New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #2,566 of 4,139
I wanted to wait a full week to write this.
In the end I decided to buy the iBasso DX320, my brother also decided to buy the iBasso DX170 model. The sound of both models is amazing, clear mids and well defined soundstage, mine (DX320) accentuates more the soundstage and the details are more than evident in certain albums. The sound quality in Bluetooth mode is stable and pleasant as well. So far I have no complaints, the latest firmware I installed in less than 3 minutes, and with a Samsung EVO Plus (A2) 1TB SDXC it runs without any problems. I think that later when Sony brings out another DAP more advanced model and where they not have sound issues-problems maybe I will buy a DAP from them, what I unfortunately have to comment is that Sony's support service is terribly bad!.
Huh? The DX320 is the competition to the WM1AM2 and not to the A300

Thats like saying "There are so many issues with the Volkswagen Polo that i now bought an Ferrari"

You can not compare cheap entry level DAPs to High End DAPs

And as far as i know, every A300 with this issue was replaced by Sony instantly. I asked at e-earphone how they handle this issue and they told that they will instantly replace the device (no need to wait for an repair or anything).

Getting an instant replacement is what i call a good service.

I also asked the Sony Support via the Chat Feature on their homepage and they also told me that if i have any issues, i should just send in the device, they will check it and replace it.

On a sidenode i would have rather gotten an FiiO than an iBasso. The iBasso are a bit overpriced and, as you can see in the iBasso thread the devices have a _lot_ of issues. Much more than the Sony A-Series

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,567 of 4,139
Huh? The DX320 is the competition to the WM1AM2 and not to the A300

Thats like saying "There are so many issues with the Volkswagen Polo that i now bought an Ferrari"

You can not compare cheap entry level DAPs to High End DAPs

And as far as i know, every A300 with this issue was replaced by Sony instantly. I asked at e-earphone how they handle this issue and they told that they will instantly replace the device (no need to wait for an repair or anything).

Getting an instant replacement is what i call a good service.

I also asked the Sony Support via the Chat Feature on their homepage and they also told me that if i have any issues, i should just send in the device, they will check it and replace it.

On a sidenode i would have rather gotten an FiiO than an iBasso. The iBasso are a bit overpriced and, as you can see in the iBasso thread the devices have a _lot_ of issues. Much more than the Sony A-Series
Hi could i ask where do you live?
In my country Sony Repair Center still say my device has no problem :frowning2:.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #2,568 of 4,139
Hi could i ask where do you live?
In my country Sony Repair Center still say my device has no problem :frowning2:.
Did you send it in for repair and they send it back unrepaired?

You don't have to do long lasting conversations with them, just send it it using the form. Maybe print the frequency response graph and attach it and maybe add a link to this thread and you're done

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #2,569 of 4,139
Did you send it in for repair and they send it back unrepaired?

You don't have to do long lasting conversations with them, just send it it using the form. Maybe print the frequency response graph and attach it and maybe add a link to this thread and you're done
The tech guy call me that he cannot find any problem with the device and return the device.

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #2,571 of 4,139
Wow thats stupid. Just send it in again and say, it still doesn't work. They a forced to repair it, they have no choice.
I went through something similar with Asus (ZenFone 9 random restart issue, you can Google it) and I had to send it back twice. What concerns me is that with Asus my phone works fine but needed to be repaired as it was a hardware issue. I don't have any prior experience with Sony so I don't know what to expect. However, I can't help but wonder whether it would be a hardware issue with Sony nw-a306 and if not, is there any previous experience with Sony releasing firmware to correct similar issues? (in case anyone knows?)

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #2,572 of 4,139
I went through something similar with Asus (ZenFone 9 random restart issue, you can Google it) and I had to send it back twice. What concerns me is that with Asus my phone works fine but needed to be repaired as it was a hardware issue. I don't have any prior experience with Sony so I don't know what to expect. However, I can't help but wonder whether it would be a hardware issue with Sony nw-a306 and if not, is there any previous experience with Sony releasing firmware to correct similar issues? (in case anyone knows?)
There have been nothing similar with any other Walkman afair

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #2,573 of 4,139
There have been nothing similar with any other Walkman afair
Great 🥲😃

I'll have to find out how to send it back (abroad) and still get some ££ back from HMRC, it's not cheap. It looks like a lose / lose situation now for me.

