New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 12, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #616 of 4,178
Hi everyone.

As my first post, please can I say a huge thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. :sunglasses::thumbsup:
I’ve been pulling my hair out since the A306 was announced trying to find out when and where I could get one without any help from Sony UK / US, so finding this thread has opened up so many things to me, thank you!

Cards on the table.
While I had the original Walkman before it was even released in the UK, the streaming and file players are all new to me, so please be gentle with me as an older guy and allow me some basic questions as I can’t be alone as a more senior newbie! :older_man:

Having read every post, can ask / confirm the following please.

1) I’d not heard of the A307 before – is this to be a non-UK/US version and is the only difference it is 64GB rather than 32GB?

2) If I get the 32GB version, did I read I can’t use Spotify etc when not on Wi-Fi as I can’t download what they require due to lack of internal memory?

3) If I get a Hong Kong version – that comes without the capped sound output?

4) If I get the Hong Kong version, can I only charge it via USB and not a USB port on a UK plug?

5) Anyone used Accessory Jack to bring theirs in and did Customs take their piece?

6) What sub £500 in ear headphones can anyone recommend?
I was looking at these: Etymotic ER3-XR $149.99
https://www.etymotic.com/product/er3xr-earphones/
Any thoughts? :thinking:

7) What is the best way of turning my CD collection into files – My laptop doesn’t have a CD capability.

8) Finally, any tips to someone who has not used this type of technology before?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me and thank you once again, this is such a great thread. :pray:

Hello and welcome and sorry for your wallet. Question 1- yes only difference is on board memory 32 vs 64.

#2 Yes you can do spotify and save songs to the micro USB card.

#3 HK version is NOT capped.

#4 You can charge it with any walwart- plug, just like a phone. Via USB C.

#5 IDK sorry I'm in the US.

#6 The answer to that question is beyond vast. Iems? Headphones? I'm not the guy to help with that but there is headphone list .com. or maybe it's the headphone list. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions though eventually.

#7 Borrow a laptop from a friend with a cd drive and get exact audio copy or any ripping software. That's the only way I know, unless you buy the AK thing....

#8 You seem coherent lol, and you can read so you'll have no problems and if you do somebody here can help you or knows somebody that can. Most important thing, have fun, enjoy the tunes, don't get to wrapped up in specs. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #617 of 4,178
Thank you so much, sounds like the A306 is all I need and the previous post about the USB External CD Drive takes care of the lack of onboard.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #618 of 4,178
Hi there, and welcome. Can't help with most of these questions but for the CD collection I used one of these via USB to rip my collection to flac files.

Help me decide on this product: Rioddas External CD Drive, USB 3.0 Portable CD/DVD +/-RW Drive Slim DVD/CD ROM Rewriter Burner for Laptop Desktop PC Windows and Linux OS Apple Mac Macbook Pro https://amzn.eu/d/1V4F467

I used music bee to do the ripping, works really well and handy music collection interface as well.
Brilliant - Thank you so much.
Off to check those out.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #621 of 4,178
Nice thread, nice to see this came out to be a rather good wm. A quick question.

I'm coming from the A45 and transfer my music to the device with Foobar's copy to operation.

I can't do that with the A300, Foobar does not recognise the path to the SD card (and the whole device = internal + SD card), so I had to drag the files in manually.

It's there a way to get it working?

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #622 of 4,178
Nice thread, nice to see this came out to be a rather good wm. A quick question.

I'm coming from the A45 and transfer my music to the device with Foobar's copy to operation.

I can't do that with the A300, Foobar does not recognise the path to the SD card (and the whole device = internal + SD card), so I had to drag the files in manually.

It's there a way to get it working?

Sony's Music Center for PC works. I noticed the change in how it looks in Windows Explorer vs the WM1A but I drag and drop mostly so not a big deal. Sounds like Foobar would need to be fixed. Sony is most likely not changing how it presents things.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #624 of 4,178
I'm listening to Arabic music and as the title is shown when screen is off but it doesn't show the beginning letter of the song, anyone knows how to fix this please?
20230213_121308.jpg

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #625 of 4,178
Good thing i stuck with buyee my Japan A306 grey is now on its way to me it cost £294 plus shipping so far very fast service, i never had a problem with buyee to be honest...Hopefully customs develop blindness to ignore it LOL...Now selling my A55 as i have a ZX300 which is better in sound quality

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #626 of 4,178
Anyone know if this DAP is powerful enough to adequately drive the IER-Z1R's? Any other compatibility issues there?
That’s my question too. There aren’t enough A306 owners on head fi to get a good consensus. Logically, the answer should be yes especially if you buy the uncapped version. I’ll be curious to hear an answer as well.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #627 of 4,178
Good thing i stuck with buyee my Japan A306 grey is now on its way to me it cost £294 plus shipping so far very fast service, i never had a problem with buyee to be honest...Hopefully customs develop blindness to ignore it LOL...Now selling my A55 as i have a ZX300 which is better in sound quality
I bought my A306 last night via Accessory Jack. £339, free shipping & 128GB micro SD.

Just as I hoped, they have already shipped it today! 😎👍

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #628 of 4,178
Anyone know if this DAP is powerful enough to adequately drive the IER-Z1R's? Any other compatibility issues there?
Well it drives my M9 easily (uncapped version) at an average 80/120 and based on Z1R info should also easily drive

Impedence
40 ohms (1 kHz)
Frequency Response
3 Hz–100,000 Hz
Sensitivities (dB/mW)
103 dB / mW

M9 is

Frequency Response: 5-40,000 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 20 ohms
Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 103 dB

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #629 of 4,178
Tried Bluetooth this morning with by BTR5 and SE846's using 2.5mm balanced via LDAC Best and just around house no drop in signal and sounds as good as it ever has. I personally subscribe to LDAC Best sounds same out of a DAP as it does my Samsung phone (in Direct mode).

Tried a few Sony Sound settings and Vinyl Processor & DC Phase Lineariser not available via BT and selecting ClearAudio+ makes a noticeable sound difference, deeper base and more 3D like, more forward voices.

Initial feeling is a like some songs with ClearAudio+ on more than Direct mode, but some tracks too much bass and more muffled. Think I will stick with Direct mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back