New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,321 of 4,127
Hello, I have been viewing this thread for a couple of days now and I just made an account a few days ago.

I would like to get some advice concerning the Sony Nw-A306. I currently have the Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 release and I bought on Black friday for $167 Usd plus tax. But I'm having trouble with the device performance especially with my large music library of 15,000 tracks. Majority of my songs are 16bit/24bit Flac with a few MQA albums. But my R3 struggles to even load artist when I click on albums. For instance, for the artist Vicente Fernandez I have over 35 albums but the players takes a minimum of 10 seconds and up to 45 seconds to even load all the albums by this artist. The R3 just freezes and I cant do anything until it loads. I read on forums that Hiby Os 2.0 had some issues so I downgraded to 1.9 but this device still struggles to load albums.

So now, I'm looking into another dap that is more powerful because the Hiby R3 seems underpowered in terms of cpu and ram. I would like to know whether the Sony Nw-A306 japanese version is a worthy upgrade. Also, if this device can handle large music libraries because I don't want to deal with laggy music devices.

I will also note the performance of the Hiby R3 is better in folder view compared to its traditions tabs of albums, artists and all songs. But it takes a lot time to restructure all my music it a folder structure of Artist->Albums/Singles->Individual songs.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #1,322 of 4,127
Hello, I have been viewing this thread for a couple of days now and I just made an account a few days ago.

I would like to get some advice concerning the Sony Nw-A306. I currently have the Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022 release and I bought on Black friday for $167 Usd plus tax. But I'm having trouble with the device performance especially with my large music library of 15,000 tracks. Majority of my songs are 16bit/24bit Flac with a few MQA albums. But my R3 struggles to even load artist when I click on albums. For instance, for the artist Vicente Fernandez I have over 35 albums but the players takes a minimum of 10 seconds and up to 45 seconds to even load all the albums by this artist. The R3 just freezes and I cant do anything until it loads. I read on forums that Hiby Os 2.0 had some issues so I downgraded to 1.9 but this device still struggles to load albums.

So now, I'm looking into another dap that is more powerful because the Hiby R3 seems underpowered in terms of cpu and ram. I would like to know whether the Sony Nw-A306 japanese version is a worthy upgrade. Also, if this device can handle large music libraries because I don't want to deal with laggy music devices.

I will also note the performance of the Hiby R3 is better in folder view compared to its traditions tabs of albums, artists and all songs. But it takes a lot time to restructure all my music it a folder structure of Artist->Albums/Singles->Individual songs.

Ha ha I answered you in the other thread. Basically the Sony will perform better with your files- way faster cpu and more ram. But it doesn't have as much output, don't know what you're using as cans- iems? And there seems to be a random error with low bass. So I'd hold off a bit until Sony addresses the problem.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,324 of 4,127
I just responded to the other thread. Sorry for posting it twice. You can respond to either and I will try keep my message to the same thread next time.

Oh that's fine don't worry about it 😀 I responded in the other thread but if you want to drive your sennheiser properly definitely get the m1s. Plus you don't need android so there's that too 😉

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,325 of 4,127
Easy to find a replacement cell from an electrical supply house- just match voltage, ma and size, and anyone with rudimentary soldering skills can solder the contacts.

Say what?

Recently, I tried to find battery replacements for the A105, but in my region of the U.S. my efforts seemed like mission impossible. To begin with, the repair center that Sony uses for North America had already discontinued support for the 100 series. Eventually, I did find two non-Sony affiliated shops that could do the work, but neither of them could source the proper battery. Finally, in increasing desperation, I downloaded the A105's service manual myself. No luck--I could find mainly part numbers, not sufficient specifications. It's probably just as well: I wasn't prepared to deal with the quality lottery that's AliExpress or eBay.

Ultimately, I wasted mainly fruitless hours trying to begin the process for what should have been a fundamentally basic task.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,326 of 4,127
Say what?

Recently, I tried to find battery replacements for the A105, but in my region of the U.S. my efforts seemed like mission impossible. To begin with, the repair center that Sony uses for North America had already discontinued support for the 100 series. Eventually, I did find two shops that could do the work, but neither of them could source the proper battery. Finally, in increasing desperation, I downloaded the A105's service manual myself. No luck--I could find mainly part numbers, not sufficient specifications. It's probably just as well: I wasn't prepared to deal with the quality lottery that is AliExpress or eBay.

Ultimately, I wasted mainly fruitless hours trying to begin the process for what should be a fundamentally basic task.
These things have a product cycle with these companies replacing a battery is not deemed economically viable for them ..given age of DAP and cost to replace battery ...the battery in the A105 was not great anyway, i suggest you continue to use A105 and charge when necessary or get a new DAP

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,327 of 4,127
Say what?