I'd say that anyone that can return within their country should probably do as @Vamp898 suggested. I've done it (with other companies!), it is a pain but in a few weeks /months / years and possibly more than 1 attempt you'll get a working device

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,574 of 4,139
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #2,575 of 4,139
Basically it takes digital data and then amps it with pulse wave modulation carrier frequencies, then it removes those carrier frequencies with a filter and you're left with the amped audio signal. Simplified of course, the filters have to be very precise otherwise you're left with harmonic distortion if the 'carrier' amplification freq isn't properly removed. Those carrier frequencies are very high amplitude (energy/freq) and amplify the signal. All in the digital domain, then are removed and you are left with the correct audio signal, like gold flakes being filtered through a sluice.

It was a problem in early class D amps, but it'saudit e been improved greatly. It's very efficient and generates hardly any heat. Sony is on the umpteenth generation of their own class D amps. All done in house, they are Jedi masters of small class D amps you could say 😀 Plus all their excellent dsp know how really helps. Much different than most daps that use delta sigma chips from AKM, ESS, Cirrus etc.

Sony gets to control much more of the audio tech themselves and that makes their daps unique. Only downside is power output is less than typical systems. So the balanced outs have to add lots to boost the tiny class D amps output. Size just doesn't allow that with the A Series small frame. Although I know the s master amp can output at least 50 mw @16 ohms itself. Probably throttled to 35 mw on the A Series to save battery, less on a capped one.

What is the difference between
delta sigma chips from AKM, ESS, Cirrus etc. And Sony's own in house chips? Is the Sony process completely different?

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #2,576 of 4,139
What is the difference between
delta sigma chips from AKM, ESS, Cirrus etc. And Sony's own in house chips? Is the Sony process completely different?
The Chips from AKM, ESS, Cirrus etc. are DAC. They convert a digital signal to an analog signal. They are _not_ amps.

The Sony S-Master HX is an Digital Amp. They have nothing in common.

An DAC is an DAC and an Amp is an Amp^^ those are two different devices meant to do two different things. One is converting from digital to analog, the other is amplifying the signal.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #2,577 of 4,139
Can I take advantage of that with any 3.5 earphone?
No, the earphones themselves will need to be a 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable then use an appropriate 3.5mm balanced adapter

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #2,579 of 4,139
I wanted to wait a full week to write this.
In the end I decided to buy the iBasso DX320, my brother also decided to buy the iBasso DX170 model. The sound of both models is amazing, clear mids and well defined soundstage, mine (DX320) accentuates more the soundstage and the details are more than evident in certain albums. The sound quality in Bluetooth mode is stable and pleasant as well. So far I have no complaints, the latest firmware I installed in less than 3 minutes, and with a Samsung EVO Plus (A2) 1TB SDXC it runs without any problems. I think that later when Sony brings out another DAP more advanced model and where they not have sound issues-problems maybe I will buy a DAP from them, what I unfortunately have to comment is that Sony's support service is terribly bad!.

Ibasso makes nice stuff no doubt, but I'm buying a306 for one reason, very compact- full Android. Actually all the Chinese daps I've tried have been very good. Fiio, Shanling, looto, cayin, hidizs, ibasso and on and on. Ibasso was a bit flaky but they're right up there with everyone with quality gear.

a306 is a specialty dap in a way. I also happen to love their own music player, if only they still had sense me. I've got to admit because of China there's so many great options of daps and iems, dongles seem to be replacing small daps like hiby r3. Do I agree with China's policies, hell no, but I've got to give them credit, they've beat us at our own game and are the manufacturing giant that we once were- the US of course.

Of course the leadership here is whacked so we're heading to third world country status. You can't just print money of no value and not make or sell anything. That and the fact that people want 20 bucks an hour to work at a fast food joint. It's like a stack of dominoes ready to fall.

Lol sorry, I'm old enough to remember a much stronger economy here, but I digress and my point is, we dropped the ball, China took it and I have to give credit where credit is do. And the daps, dongles, and iems that come out of China are top notch, most of them.

Enjoy your gear guys, that 320 is a monster. Literally. 😀

And yes, I do love Sony, I had cassette walkmans in the 70's, discman in the 80's and minidisc in the 90's and tons of Sony daps- network walkmans. Sony is top notch. But I'm not going to say Chinese gear is inferior, because I'd be lying. I think you do get more bang for your buck with brands like fiio, ibasso, hiby. If they had a similar player- small full Android I would have probably purchased it instead. But they seem to be making bigger daps like hiby r5 2 compared to original r5 and more dongles.

All my own thoughts and opinions based on my use with the gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back