New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #256 of 4,129
Here are a couple of pics, the coolest thing is the scalloped back imo.

20230204_200139.jpg
20230204_200100.jpg
20230204_200044.jpg
20230204_200025.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #257 of 4,129
Yeah I feel like I'm not getting the full potential. But I am getting noise changing settings and apps too. The other noise comes and goes. Even through the USB out it doesn't sound as wide or full as my hidizs or of course my phone. I mean it's not bad it sounds good, but that lower level and noise kills it.

I could always try Japanese version, and hope it's better because the size is perfect and the battery % barely moved- even when powering my dongle. It's faster too!
How long did you run it? Curious how the new models compare to the specs. I like my 105, but the battery has really turned me off buying another :D

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #258 of 4,129
Thats bad, doubt it would drive my Sony IER-M9's on capped version.

I have IER-M9 as well. I didn't even bother to switch the cable to 3.5mm after listening to the XBA-N3 as I was fairly certain it wouldn't drive them well. I normally use the IER-M9 with my ZX-507 with 4.4mm balanced where I can get native DSD, unlike the A105 or A306.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #259 of 4,129
The mini 3 pro and 4 look to be Impedance : 32ohm so they shouldn't really be that sensitive to a high output impedance from a DAP leading to hiss either, and Recent Sony are sub-1 ohm anyway I think over 3.5mm.

I suspect a faulty unit but will see when mine arrives.

No I've had hiss with them on ibasso 120 before firmware update. But otherwise they've been quiet. It's like when I do any operation I can get whoosh, clicks or hiss. Almost like interference but I put my phone on airplane mode and it still does it.

Could just be US firmware problems. Who knows? Trust me when I say I didn't have this with a105 😀 it's quite obvious at times.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #260 of 4,129
How long did you run it? Curious how the new models compare to the specs. I like my 105, but the battery has really turned me off buying another :D

Well maybe 45 minutes but battery only went down 2 points to 93. That's very good. The dongle drains my hidizs much quicker.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #261 of 4,129
Please don't take this as all negative. It's just 2 things I wasn't expecting. I really liked my a105 except battery life. And this one seems better for sure in that regard. I'm really disappointed they neutered the US models and I will leave a review on Sony's site voicing my dislike:)

And.... I'm pretty sure that 20 something clicks of volume I'm missing would add headroom and it would sound better.

Man I never knew how bad you guys in the UK had it with the volume cap.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #262 of 4,129
I just try the A300 JP version, I have to admit its really impressive. Sony seems to "adopt" all the good things from Mr.Wallkman's fw, big soundstage, great bass, and output power. I think its SQ is slightly better than my A55 mod now. A300's tuning is bright and wild compared to ZX707. ZX707's SQ is good but not impressive to me after considered its price and size.
Screenshot_20230205-144957.png

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #263 of 4,129
Is anyone else having issues with the dynamic normalizer function? It doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do.

I also intermittently get a ton of lag in using software or hardware playback controls.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #264 of 4,129
I just try the A300 JP version, I have to admit its really impressive. Sony seems to "adopt" all the good things from Mr.Wallkman's fw, big soundstage, great bass, and output power. I think its SQ is slightly better than my A55 mod now. A300's tuning is bright and wild compared to ZX707. ZX707's SQ is good but not impressive to me after considered its price and size.

Hmm, that definitely isn't how the US version sounds. Shame.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #265 of 4,129
I have IER-M9 as well. I didn't even bother to switch the cable to 3.5mm after listening to the XBA-N3 as I was fairly certain it wouldn't drive them well. I normally use the IER-M9 with my ZX-507 with 4.4mm balanced where I can get native DSD, unlike the A105 or A306.
How can you listen with N3 after having M9's ?

I found the N3 base saturated & muddy mids and sold to a work colleague after a few days.

Of course if never had high end IEM's like M9 many find them great, but you have M9's. Good in their price range.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #266 of 4,129
How can you listen with N3 after having M9's ?

I found the N3 base saturated & muddy mids and sold to a work colleague after a few days.

Of course if never had high end IEM's like M9 many find them great, but you have M9's. Good in their price range.
The A105 (and A307) with N3 is my grab and go pocket friendly rig. I have "better" equipment for more focused listening. I don't find the N3 to be terrible, but it is bass heavy, some would call "fun" tuning. I do like the easy fit (no ear hooks) and I can get a good seal without fiddling. I actually use the IER-NW510n for noise cancelling/ambient sometimes also, but the N3 is obviously better. My APP2 are starting to displace the A105 for casual streaming (with noise cancelling) but the Sony has SDCard storage for my local library...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #267 of 4,129
Please don't take this as all negative. It's just 2 things I wasn't expecting. I really liked my a105 except battery life. And this one seems better for sure in that regard. I'm really disappointed they neutered the US models and I will leave a review on Sony's site voicing my dislike:)

And.... I'm pretty sure that 20 something clicks of volume I'm missing would add headroom and it would sound better.

Man I never knew how bad you guys in the UK had it with the volume cap.
we always bought from japan.. if you listened to the EU crippled one the sound was so dull and lifeless

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #268 of 4,129
Well, hmm checked it out and I'm extremely disappointed. Yes it's not only volume limited but the output is very hissy. To me it sounds similar to a105 but of course volume and a lot more noise, and maybe less soundstage? (From memory) I will never use the output of this, so it seems kind of a waste to use it solely for Bluetooth and transport for 370 dollars.

I'll be returning it for sure. Nice looking unit and pretty fast but meh. Of course there could be a problem with mine idk. But I tested with rose mini 3pro and it has lots of background noise. I don't remember any on a105. But I'm not into taking a chance on a Japanese unit that wouldn't be easy to return.

I'll post picks later, sorry to be a bummer. I haven't heard hiss like that for a long time.

Also sounds like maybe screen or switching noise. Idk I really haven't heard anything on a dap for a while. Maybe a firmware update can fix it, but I'm just disappointed.
Wow, so sorry what we discussed earlier was proven to be true. Somehow I was pinning my hopes that the shipping delay you experienced was because Sony had realized they made a mistake of limiting the volume of US / North American units and was gonna send you a "normal" unit. I really hate how Sony's stubbornness wrecks their own products. I guess this is their way of forcing people to buy grey market products and then not having to cover a grey market device under product warranty.

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #269 of 4,129
Wow, so sorry what we discussed earlier was proven to be true. Somehow I was pinning my hopes that the shipping delay you experienced was because Sony had realized they made a mistake of limiting the volume of US / North American units and was gonna send you a "normal" unit. I really hate how Sony's stubbornness wrecks their own products. I guess this is their way of forcing people to buy grey market products and then not having to cover a grey market device under product warranty.

Absolutely true, you can even hear normal loudness when you first boot it up from factory state. Then when you try and go past 50 it freezes and gives that warning (even with avls off) and then it's neutered.

I heard that loudness from the beginning and I thought it was OK, but of course not. Sony you screwed the pooch. It sounds thin and narrow even at max volume. I mean good highs but the bass needs more power. Plus I have awful screen noises . 🙃

Still debating trying a grey market unit.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #270 of 4,129
Yeah I feel like I'm not getting the full potential.
I never understood this "full potential" thing. If you get enough volume, then it's fine potential-wise, and it shouldn't matter if it's 90 out of 100 or 15 out of 100, it's enough and that's all that matters.
Having more power doesn't improve anything if you don't really use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back