New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 21, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #1,261 of 4,127
Ok i was fooling around with REW this morning looks like mine is ok..... what do you guys think?

By the way that slight popping that some people hear it seems to be a software thing on certain files, i remember that being on the A105 when i first got it the subsequent firmware took care of that .
Initial set up of my A306 was laggy as hell i think it was doing the initial setup in the background even though home screen was usable it must have been eating the RAM...mine has settled down and is very quick , it was just initial setup gremlins
Like a few others, even without proper calibration of anything, if you record something near 0dB, then it’s noise and probably not any signal.
This is not the FR of your device.

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #1,262 of 4,127
No idea what that's showing :smile:

Looks as nonsense to me as the one I helped Atomic do via his mic/headset single port

11989653.png

Yours

11992178.png

Nothing like the proper line-in sweeps (mine)

11986888.png

I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like with no input signal, just noise... @goody - are you seeing an input signal on this screen (red arrow)?

1676650677786.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #1,263 of 4,127
I agree, think it settles down somewhat as you say, slightly less bright and the more noticeable SE846 amp hiss has diminished to near nothing. Still no regrets replacing my 1AM2 with it for my needs with easy drive IEM's :smile:
Yep the brightness is subdued a bit not complaining it still sounds damn good !! streaming spotify with it and it works like a champ ..Great buy in my books

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,264 of 4,127
I'm pretty sure that what it looks like with no input signal, just noise... @goody - are you seeing an input signal on this screen (red arrow)?

1676650677786.png
Nothing is coming through do i have to play a file or just let it calibrate soundcard ...i connected my dap via usb dac then 3.5mm to 3.5mm on computer....output walkman input microphone

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #1,265 of 4,127
Nothing is coming through do i have to play a file or just let it calibrate soundcard ...i connected my dap via usb dac then 3.5mm to 3.5mm on computer....output walkman input microphone

No, you don't have to play anything. What kind of computer/sound interface do you have?

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,266 of 4,127
I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like with no input signal, just noise... @goody - are you seeing an input signal on this screen (red arrow)?

Just for info, when I worked with Atomic to do his we did see this and could vary it by changing volume on the Walkman, then ran calibration as per your guide :relaxed: :relaxed: His sweep looked nonsense too.

Atomic's is an old SurfacePro6 with a single combined mic/headset 3.5mm

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,267 of 4,127
Yep the brightness is subdued a bit not complaining it still sounds damn good !! streaming spotify with it and it works like a champ ..Great buy in my books
I've left mine in 48Hz mode (longer battery) with just using Spotify, leaving Hi-mode (192) off. Walkman app & UAPP are still bit-perfect either way.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,268 of 4,127
Just on the battery care thing, I was down to 30% so decided to charge again on my fast charger at work and its really quick and this time stopped at (well showed Charged rather than charging).
20230221_130359.jpg

No sign of getting hot either.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,269 of 4,127
I've uninstalled Amazon Music now as not renewing my annual sub again in a couple of weeks, I'm happy enough with Spotify for discovering Music then buying what you really like in best quality. I was hoping Spotify had gone to lossless FLAC by now but that has gone quiet.
I'm about to do the same and drop Amazon.
Having tried it out for a few months (while I hate to say it!) Spotify is easier to work with.

I'll probably still buy my tracks from Amazon or Bandcamp though.

Not tried out Tidal or Deezer etc.
Anything better than Spotify?

I'm going to spend a day tomorrow just streaming with the A306 to see how it does.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,270 of 4,127
Having tried it out for a few months (while I hate to say it!) Spotify is easier to work with.

I'm going to spend a day tomorrow just streaming with the A306 to see how it does.
The music quality & price is great but the app even on mobile is just not as nice to work with as say Spotify and Tidal (not used any others). Plus wife is bonded to Spotify for life! (podcasts & we have DUO account)

Not tried Deezer, Apple or the Q one. Still think Spotify has best use/integration and works flawlessly with my car and two sets of KEF smart speakers (LSX & LS50WII) and our LG OLED TV's.

They need to get the lossless option they promised well over a year ago the silently dropped.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #1,271 of 4,127

I personally like spotify, tidal is OK but spotify is a better value imo. MQA is meh to me. Spotify works great in the car. That said I'll take a free trial of tidal anytime ha ha. I got 3 free months of spotify and I really like it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,272 of 4,127
Just for info, when I worked with Atomic to do his we did see this and could vary it by changing volume on the Walkman, then ran calibration as per your guide :relaxed: :relaxed: His sweep looked nonsense too.

Atomic's is an old SurfacePro6 with a single combined mic/headset 3.5mm

So, it has a 3.5 mm TRRS headset jack? I'm not sure that is going to work with a 3.5 mm TRS cable as the second ring and sleeve are shorted (i.e the microphone input is grounded out)...

1676991641350.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #1,273 of 4,127
I've left mine in 48Hz mode (longer battery) with just using Spotify, leaving Hi-mode (192) off. Walkman app & UAPP are still bit-perfect either way.
Yep hi-res mode streaming is off

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,274 of 4,127

Surprisingly apple music is also very good

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,275 of 4,127
So, it has a 3.5 mm TRRS headset jack? I'm not sure that is going to work with a 3.5 mm TRS cable as the second ring and sleeve are shorted.

The Sony jack works fine with any 3 pole plug, just not picking up the second ground. It works, but there obviously is an issue with the mic in. Can find a pc with line in or run RTA file sweep. Not idea on the sweep but at least you can see if there's a drop off.

I'm not even positive there's a widespread problem. So many variables with soundcards and software and such. I'd still trust your ears. I've had the big boys along with evey A Series from 45 on and they always sounded leaner in the bass, except maybe wma1. But I still think the bass was a little more rounded, that one had a more neutral sig.

The 505 sounded warmer than a105. I haven't tried the 700 obviously or the newer $$$ ones. The gold brick- wm1z was really bassy, I demoed it, nice but almost too warm for me.

All I'm saying is if you can't test and your bass doesn't sound anemic- especially with DD's or hybrids or easy to drive full size you're probably fine. More power is going to bring the bass out more in stuff that takes a bit of current and the a306 might not be up to it.

The capped one, just say no. Oh, and I'm not saying there isn't a problem either. Obviously emilsoft had a problem- he noticed it straight away and I think my first had a problem but that was capped. So maybe that was it. You can also compare to other daps you have with flat output and see how they compare sound wise. I Whipped out the old apple nano with the Wolfson chip and the Sony destroyed it.
But the apple can drive things better and has a more prominent low end, well close with dc03 pro. Definitely some extra boost down low.

More thumpy than all of my other sources. Hissy too. Almost like the nano is a bit V shaped. But in staging, imaging and detail a306 just whooped it, as you'd expect.

Sorry rambled on a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• thr4
Back