New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #2,176 of 4,129
Latest from AccessoryJack:

Thank you for bringing the audio issue with the Sony NW-A306 to our attention. We take such complaints very seriously and will make every effort to resolve this matter as quickly as possible.

We have passed your concern on to our HONG KONG SONY authorized supplier/distributor for follow-up. Please note that it may take some time to receive feedback from them. In the meantime, we recommend that you contact Sony US directly to report the issue as a first step. As an end user, Sony US may be able to expedite the process.

Here is the contact of SONY US

You can live chat on this page:

https://us.esupport.sony.com/support/s/support-contact?language=en_US&category=walkman [us.esupport.sony.com]

I emailed them yesterday, the more people are aware the better.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #2,177 of 4,129
I imported my NW-306 through Accessory Jack to the states about a month ago based on recommendations earlier here. I have a unique issue that I haven’t seen mentioned yet regarding the bass. When I first turn it on and listen through the headphone jack, the bass is weak. When I unplug the headphones, then plug them back in, the bass is there in spades. It fixes the problem every time. This is only necessary when first firing it up after the unit sits idol for an hour or so (I have auto shutdown set to 1 hour). I’ve tried a restart and factory reset. I’ve also tried other cables, but nothing resolves the issue. Oddly enough, I didn’t have this problem in the first couple weeks of owning it.
Try cleaning the plug, in case there is oxide buildup on the plug, or the female socket internal contacts. Oxide will create a high resistance connection, which just inserting the plug can help, by mechanically "wiping" the contact surfaces. That is actually one of the symptoms of oxide build up.
Oxide is invisible, and hard to remove. Deoxit is the only thing that I have found that will remove oxide off contacts properly. It is highly recommended as a cleaner to use on all contacts.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #2,178 of 4,129
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,179 of 4,129
i have to say i suffer hearing loss and recently quite loud and continuous tinnitus in one ear. whos to say how i have it, but i have listened to walkmans (headphones) at loud volume since the age of 7-8, i'm now 42.

i can tell you tinnitus like this is not pleasant. i knew i was listening to music too loud for too long periods of time, but i found it very enjoyable and carried on regardless.

maybe the cap would have prevented this, maybe not, but i dont necessarily see it as a bad thing, like a lot of people on here do. cheers

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,180 of 4,129
i wouldn't mind the volume cap if it didn't affect the sound quality of the dap ...for some reason it just renders the sound lifeless like the dynamics are gone not great

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,181 of 4,129
i have to say i suffer hearing loss and recently quite loud and continuous tinnitus in one ear. whos to say how i have it, but i have listened to walkmans (headphones) at loud volume since the age of 7-8, i'm now 42.

i can tell you tinnitus like this is not pleasant. i knew i was listening to music too loud for too long periods of time, but i found it very enjoyable and carried on regardless.

maybe the cap would have prevented this, maybe not, but i dont necessarily see it as a bad thing, like a lot of people on here do. cheers
Except its useless for that reason. Easy drive IEM's like my Shure SE846 would still blow/damage my ears even on a capped one. All it does is limit the IEM/headphones you can use it with. The LG V30 phones somehow detected the impendence of the connected ear/headphones and auto set on of 3 volume ranges to ensure it didn't go too loud. That was much better solution.

You could fool it with adapters but then that's on the user.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #2,182 of 4,129
i wouldn't mind the volume cap if it didn't affect the sound quality of the dap ...for some reason it just renders the sound lifeless like the dynamics are gone not great
As I mentioned above, the ZX2, A105, ZX507, ZX300 (before region fixing) capping seemed to introduce a veil and take life out of it, but I recently had a UK capped WM1ZM2 then a Japanese WM1AM2 and the WM1ZM2 didn't sound bad/veiled, just lower volume and high-gain removed.

This time I just went straight for the Japanese A307 so not heard a UK A306.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #2,184 of 4,129

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #2,185 of 4,129
how come companies like ibasso etc sell from uk stores and dont have the cap? is it not compulsory?
I was just about to ask the same question. Particularly since some higher end DAP's can output serious power--we're talking in excess of 1W into 32Ω, which is 10-15x what the A306 can output.

The only thing I can think of is that Sony is mostly known as a consumer products company, and many of its less expensive DAP's are positioned a bit more as consumer products. Whereas companies like iBasso, A&K, etc position their products more as niche "prosumer" or "enthusiast" products. So perhaps there are product categories that are exempted? Would love to hear some perspectives from folks who are more informed on the regulatory aspects.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,186 of 4,129
I was just about to ask the same question. Particularly since some higher end DAP's can output serious power--we're talking in excess of 1W into 32Ω, which is 10-15x what the A306 can output.

The only thing I can think of is that Sony is mostly known as a consumer products company, and many of its less expensive DAP's are positioned a bit more as consumer products. Whereas companies like iBasso, A&K, etc position their products more as niche "prosumer" or "enthusiast" products. So perhaps there are product categories that are exempted? Would love to hear some perspectives from folks who are more informed on the regulatory aspects.

Technically, the volume limitations don't apply to "Professional Audio" if you look at the recommendations. Maybe that's the loophole?

"1 Scope
This Recommendation describes the requirements on safe listening devices and systems, especially those for playing and listening to music, to protect people from hearing loss.
As market trends have blurred the distinction between some listening devices and personal audio devices, use-cases are included to ensure this Recommendation applies as widely as reasonably practicable.
NOTE 1 – Some of these use-cases follow the principle of classifying energy sources and prescribing safeguards against those sources as enshrined in [IEC 62368-1].
For the purposes of this Recommendation, the following types of devices are excluded:
  • – two-way communication devices (such as walkie-talkies, etc.);
  • – rehabilitative and medical devices (e.g., hearing aids, FM systems and other assistive listening devices (ALD) approved as part of hearing aid and cochlear implant systems, etc.);
  • – personal sound amplification products/devices;
  • – professional audio equipment and devices.
    NOTE 2 – There are concerns about the exposure to sound from portable game consoles, but this is for future study."

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,187 of 4,129
I'm returning my A306 to Amazon Germany (approved) - I included in the package a print with the last tracking of issue / no issue devices. Another step for awareness hoping that somehow more of them will take the attention of Sony.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,188 of 4,129
how come companies like ibasso etc sell from uk stores and dont have the cap? is it not compulsory?
It's really non sense directive: anyone can buy a quality cheap pure analog headphone amplifier (so keeping the DAC'd audio output from A306) and raising it to his taste / power. Thing is you have to carry an extra device....

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,189 of 4,129
I'm returning my A306 to Amazon Germany (approved) - I included in the package a print with the last tracking of issue / no issue devices. Another step for awareness hoping that somehow more of them will take the attention of Sony.
Hi, I don't blame you. I ordered mine from the UK from first launch straight away. After getting so much great feedback from here and other sites I sent it straight back, never even opened it. Sony asked me why and I told them. I even posted a review on their website which to be fair to them them put it up on there. Such a bloody shame. Still can't work out what the difference is between protecting our 👂 ears against people in their own country.
I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to get a 306 or 307 from Japan direct.

Regards Graham

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #2,190 of 4,129
Its believed that Sony miss-interpret or only set at a level with their own IEM's.

If you think about it the output volume to your ears is down to the DAP/IEM or headphones combined, its meaningless without the two together.

Reading above, it could well be the Consumer vs Pro distinction though how that's catagorised is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back