm now waiting for the WF-1000XM5. I did need to change caps to SpinFits for comfort.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,773 of 4,199
WF-1000XM4 is best I've had for audio quality and I'm now waiting for the WF-1000XM5. I did need to change caps to SpinFits for comfort.

I owned those for a while and ended up selling them because I didnt like how they sounded. My recommendation is if you have apple get the APP2, there really is nothing for apple that is musically better enough to lose the seamlessness. If you are an android user like myself, the beoplay ex is worth trying out. Out of all the TWS units ive owned (Sony, BW, Senn) I think it sounds the best. It also has an EQ system that while simplistic is pretty good and the earbuds respond well to the wavelet app.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2,775 of 4,199
I owned those for a while and ended up selling them because I didnt like how they sounded. My recommendation is if you have apple get the APP2, there really is nothing for apple that is musically better enough to lose the seamlessness. If you are an android user like myself, the beoplay ex is worth trying out. Out of all the TWS units ive owned (Sony, BW, Senn) I think it sounds the best. It also has an EQ system that while simplistic is pretty good and the earbuds respond well to the wavelet app.

Well, we all like different things for sure, but you're in a minority with this one. Average 4 or 5 star of ~40,000 reviews is over 85% of people. WF-1000M4 with WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 or A300 series is seamless and tried with all three (and with my S21 too)

Using my Fiio BTR5 via LDAC BT with short Fiio cable with my SE846 or M9 is still best I've heard, but not a Bud. I also sold mine but only because sound & comfort is better with this combo, but I'm eagerly awaiting the supposedly smaller size WF-1000XM5

UK Amazon
1680450035295.png

US Amazon
1680450101387.png

Japanese Amazon
1680450171765.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back