New Sony S545 is gapless for MP3?!
Sep 18, 2009 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ilney

100+ Head-Fier
A guy from ABI claimed that his new S545 was gapless for mp3? Is this true? Can anyone else confirm this?

Wow, the upcoming A840 might be gapless as well. Sony is heading to the right direction
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 21
Someone definitely needs to confirm this.

It's literally the only thing preventing me from buying a Sony.

Unfortunately some people equate having "almost no gap" with true gapless. It doesn't matter how small the gap is. Any gap =/= gapless.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone definitely needs to confirm this.

It's literally the only thing preventing me from buying a Sony.

Unfortunately some people equate having "almost no gap" with true gapless. It doesn't matter how small the gap is. Any gap =/= gapless.

indeed - and i cannot understand that after more than 10 years of mp3 players, companies who claim to have great sounding players, be engineered for discerning listeners, and who target audiophiles, ignore gapless.

or like cowon, who still maintain headphone outs which cannot put out bass into low ohm phones. if sony could do this (real gapless) for non-sonic stage walkmans, they will get purchase from many people like me again.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 21
Although it is true that Sony has yet to use gapless, I love the sounds quality of the players.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got one to try out against my A728. How can I tell if it's "gapless".

Cue up a live album and see if there is a short pause between tracks...

-Nylan

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got one to try out against my A728. How can I tell if it's "gapless".

Err, can you load the 2nd and 3rd movements or Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto? Bethoveen 6th or 9th? Stravinsky's Firebird?
New A-Series Walkman - A840 - Walkman A Series - abi>>forums
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABI, h1a8
The new S series is gapless. That's right! I have a new S545 and it's gapless for mp3 (I should have waited for this Aseries though lol). But one warning. Some songs the timing is off by a microsecond but still far better than the previous non gapless Sony players. Meaning, the next song would play a microsecond too early for some songs, but certainly no gaps whatsoever. So make sure you encode your music correctly. I haven't tested AAC or wma yet though.

With that said, I'm sure the A series will be gapless too.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 21
So,I have an iPod Touch 1G... they claim gapless, however there is a small gap...

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 21
I think maybe it is gapless, or least the gap is much smaller than the A728. I just played the gap between Beethoven's 6th, 3rd and 4th movement. On the A728, there's a short gap. On the S545, there is no noticeable gap in time, however the music does not seem to be smoothly joined. Could be a recording mismatch. One thing's for sure, though - if there is a gap, it's much smaller than the A728 and barely noticeable.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So,I have an iPod Touch 1G... they claim gapless, however there is a small gap...

What software do you use to load your songs out of curiosity?

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 21
my ipods are all gapless (except the shuffle). if you have downloaded your songs from a sketchy source or ripped them improperly, itunes cannot detect where to do its magic, but anything bought from itunes, or ripped from cd's (if they are not scratched) should be 100% gapless.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 21
My experience is:

Albums sync'd from itunes are gapless. You can see itunes "gathering gapless information" when you add music to your library.

However, using winamp to sync results in gapless playback, but with a small "pop" or "click" in between tracks. It might not be silence but just a playback error. Evidently winamp doesn't apply gapless information for the ipod to use properly.

This was tested using my ipod nano 3g.

Anyway I'm off topic. Let us know if you get to test this.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Uploading with iTunes, any albums that were gapless stayed that way on my iPod(s), at least.
And about time more companies start introducing gapless players, it seemed like forever for firmware writers to figure this problem out.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although it is true that Sony has yet to use gapless, I love the sounds quality of the players.

Gapless is maybe not that needed by most users, but as a classical music listener it's simply a must. That's what made me stick to a Cowon S9 (together with the losless file format support).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back