New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #526 of 4,116
I just tested the a306 today - no burn in... It is bright and has almost no bass. The ZX507 out of it's 3.5mm output destroys the 306, its voluptuous warm bouncy and shows some restraint in upper mids for the better - disappointingly I was expecting much better.

I will give it a good burn in time see if things change but I don't expect huge difference, but who knows.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #527 of 4,116
So ultimately is the consensus that the output of the NW-306 or NW-307 weaker than, say, the 7th generation iPod touch from a few years ago? I no longer have one, but that ran my Kato IEMs and HD6XX well enough (granted the HD's were at like 95% volume).

And it sounds like even if you get the capped U.S. version it will still alert you to high-volume and lower it? I wonder what the point is. If the devices is supposed to be "capped" then limit it the max volume where you won't get notified. I'm not sure is see the logic of both lowering the output AND random dropping it in use.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #528 of 4,116
I just tested the a306 today - no burn in... It is bright and has almost no bass. The ZX507 out of it's 3.5mm output destroys the 306, its voluptuous warm bouncy and shows some restraint in upper mids for the better - disappointingly I was expecting much better.

I will give it a good burn in time see if things change but I don't expect huge difference, but who knows.
Don't think A300 series needs burn in. Just goes to show how we all have to listen for ourselves 😀 It is brighter than my 1AM2 but for me has plenty of bass.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #529 of 4,116

Don't think A300 series needs burn in. Just goes to show how we all have to listen for ourselves 😀 It is brighter than my 1AM2 but for me has plenty of bass.

Yep only way you're going to know is listen for yourself. I can tell you the capped version definitely sounds 'thinner' than the uncapped. Plenty of bass for me, everything is very clear and separated. It's definitely more neutral to neutral bright, but I think my last one did get a bit tamer after some hours. Or me just getting used to it 😀

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #530 of 4,116
Yep only way you're going to know is listen for yourself. I can tell you the capped version definitely sounds 'thinner' than the uncapped. Plenty of bass for me, everything is very clear and separated. It's definitely more neutral to neutral bright, but I think my last one did get a bit tamer after some hours. Or me just getting used to it 😀
I don't recognise emilsoft's description at all.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #531 of 4,116
I don't recognise emilsoft's description at all.

Maybe he tried capped one? Mine is bassy even on ba driver. I just tried dynamic and it was really bassy. I do have the 31 band boosted a bit. But lately I've used eq mseb on everything.zThat said I'm sure the 707 is warmer, as the 505 was warmer than the 105.

If I want warm and really bassy and power I can plug in little ibasso dc03 pro. Shows you don't need big caps for Bass. I like the clarity of the a306 though.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #532 of 4,116
Maybe he tried capped one? Mine is bassy even on ba driver. I just tried dynamic and it was really bassy. I do have the 31 band boosted a bit. But lately I've used eq mseb on everything.
Well I'm listening with M9 which has the extra bass driver I think over his M7.

I'm also using Direct, no Sony EQ tweaking/mods.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #533 of 4,116
Well I'm listening with M9 which has the extra bass driver I think over his M7.

I'm also using Direct, no Sony EQ tweaking/mods.

Was using the old ie800 sounds bassy to me. I'm very limited these days as my ears will only tolerate tiny iems. I'd love to try some of the newer sonys. M9 looks fairly small and light though.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #534 of 4,116
Was using the old ie800 sounds bassy to me. I'm very limited these days as my ears will only tolerate tiny iems. I'd love to try some of the newer sonys. M9 looks fairly small and light though.
Very light and good size. I have small ears so not good with the large/deep IEM's.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #536 of 4,116
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I purchased the NW A307 off eBay but the seller sent me the A306. The seller has agreed that he sent the wrong item and is willing to issue a refund upon return of the item. However I already paid over 100$ in VAT fees which would not be recovered. I have asked for a partial refund but no answer from seller. Will eBay do anything to help me in this case usually?

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #537 of 4,116
Ladies and gents there's something very wrong with the a306 - i can't believe anyone in their right minds would release something sounding so off.

Just so my tests don't falsify some data due to balanced armature impedance tonality changes, I plugged in the 306 in my headphone amplifier - Woo WA8 and tested with HD800s

To compare and contrast, I aligned the volume with all my other test devices (and all Sony DAPs were set to volume 100 on 3.5mm, I noted they all (AM2, ZX507) sounded the same level on 3.5mm scale, plenty loud and the 306 I have is uncapped for sure.

I started with Mojo 2: It sound excellent, wide, detailed, instruments separated, also smooth, sparkly, tight and articulated deep bass. All great

WM1AM2: Similar to Mojo 2 but a bit more together sounding (Sony coherence),but less instrument separation and little fuzzy and less articulated, but still a nice listen.

ZX507: a lesser AM2 essentially, but nice bouncy warm bass, groovy if not so refined.

a306: Oh, did i accidentally turn on a bass shelf eq on the DSP, sounds like everything below 125hz is chopped off by about 10db - and I mean everything. Nope, DSP is off, what in the world is going on here something must be wrong with my player, maybe some rogue process is running chopping off all the bass or there is a hardware fault. It is THAT BAD I'm serious. This is no precision audio instrument that costs 350$ - this should be a 5$ dac dongle with a cheap Android OS phone slapped on.

Please someone tell me things improve massively with burn in, otherwise this is absolute trash. It's seriously as if Sony have put on an EQ shelf cut from 120hz down, if not higher.

* I don't mean to diss anyone enjoying their player - but if you listen to a ZX507 or an AM2 on 3.5mm and jump to the A306 for same track, you should hear a massive decrease in bass; it's not even a neutral-bright, it's a super compressed bass that moves almost no air like there is a serious problem. The 3.5mm on the a306 should at least be on par with the ZX507

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back