New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jun 12, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #3,301 of 4,162
Perfect cabled with UAPP with MQA add-on too.

20230606_140537.jpg20230606_140451.jpg

I have this strange issue where sometimes uapp can't read the files on my sd card even though walkman player can. it happens randomly without any clear cause

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,302 of 4,162
I have this strange issue where sometimes uapp can't read the files on my sd card even though walkman player can. it happens randomly without any clear cause

Try forcing non-scoped storage in UAPP settings and clear database/rescan.

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,303 of 4,162
Try forcing non-scoped storage in UAPP settings and clear database/rescan.
it started working again but if there are issues again I'll try that

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #3,304 of 4,162
I am a Roon user and regularly use the mobile app Roon Arc on my NW-306. Roon Arc recently updated and now includes MUSE Audio Precision Control which includes an EQ function. I primarily use my Sennheiser IE200's with my NW-306 when I am on the go and I'm currently using MUSE to give me a bit of a bass boost. I have enjoyed the NW-306 but have always felt that the low and mid bass was lacking somewhat even with the latest firmware no matter what earphone I was using. But the MUSE software remedies my issue completely. I would be interested in hearing about other people's experience with the NW-306-Roon Arc-MUSE-earphone combo. It is working quite well for me.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #3,305 of 4,162
I am a Roon user and regularly use the mobile app Roon Arc on my NW-306. Roon Arc recently updated and now includes MUSE Audio Precision Control which includes an EQ function. I primarily use my Sennheiser IE200's with my NW-306 when I am on the go and I'm currently using MUSE to give me a bit of a bass boost. I have enjoyed the IE200/NW-306 combo but have always felt that the low and mid bass was lacking somewhat, but the MUSE software remedies my issue completely. I would be interested in hearing about other people's experience with the NW-306-Roon Arc-MUSE-earphone combo. It is working quite well for me.

You know the Sony EQ works system wide right?

Jun 14, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,306 of 4,162
You know the Sony EQ works system wide right?
Yes I've looked at it and have used it. The Roon Arc MUSE software used with the Sony NW-306 is quite a bit more robust. See:

Good to know that the Sony EQ is there too, especially when I am offline.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,308 of 4,162
thanks for this, setting this seems to have removed all the issues i was having with uapp. wonder why u have to set that on the sony.

cheers

I think it's a bug in UAPP for Android 11 and above (scoped storage), not specific to the Sony DAP.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #3,310 of 4,162
I have used my A306 with my Gryphon and it works fine, other than USB SRC issues on some apps (Android). Other sources I have used are an iPod Touch, an iPhone SE (no SIM) and Hiby R3 Pro. The iPod Touch is my favorite.

IMG_1365.jpeg

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #3,313 of 4,162
After reading this forum and all the things that have been written about the Sony NW-A306 DAP, I eventually decided not to go through the hassle to get one from Japan.

So I just picked up an european one, and using it with the Shure 535 IEM and its default cable RMCE-UNI (mmcx cable with a mic), the capped volume doesn’t seem to be a problem, it’s loud enough.

There’s one thing that annoys me: the remote control (volume/play/pause…) on the wired headset doesn’t seem to work with this Sony. Does anyone know if there is a trick to enable it somehow in the software ?

Thanks !

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #3,314 of 4,162
After reading this forum and all the things that have been written about the Sony NW-A306 DAP, I eventually decided not to go through the hassle to get one from Japan.

So I just picked up an european one, and using it with the Shure 535 IEM and its default cable RMCE-UNI (mmcx cable with a mic), the capped volume doesn’t seem to be a problem, it’s loud enough.

There’s one thing that annoys me: the remote control (volume/play/pause…) on the wired headset doesn’t seem to work with this Sony. Does anyone know if there is a trick to enable it somehow in the software ?

Thanks !
That cannot work. The A306 3.5mm socket is a TRRS socket which can use a separated GRD for each audio channel, when a TRRS 3.5mm plug is used. So all the leads in the socket are used.
There are no extra leads that can be used for control, and besides, the A306 has no circuitry implemented for playback control through the 3.5mm jack.

Jun 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,315 of 4,162
That cannot work. The A306 3.5mm socket is a TRRS socket which can use a separated GRD for each audio channel, when a TRRS 3.5mm plug is used. So all the leads in the socket are used.
There are no extra leads that can be used for control, and besides, the A306 has no circuitry implemented for playback control through the 3.5mm jack.
OK, thanks, I suspected the nw-a306 wasn’t physically wired to handle the inline microphone / remote control.
But does it mean that I can find a mmcx cable with a 3.5 mm TRRS jack that can take advantage of this Sony’s way of wiring - to make it balanced ? - would it make the sound better then with the Shure IEM ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back