Recently, I tried to find battery replacements for the A105, but in my region of the U.S. my efforts seemed like mission impossible. To begin with, the repair center that Sony uses for North America had already discontinued support for the 100 series. Eventually, I did find two non-Sony affiliated shops that could do the work, but neither of them could source the proper battery. Finally, in increasing desperation, I downloaded the A105's service manual myself. No luck--I could find mainly part numbers, not sufficient specifications. It's probably just as well: I wasn't prepared to deal with the quality lottery that's AliExpress or eBay.

Ultimately, I wasted mainly fruitless hours trying to begin the process for what should have been a fundamentally basic task.
When sourcing my Astell Kern 240 battery, I found the as long as battery had the same (or similar) voltage and dimensionally was close, it was all good. You won’t find the “exact” replacement, but something close. Same with my iPod photo from 2005. Other than some initial funky battery charge readings while the charging system calibrated, all is good. Here’s one for $8. I’m sure Sony OEM batteries like everyone else.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #1,328 of 4,127
Say what?

Sony doesn't make the batteries lol. You can easily find a battery with the same specs, or better. I never had to change a Sony battery but I know I could find something that worked. I've had to change a couple of dap batteries that were defective- blew the back off and never had any problems.

Anyways a105 was terrible on battery. As goody said you should get a new dap. Something with an easy to change battery, if possible. Looks like someone found one for the a105 in seconds 😉

And reports on battery being hard to change, well has someone opened their a306 and looked inside yet? I mean you could always get a paw 6000.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #1,329 of 4,127
Sony doesn't make the batteries lol. You can easily find a battery with the same specs, or better. I never had to change a Sony battery but I know I could find something that worked. I've had to change a couple of dap batteries that were defective- blew the back off and never had any problems.

Anyways a105 was terrible on battery. As goody said you should get a new dap. Something with an easy to change battery, if possible. Looks like someone found one for the a105 in seconds 😉

And reports on battery being hard to change, well has someone opened their a306 and looked inside yet? I mean you could always get a paw 6000.
I Just looked up the Paw 6000 device you mentioned and it truly looks amazing. This would be my ideal device based on the screen size as I mentioned earlier. But the price tag is $1,200 dollar I believe and that's more than want I am willing to pay for a DAP at the moment.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,330 of 4,127
Well I completed the factory reset, reloaded my apps and downloaded my music onto the Micro SD storage…

Thankfully, the bass remains, still no issues there.

Only issues that remain are:

-Low feedback static when on wifi
-Some lag when downloading (better in this regard than the ZX507, slightly worse than the WM1AM2)

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,331 of 4,127
I Just looked up the Paw 6000 device you mentioned and it truly looks amazing. This would be my ideal device based on the screen size as I mentioned earlier. But the price tag is $1,200 dollar I believe and that's more than want I am willing to pay for a DAP at the moment.

I had one it's a nice dap for sure, fast and great eq/dsp. Warmish/neutral sound. Good battery life. Yep a little overpriced compared to most Chinese daps like Sony and AK are. Small but no streaming and was a bit too big for me, but it's nice and compact compared to a lot of daps. Would run your headphones nicely especially out of balanced.

Only problem fiio, shanling, hiby, ibasso, ect, have upped their game over the years and you can get a nice or better dap for less. Something like ibasso dx 170 (beautiful screen) for instance. Although not quite as compact I think but loaded for the price and top notch sound. Some of them were a bit rough such as ibasso but have really improved quality wise.

Lotoo has very excellent quality, probably the best Chinese brand for build.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #1,332 of 4,127
Well I completed the factory reset, reloaded my apps and downloaded my music onto the Micro SD storage…

Thankfully, the bass remains, still no issues there.

Only issues that remain are:

-Low feedback static when on wifi
-Some lag when downloading (better in this regard than the ZX507, slightly worse than the WM1AM2)

You could try changing your router channel. Seemed to help mine.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #1,333 of 4,127

So who exactly is buying and using the batteries that Sony does make in their factories and why doesn't Sony use their own batteries?

//Edit: I didn't notice that Sony sold its battery business to murata, so you're right. Sonys batteries are made by murata (in the factories that belonged to Sony in the past, so the same employee but still, different company now)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,334 of 4,127
I was testing an A300 from e-earphone trying to reproduce this and i found the following.

If i was playing the test file constantly, the A300 measured flat. If i was stopping the test file and only started to play it when measuring, there was a lack in the Bass.

But if you measure stereo, you also see an totally strange behaviour. The Sound starts on the right channel only and slowly moves to the middle.

I sadly didn't made any screenshots because i run out of time and i plan to go there today (the main reason to go there was to review the Moondrop Venus)

But in my experience, this issue only appears when you "wakeup" the A300 by start to play something, most likely because the capacitors discharge.

Can anyone confirm this finding?

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,335 of 4,127
My $3 silicon case from Taobao arrived today, perfectly fitted, and quite nice !

PXL_20230223_080756520.jpg

PXL_20230223_080919685.jpg

PXL_20230223_081056147.jpg

PXL_20230223_080850990.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back