New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #1,938 of 4,162
I have been playing with the EQ on the Sony a bit. Listened to the album "Young, gifted and black" by Aretha Franklin for the first time yesterday and wow, the IE 200 and Sony A306 work well for this kind of music! I fell in love (normally more of a metal head)! My HD 599s feel like they definitely need the EQ to get some of the shine in the highs (atleast I feel there should have been shine?) while my IE 200s feel better on direct.

While on the Topic of the IE 200 again: I just ordered a Tripowin Zonie after reading, that it fits the IE line snuggly on some websites. I also found one post saying, that it won't stay in... I will just try, and if push comes to shove, I will just remove the Plastic colour rings on the cable

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,939 of 4,162
Latest update from Sony: "Tokyo Sony engineers are now investigating this"

Sorry for the lack of detail, but that's what I got today. I suppose it is progress... :wink:

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,940 of 4,162

Sorry for the lack of detail, but that's what I got today. I suppose it is progress... :wink:

This is excellent, it's exactly the group that needs to be investigating the problem. They have very talented engineers, I'm sure they'll figure it out asap. Props!

And... with the randomness, this is not a particular tuning for specific regions. Sony wouldn't do that, and besides it would be a logistical pain in the ass. Nope my guess is some software hiccups since they've got new regions with volume restrictions.

Yes they all have the same firmware version but obviously there are differences, such as having a warning come up and having your volume restricted to 50. That's very specific. Also someone mentioned avls doesn't even work on their Japanese model. But it works on my uncapped HK model. So there's quite a bit of stuff going on under the hood so to speak.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,941 of 4,162
I have been playing with the EQ on the Sony a bit. Listened to the album "Young, gifted and black" by Aretha Franklin for the first time yesterday and wow, the IE 200 and Sony A306 work well for this kind of music! I fell in love (normally more of a metal head)! My HD 599s feel like they definitely need the EQ to get some of the shine in the highs (atleast I feel there should have been shine?) while my IE 200s feel better on direct.

While on the Topic of the IE 200 again: I just ordered a Tripowin Zonie after reading, that it fits the IE line snuggly on some websites. I also found one post saying, that it won't stay in... I will just try, and if push comes to shove, I will just remove the Plastic colour rings on the cable
I just ordered the iE200s! I’m excited to try them out with my a306. I also got some SpinFit W1 tips to go along with them, if needed. I have been using my Fiio FH5s with the a306 but I want to experiment with different sounds. My Fiio’s are more bass heavy and from what I hear the IE200 will shine bright in the highs so I’m excited to hear the differences!

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,942 of 4,162
I just ordered the iE200s! I’m excited to try them out with my a306. I also got some SpinFit W1 tips to go along with them, if needed. I have been using my Fiio FH5s with the a306 but I want to experiment with different sounds. My Fiio’s are more bass heavy and from what I hear the IE200 will shine bright in the highs so I’m excited to hear the differences!
Looking forward to hear what you think about them! The FH5s were on my short list when I was looking to replace my Moondrop Arias as well, but ultimately I decided to go with the IE200s because of fit (and maybe a bit of bias towards the Sennheiser brand; haven't had a Sennheiser headphone that I didn't enjoy in some way!)

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,943 of 4,162

Many thanks, @rlw6534!

This is excellent, it's exactly the group that needs to be investigating the problem. They have very talented engineers, I'm sure they'll figure it out asap.

Let's hope they have access to units that are problematic. It would be of little use if all of their Walkmans are working properly.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,945 of 4,162
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am a newbie to the Audiophile world. My A306 (no. 1000992, black model: YY1301B1) that I ordered from Amazon Germany came today and I did the testing with the graph. I had a Cowon J3 and a Cowon M2 DAP before the purchase of the Sony A306.

I could not get the volume to -12db like shown in the guide. With maximum volume of 120 I could only get to -29db. Is it because of the volume cap or did I do something wrong? The mainboard Line-In was used for the test.

dxIxWOD.jpg

zZ3z9q7.jpg

kF2dIMa.jpg

6NeI0cy.jpg

It would be nice if somebody could tell me if I did the testing correctly and if the unit is alright.
Unfortunately, I could not really listen to music on the device, yet. But will find time tomorrow after work. :)

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,947 of 4,162
Yes they all have the same firmware version but obviously there are differences, such as having a warning come up and having your volume restricted to 50. That's very specific. Also someone mentioned avls doesn't even work on their Japanese model. But it works on my uncapped HK model. So there's quite a bit of stuff going on under the hood so to speak.
* Units with a Cap & bass issue - these units received a Frankenstein build of the software and configuration settings. There is a cap and are there are complimentary user visible volume warnings and notifications however they received incorrect software and/or configuration settings that were potentially meant for non-capped units that end up Fingup frequency response.

Yes there is some Frankenstein software builds on the A300 units :wink: I wonder if the Toyo, engineers need some defective sample units to test??

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,948 of 4,162
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am a newbie to the Audiophile world. My A306 (no. 1000992, black model: YY1301B1) that I ordered from Amazon Germany came today and I did the testing with the graph. I had a Cowon J3 and a Cowon M2 DAP before the purchase of the Sony A306.

I could not get the volume to -12db like shown in the guide. With maximum volume of 120 I could only get to -29db. Is it because of the volume cap or did I do something wrong? The mainboard Line-In was used for the test.

dxIxWOD.jpg

zZ3z9q7.jpg

kF2dIMa.jpg

6NeI0cy.jpg

It would be nice if somebody could tell me if I did the testing correctly and if the unit is alright.
Unfortunately, I could not really listen to music on the device, yet. But will find time tomorrow after work. :)
Try increasing your Line In Levels

Attachments

• Sound Properties.jpg
    Sound Properties.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,949 of 4,162
Hi everyone,

dxIxWOD.jpg

zZ3z9q7.jpg

kF2dIMa.jpg

6NeI0cy.jpg

I agree it looks fine. On my computer with Realtek line-in, I had to search for the input volume control in Windows to turn it up. The -12 dB is not that important, but you do need to be above the noise and see an input signal with the 1kHz tone (which you did).

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,950 of 4,162
Hi everyone,

dxIxWOD.jpg

zZ3z9q7.jpg

kF2dIMa.jpg

6NeI0cy.jpg

Hello, welcome! Looks pretty flat to me. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back