New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,281 of 4,127
How do you define "boring" sound?
The same music just doesn't sound as good with it. Like something is missing, but i can't really describe what.
This effect is the strongest with R3 Pro + IER-M9 for me, i don't like them together at all. With other iems or headphones it's a fine enough DAP, and i actually use it a lot.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #2,282 of 4,127
Sorry as you might have mentioned it but where did you order your 306 from in Japan? I know you sent it back but I guess you're going to reorder at some point. Regards Graham
I ordered from eBay on 3/8 and received it 3/15. Yes one of these days I will order another one probably just going to hang tight a while till this all gets sorted out.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,283 of 4,127
The same music just doesn't sound as good with it. Like something is missing, but i can't really describe what.
This effect is the strongest with R3 Pro + IER-M9 for me, i don't like them together at all. With other iems or headphones it's a fine enough DAP, and i actually use it a lot.

I can totally see that, I thought the pro was a bit too, soft or polite for me. I can't say it sounded bad, just a bit dull. I think it might have been on both ends too, bass and treble. I can see the mojo 2 sounding great too, I thought the first one was a bit dark for me but I've heard good things about the second one. Overkill probably for my gear and needs.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,284 of 4,127
I had Q1, very lovely device, but my large hands couldnt handle the gestures of MTouch.
Going back to Sony, how does A300 serie compare to Shanling M3X/M3 Ultra or Hiby R5?

I think its better to use Hiby R5ii to compare nowadays. A306 sounds cleaner and darker compared to R5ii imo. It doesn't really need a Class A for A306 to reach that level of SQ of R5ii. If you are looking for rich vocals, very musical, bright but not offensive sounds with great dynamic bass, A306 is the one for you.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,285 of 4,127
Thank you guys for your impressions. I guess i will wait for a chance to test out the a306 and compare it with my r3 pro and maybe the Mojo 2 as well. Mojo 2 + r3 pro could be another valid option. I guess in the end it all depends on my ability to actually hear a difference in sound.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,286 of 4,127
is there any official response from Sony?

I'm tempted to return it and wait until it gets fixed just in case this is a hardware issue and then I end up missing the "return window", it is just all the dealing with returns that annoys me, I just want it to work not to be dealing with customer service :ksc75smile:

What is sony reputation dealing with similar issues? I had a similar terrible experience with "asus"and a phone that had hardware issues. Asus released several firmware versions that never fixed the real issue. They never publicly accepted there was a hardware issue but there was one, I did get parts replaced and the issue vanished, I can't help but wonder what if it is the same with sony and it is too expensive to admit a hardware issue?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,287 of 4,127

I'm tempted to return it and wait until it gets fixed just in case this is a hardware issue and then I end up missing the "return window", it is just all the dealing with returns that annoys me, I just want it to work not to be dealing with customer service :ksc75smile:

What is sony reputation dealing with similar issues? I had a similar terrible experience with "asus"and a phone that had hardware issues. Asus released several firmware versions that never fixed the real issue. They never publicly accepted there was a hardware issue but there was one, I did get parts replaced and the issue vanished, I can't help but wonder what if it is the same with sony and it is too expensive to admit a hardware issue?
Yes Sony has identified it as an software issue and is going to fix that via firmware update

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #2,289 of 4,127
Quick question since people are talking about "direct mode": is there a difference between enabling no effects and toggling "direct mode" on?

Yes, direct mode bypasses all dsp effects. The dsp loop is still running even if effects are off. But not in direct mode.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #2,291 of 4,127

This is most like a hardware issue, I advise to return it for the time being

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #2,292 of 4,127

Don't miss the return window. I missed it by 12 days and they've absolutely refuse to accept a return for a refund. I talked to four different people over the course of almost 2 hours, and they all read off of the same script. I also got a message from one of their "mods" on the Sony forum denying a return. It's in the hands if the BBB now.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #2,295 of 4,127
How does this compare with the dx170? Which is a better dap overall? I have been debating which should I get also which would be a better pair with mangird xenns top.? Thank you!
If you get one without the Bass issue, its better. If you get a broken one... its worse... obivously^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back