New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,891 of 4,139
I've been toying with buying some IE600
To be honest the IE600 have some significant tuning deficiencies - they’re quite U shaped and I dislike flavoured headphones (want them as neutral as possible with focus on technicalities). The brightness and bass boost is too much for such an expensive IEM.

The ie200 is much better tuned (and offers some adjustment in bass too) but it too has excessive 12khz + boost and requires a cut of about -6db on the top + comply tips. Do this and it’s surprisingly technical and neutral IEM - almost studio monitor like which is excellent.

Use this tuning.

739B87D6-AEFA-47B0-AA26-D2F2B8985658.jpeg

Alternatively JVC FDX1 is also excellent and might be even more technical in some ways with faster transients and tuning tips offering more friendly, with damped treble and sun bass focus and extremely grain free for a dynamic.

To get that one neutral 10794735-866D-47D8-AB67-E5E244D17CF9.jpegyou need this eq.

The beauty of these dynamics is their deficiencies are broad eq adjustable - they don’t do much else wrong in the mids nor do they have significant valleys and peaks in that require surgical eq that doesn’t usually work too well

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,892 of 4,139
To be honest the IE600 have some significant tuning deficiencies - they’re quite U shaped and I dislike flavoured headphones (want them as neutral as possible with focus on technicalities). The brightness and bass boost is too much for such an expensive IEM.

The ie200 is much better tuned (and offers some adjustment in bass too) but it too has excessive 12khz + boost and requires a cut of about -6db on the top + comply tips. Do this and it’s surprisingly technical and neutral IEM - almost studio monitor like which is excellent.

Use this tuning.

Alternatively JVC FDX1 is also excellent and might be even more technical in some ways with faster transients and tuning tips offering more friendly, with damped treble and sun bass focus and extremely grain free for a dynamic.

To get that one neutral 10794735-866D-47D8-AB67-E5E244D17CF9.jpegyou need this eq.

The beauty of these dynamics is their deficiencies are broad eq adjustable - they don’t do much else wrong in the mids nor do they have significant valleys and peaks in that require surgical eq that doesn’t usually work too well

For now I'm happy swapping mostly between my M9's (5BA) and FD7's (DD), but always curious about others.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,894 of 4,139
So I did lot of comparisons tonight between a306 and zx507 on 3.5mm - many different iems and headphones… and I have to say… zx507 wins out. It has more meaty and focused mids and more bloomy bass - sound better with andromeda and most IEMs - it’s essentially a more Sony sounding Sony player than both the a306 and WM1AM2 - what I mean by this is that it reminds of an improved ZX2 - it’s more organic, characterful and puts you in first seats.. the other players are striving for a more normal and studio like performance but the 507 might be the more interesting one!

So, it’s coming with me to work tomorrow and we shall have a think what the other two players are gonna do…

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #1,895 of 4,139
So I did lot of comparisons tonight between a306 and zx507 on 3.5mm - many different iems and headphones… and I have to say… zx507 wins out. It has more meaty and focused mids and more bloomy bass - sound better with andromeda and most IEMs - it’s essentially a more Sony sounding Sony player than both the a306 and WM1AM2 - what I mean by this is that it reminds of an improved ZX2 - it’s more organic, characterful and puts you in first seats.. the other players are striving for a more normal and studio like performance but the 507 might be the more interesting one!

So, it’s coming with me to work tomorrow and we shall have a think what the other two players are gonna do…

You can send those other 2 Sony's to this poor boy 😀 I will take good care of them on ebay.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,896 of 4,139

For me the A307 is my sweet spot of all based on sound, size, battery, useability.

Yes the WM1AM2 & WM1ZM2 sound technically better but for me just too big/heavy.

If the new ZX700 had been same style/size/weight of the ZX507 with 2.5x battery life, new faster SOC and Android 12 at the £600-700 price range I would have gone for that.

I moved on from my ZX507 due to poor battery not because of its sound quality.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,897 of 4,139
For me the A307 is my sweet spot of all based on sound, size, battery, useability.

Yes the WM1AM2 & WM1ZM2 sound technically better but for me just too big/heavy.

If the new ZX700 had been same style/size/weight of the ZX507 with 2.5x battery life, new faster SOC and Android 12 at the £600-700 price range I would have gone for that.

I moved on from my ZX507 due to poor battery not because of its sound quality.
Battery is poor indeed but it’s no worse than Mojo 2 or other battery dongle thingies. It’s good enough for a day at work and then I just charge it, it meets my requirement.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,898 of 4,139

You like your Andromeda, I've been looking at the new Emerald Sea version with smooth, smaller shell but price has gone a bit too high IMO.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,899 of 4,139
Battery is poor indeed but it’s no worse than Mojo 2 or other battery dongle thingies. It’s good enough for a day at work and then I just charge it, it meets my requirement.
I got rid of original Mojo too for battery amongst other things.

I don't look at DAP's now unless I'm going to get a good +20hrs out of them, hence WM M2's, Hiby R5II and A307 I've had.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,900 of 4,139

Use this tuning.

These are helpful recs to me. Someone who is limited with what I can tolerate in or on my ears anymore. I wonder what the sonic differences are between the ie2000 and 3000? And those jvc look about the perfect size and weight.

Between you, emilsoft and psikey I've got some good choices to mull over.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,901 of 4,139
You like your Andromeda, I've been looking at the new Emerald Sea version with smooth, smaller shell but price has gone a bit too high IMO.
I’d just get 2020 andro - new asking price is too much imo for probably same sound (campfire can be very greedy).

It’s a classic for a reason, and deserves its totl status - I will never get rid of mine (I made the mistake once before)

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,902 of 4,139
These are helpful recs to me. Someone who is limited with what I can tolerate in or on my ears anymore. I wonder what the sonic differences are between the ie2000 and 3000? And those jvc look about the perfect size and weight.

Do you or have you had SE846's? Still most comfortable all day for me with Westone StarTip silicons for my small ears.

Still hold their own against the new boys IMO. Never get rid of mine, had two sets last year 😊 (clear & black).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,904 of 4,139

Ie200 with the eq I posted and it’s foam tips might be comparatively spectacular. I’m shocked how much detail and soundstage accuracy it’s giving me - it’s almost like a music production tool. I will test it more.. eq is must to cut that treble tho

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,905 of 4,139
Do you or have you had SE846's? Still most comfortable all day for me with Westone StarTip silicons for my small ears.

Nope only went up to the 425's ? It's been a long time. After my ie800s breaking I'm not sure I want to spend over 400 on iems. I'm sure they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back