New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,309 of 4,119
There is at least one report of the problem on a different forum, from a unit sold by Amazon U.S. (See post 9.)
interesting post, I hope the A306/7 is going to be measured in that forum just out of curiosity, although people there are not so happy with measurements of previous devices from sony it seems..
There is an user reporting on that forum about how difficult is going to be the battery replacement, let's see how it's going to be within the next years until somebody decides to replace a battery

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,310 of 4,119
What dap does let you easily replace the battery? None I've had in the last 10 years? Ibasso dx 90 is the only one I can think of atm. I'm sure there might be a couple that have screw on backs, but the ones I've had lately have glued on backs, even my AK.

Yes Sony never measures as good as Chinese daps do. But they sound great and unique, Sony does everything in house with design and designs and improves it's digital amplifier.

And personally I wouldn't try to drive any big HD series headphones, even with the non capped version. Just not enough juice there- imo they sound better with more power. Let alone a capped one, that couldn't even drive my iems on some songs. This isn't the dap for bigger headphones unless they're super efficient But it's perfect for most iems and easy to drive stuff. People that have used A Series before know more what to expect regarding output.

Even tiny shanling M0 will drive stuff better, they're not using a digital amp though.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #1,311 of 4,119
What dap does let you easily replace the battery? None I've had in the last 10 years? Ibasso dx 90 is the only one I can think of atm. I'm sure there might be a couple that have screw on backs, but the ones I've had lately have glued on backs, even my AK.

Yes Sony never measures as good as Chinese daps do. But they sound great and unique, Sony does everything in house with design and designs and improves it's digital amplifier.

And personally I wouldn't try to drive any big HD series headphones, even with the non capped version. Just not enough juice there- imo they sound better with more power. Let alone a capped one, that couldn't even drive my iems on some songs. This isn't the dap for bigger headphones unless they're super efficient But it's perfect for most iems and easy to drive stuff. People that have used A Series before know more what to expect regarding output.

Even tiny shanling M0 will drive stuff better, they're not using a digital amp though.
good points..
what do you mean with digital amplifier? is that much different with the other daps? I had an ibasso dx160 which sounded really good but I like more the whole package that the a307 offers, including the sound quality

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,312 of 4,119
interesting post, I hope the A306/7 is going to be measured in that forum just out of curiosity, although people there are not so happy with measurements of previous devices from sony it seems..
There is an user reporting on that forum about how difficult is going to be the battery replacement, let's see how it's going to be within the next years until somebody decides to replace a battery

If the A105 is any indication, Sony will discontinue battery supplies when the A306 reaches the end of its sale cycle. Then it remains for the user to brave AliExpress or eBay in the potentially vain hope of identifying a legitimate replacement, along with finding a third-party shop that offers good desoldering services.

Many still do. The battery in Lotoo's PAW 6000 isn't soldered and is reportedly simple to replace. As far as Walkmans, Sony's most expensive models also avoid soldered batteries, instead using wires that are apparently easy to disconnect.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,314 of 4,119
If the finned back is made of aluminum then it looks to be designed more for function than looks. Does the A300 have heat issues or produce more heat?
No not at all! I've had it running for 20+ hours straight w/o any heating issues. Even whilst charging the unit doesn't get warm.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,315 of 4,119
If the finned back is made of aluminum then it looks to be designed more for function than looks. Does the A300 have heat issues or produce more heat?
Cold playing flat out and even fast charging
7hrs today and not even warm.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,316 of 4,119
If the A105 is any indication, Sony will discontinue battery supplies when the A306 reaches the end of its sale cycle. Then it remains for the user to brave AliExpress or eBay in the potentially vain hope of identifying a legitimate replacement, along with finding a third-party shop that offers good desoldering services.

Many still do. The battery in Lotoo's PAW 6000 isn't soldered and is reportedly simple to replace. As far as Walkmans, Sony's most expensive models avoid soldered batteries, instead using wires that are apparently easy to disconnect.

Easy to find a replacement cell from an electrical supply house- just match voltage, ma and size, and anyone with rudimentary soldering skills can solder the contacts. Is anybody sure the battery isn't on a ribbon connect anyways?

Or you can always send it to somebody if you're dead set on keeping it after the battery goes. Just like your cellphone. Chances are after 3-5 years you'll want something new anyways.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,317 of 4,119

That's one of the benefits of having a digital amp, low power and cool runnings. I'd venture the back is plastic like previous A Series.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,319 of 4,119
good points..
what do you mean with digital amplifier? is that much different with the other daps? I had an ibasso dx160 which sounded really good but I like more the whole package that the a307 offers, including the sound quality

Well it doesn't have a dac so to speak. It directly amplifies the raw digital signal then puts it through filters- a pulse width modular basically on or off (digital) data to another filter to remove the high frequency pulses (carrier) and have remaing audio signal outputed to an analog signal.

No dac or adc is used. If the PWM isn't filtered precisely distortion can be present so the filter to remove the high frequency data must be really good. Fortunately Sony has been designing and perfecting these type of amps for years. So basically a digital square wave amplifies the signal and then must be filtered our. That's simplified of course. The benefits are low heat and low power draw.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back