New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,731 of 4,198
My unit "flew" this afternoon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was raining like no tomorrow, was running and this guy decided to jump from my pocket and tumble a good 1-2m from me. :scream:

Really grateful that (1) I had a silicone case and TG on it - no dents, no scratched whatsoever. (2) it's light, which (i believe) helped for it to not get any dents.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #2,732 of 4,198
Funny enough I've contacted Dignis to ask if they are going to produce any as they've started making the 707 model👍
Don't think they ever make for lower end, don't expect £300 buyers to spend £100 on a case!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,733 of 4,198
Unfortunately, the NW-A306 has still got at least one other major defect: wifi-related interference. With wifi enabled, some users--including several on this thread--are reporting audible noise occurring on the left channels of some IEMs and headphones.

And, before you ask: unlike the low-bass issue, users on Amazon Japan are complaining about wifi-related noise.
Ya this is very significant for sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. It doesn't seem like Sony gave this DAP the care it deserved.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,734 of 4,198
Ya this is very significant for sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. It doesn't seem like Sony gave this DAP the care it deserved.
Even CF have realised the issue with OTT Andromeda sensitivity and the new Emerald Sea version has less sensitivity

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,735 of 4,198
Even CF have realised the issue with OTT Andromeda sensitivity and the new Emerald Sea version has less sensitivity
I have no problems with Andro sensitivity with any of my other source including all other Sony DAPs. IMO it's sensitivity and incredible reactiveness is what gives the Andro it's trait - the audio has a lightness and speed to it akin to electrostatic. I haven't heard the new Emerald Sea, I hope they haven't changed it's traits.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,736 of 4,198
I had the misfortune of losing my faithful ZX2 in a flight a couple of weeks ago. Great sounding old DAP, but a bit bulky for manipulation in packed planes. I'm thinking about the A306 as a replacement, which is tempting, among factors, due to its small dimensions. I'm not bothered by the lack of 4.4 connector or hi gain, as the ZX2 had neither and I use easy-to-drive IEM for trips. Does anyone remember ZX2 sq to give an opinion on whether A306 might be on par or be an upgrade in that regard? Also, I'm having trouble trying to come across A306 in US based websites. Anyone has a recommendation to purchase? Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, etc.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,737 of 4,198
I have a blue NW-A306 for sale in like-new condition if anyone is interested. This is a Japanese model, as I purchased it from a major retailer seller in Japan via eBay only 6 weeks ago. Definitely no volume cap. I used it for probably less than 2 hours total and have all the original packaging. I absolutely love this DAP, but really had no business purchasing it, as I have tinnitus and it flares my tinnitus when switched to high-res quality. APTX doesn't bother my ears, it's only when I switch it to APTX HD or higher that my ears ring for the next three days. I'm not seeing any value in using it for less than high res quality, as the SQ is just underwhelming with the high-res settings turned off. The gamble was worth it to me. I'd prefer to sell it here rather than an auction site, but will choose the latter site if needed. If anyone here is interested, private message me. I'm in California and will ship to domestic U.S..

UPDATE: SOLD!
If anyone was interested, my unit is now sold and shipped. Sigh..

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,738 of 4,198
I had the misfortune of losing my faithful ZX2 in a flight a couple of weeks ago. Great sounding old DAP, but a bit bulky for manipulation in packed planes. I'm thinking about the A306 as a replacement, which is tempting, among factors, due to its small dimensions. I'm not bothered by the lack of 4.4 connector or hi gain, as the ZX2 had neither and I use easy-to-drive IEM for trips. Does anyone remember ZX2 sq to give an opinion on whether A306 might be on par or be an upgrade in that regard? Also, I'm having trouble trying to come across A306 in US based websites. Anyone has a recommendation to purchase? Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, etc.
I think you will be pleased with the newer fw -battery life- form factor
As for sound quality I can't comment as I don't own one ( yet) ... But one thing is for sure .. it has about more than double the output power than Zx2

Just keep in mind that : sense me channels are gone if you were using it .
And the US walkmans now are Volume capped like euro versions so you would be better to get Japanese /HK one.
And sorry for your ZX2 it was one of a kind

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2,739 of 4,198
I had a ZX2 way back and have no memories of it being better than more recent Sony's, including the A307 I have now.

That really did have a noisy background and couldn't use with my SE846's due to amp hiss.

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2,740 of 4,198
I had a ZX2 way back and have no memories of it being better than more recent Sony's, including the A307 I have now.

That really did have a noisy background and couldn't use with my SE846's due to amp hiss.
The ZX2 sounds better than the A300 for sure and the Amp Hiss on the A300 is as bad. Maybe it improved a tiny bit but my CHIKYU-SEKAI hiss on all Sony, including the WM1ZM2.

The ZX2 already had 7 wound capacitors and large LCs

images (6).jpeg

So even to this day, sound wise, it's an upgrade to the A300

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,741 of 4,198
The ZX2 sounds better than the A300 for sure and the Amp Hiss on the A300 is as bad. Maybe it improved a tiny bit but my CHIKYU-SEKAI hiss on all Sony, including the WM1ZM2.

The ZX2 already had 7 wound capacitors and large LCs

So even to this day, sound wise, it's an upgrade to the A300
I think I may disagree with nearly everything you post 😆

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #2,742 of 4,198
For your scenario, I would rather recommend an BTR Dongle from FiiO. The A300 will be as cumbersome in a flight as an ZX2. Also the ZX2 sounds better then the A300 so rather get an ZX700 or WM1AM2 for the SQ and a tiny, smaller as an lighter, Bluetooth dongle.

You could also think about an WM1A, there is the direct successor to the ZX2.

It is bigger, yes, but also has an Bluetooth Receiver Mode using LDAC. So you don't have to touch it while the flight at all

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2,743 of 4,198
I think I may disagree with nearly everything you post 😆
Which is not surprising. Even people who are not audiophiles and even people with damaged hearing (like my girlfriend) can hear the difference between an ZX500 and an WM1A. And you sold an WM1ZM2 for an A300 because you don't hear an difference.

People are able to hear the difference in blind Tests, so it is there without any doubt. So it is you who is not being able to hear that so maybe you should not give an advice about which device sounds different if you can't hear the difference.

There are more than enough people who upgraded from the ZX2 to the ZX500 and complained that it sounds worse. The ZX700 is the first non-WM1 DAP from Sony that was able to beat the ZX2 in all areas, but only on 4.4mm

So using 3.5mm there still is no upgrade to the ZX2 except the WM1.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #2,744 of 4,198
Which is not surprising. Even people who are not audiophiles and even people with damaged hearing (like my girlfriend) can hear the difference between an ZX500 and an WM1A. And you sold an WM1ZM2 for an A300 because you don't hear an difference.

Audiophiles do not have to have golden ears, just saying... I don't think it reduces anyones audiophile creds to not hear subtle differences that others claim to hear. I certainly can't hear differences in SD cards and decent quality cables and yet there are many here that apparently can.

People are able to hear the difference in blind Tests, so it is there without any doubt. So it is you who is not being able to hear that so maybe you should not give an advice about which device sounds different if you can't hear the difference.

References for the blind tests, please. I'm genuinely interested in the results of a properly run test.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #2,745 of 4,198
Release date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back