New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #496 of 4,129
Totally depends on the ear/headphones you use, how good your hearing is and what volume level you're familiar with.

Give you two examples which is my experience using both capped & uncapped A105, ZX507, WM1AM2 (went straight for Japanese import with A307).

Using 3.5mm SE connections

Shure SE846 8 ohm impedance

These must be one of the easiest IEM's to drive, so sensitive you can kill your ears if not careful when using on a laptop where only about 8/100 is loud enough!

With capped Sony DAP's I found myself needing anywhere between 80-90/120 while with the uncapped DAP's 50-55/120

Sony IER-M9 20 ohm impedance, but considered more demanding to drive

These are rated at 20 ohm but seem to need a bit of power, on capped its 100+/120 while on uncapped 75-85/120

I don't now use/have any headphones, but this leads me to think most IEM's should still be driven loud enough for most people even on the capped version, but many headphones won't be.

I just didn't want to pay more money for a crippled EU/UK (US/Canada/Singapore too with new ones) player when often you can import cheaper anyway and only potential problem is any warranty issue. My experience is resale is easier on imported versions too.
So it matters, but mostly if you're using harder to drive earphones. My IEMs are at 16 ohms and 108db sensitivity. Thanks for the reply. Think I'll get the US version, I see it for 348 on bhphotovideo.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #498 of 4,129
Do you hear a hiss or backround noise using the Campfire Audio Holocene with the Sony a306? Im thinking about buying a 306 but im unsure if the Holocene are too sensitive after reading about people having hiss with the SE846. Thanks in advance!
I have a 105 and a c/2019 q4 which is basic a holocene and it plays very well. No hiss and I use pretty agressive eq settings.

Sound is glorious, very punchy.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #499 of 4,129
Do you hear a hiss or backround noise using the Campfire Audio Holocene with the Sony a306? Im thinking about buying a 306 but im unsure if the Holocene are too sensitive after reading about people having hiss with the SE846. Thanks in advance!
There is no hiss for me and the A306 drives pretty well too It is loud for me ard 50-60% you are only able to hear the hiss ard 110-120% without playing any track which I believe you might blow your ears off if you do.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #500 of 4,129
There is no hiss for me and the A306 drives pretty well too It is loud for me ard 50-60% you are only able to hear the hiss ard 110-120% without playing any track which I believe you might blow your ears off if you do.

Awesome to hear! Thank you so much. You think holocene and a306 is a good match up? Im realy hyped for the first reviews and impressions.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #501 of 4,129
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with 1TB or 2TB microsd cards?
I just got a 1TB microSD card for the A307 and transferred the stuff from my NW-WM1A (internal and the 512GB microSD). I put the 512GB into the full size SD adapter into my PC and transferred it directly to the player. It took about eight hours. Transferring the 128GB internal of the WM1A to the A307 was between three and four hours. One time pain. I am going to enjoy not having to worry about carrying a WM-Port cable or adapter on the road.

There is one major difference I figured out on the new Android-based Walkmans that most of you won't care about. I'd have to check, but until this round of Japanese Walkmans (A300, WM1A/ZM2, ZX700), all of the players supported ATRAC - even the older Android ones. I know mine did (I never had US ones). I still have some music encoded in ATRAC and was wondering why it wouldn't display on the player. I verified this on the spec sheet on the Japanese Sony site. The older A50 and the S series with Walkman OS still support it according to the site.

The A307 does not even show the OMGAUDIO folder in the Walkman app if you are browsing by folder but it's there. Oh well.

One neat thing I have observed: depending on the type of audio file, the cassette type on the tape playback screen changes.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #502 of 4,129
I just got a 1TB microSD card for the A307 and transferred the stuff from my NW-WM1A (internal and the 512GB microSD). I put the 512GB into the full size SD adapter into my PC and transferred it directly to the player. It took about eight hours. Transferring the 128GB internal of the WM1A to the A307 was between three and four hours. One time pain. I am going to enjoy not having to worry about carrying a WM-Port cable or adapter on the road.

There is one major difference I figured out on the new Android-based Walkmans that most of you won't care about. I'd have to check, but until this round of Japanese Walkmans (A300, WM1A/ZM2, ZX700), all of the players supported ATRAC - even the older Android ones. I know mine did (I never had US ones). I still have some music encoded in ATRAC and was wondering why it wouldn't display on the player. I verified this on the spec sheet on the Japanese Sony site. The older A50 and the S series with Walkman OS still support it according to the site.

The A307 does not even show the OMGAUDIO folder in the Walkman app if you are browsing by folder but it's there. Oh well.

One neat thing I have observed: depending on the type of audio file, the cassette type on the tape playback screen changes.
No the OMGAUDIO FILES will not show try using a third party app uapp it might play it. baring that get an old Sony player it will play no problem..Like you I have loads of ATRAC files

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #503 of 4,129
No the OMGAUDIO FILES will not show try using a third party app uapp it might play it. baring that get an old Sony player it will play no problem..Like you I have loads of ATRAC files

Hint​

• The ATRAC format is not supported on the player. ATRAC files will be converted to the AAC format to transfer to the player. If you want to convert ATRAC files to another file format, use [Batch convert ATRAC] in Music Center for PC.
  • [Batch convert ATRAC] allows you to simultaneously convert all ATRAC files in the library of Music Center for PC to another file format.
I saw that the other day browsing the online manual.

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #505 of 4,129
I believe this, and the the others in this new line, offer usb-c audio output straight from internal sd files and streaming correct?

If so; what is the power output rating of the USB C port?

And then if this is the case: Would it be possible to use a usb c > 4.4 adapter ?

Last inquiry - do the sound adjustments work for usb c out?

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #507 of 4,129
So it matters, but mostly if you're using harder to drive earphones. My IEMs are at 16 ohms and 108db sensitivity. Thanks for the reply. Think I'll get the US version, I see it for 348 on bhphotovideo.

It is annoying though that it automatically stops playing and puts up a volume warning randomly and lowers the volume to 50.

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #510 of 4,129
Don't get it, US version it's ridiculously weak and has random warnings that pop up and turn the volume to 50. Even on 120 it was too soft for some of my stuff.

Yes the nerfed it like the EU UK models

Yeah I cancelled my pre-order. I'll wait for more real world feedback and see if they fix that ridiculousness with an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back