New Sony S545 is gapless for MP3?!
Sep 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #17 of 21
And would you enlighten us how it is related to the topic?

Anyway. it seems that Sony tries to achieves gapless by playing the next track a few mirco-seconds ealier. I hope they can come up with a better algorithm on their next DAPs.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What software do you use to load your songs out of curiosity?

I use iTunes. It is very strange, because before I couldn't detect a gap... but with the Senn HD 485 there is a gap... and also since I got those headphones, I don't listen to the Touch as it sounds so bad.

I should go out to the car to get the Touch back in for a second try... I have gotten curious about these gaps. Not having gapless is one of the few flaws of my SONY s639

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And would you enlighten us how it is related to the topic?

Anyway. it seems that Sony tries to achieves gapless by playing the next track a few mirco-seconds ealier. I hope they can come up with a better algorithm on their next DAPs.

It's simple: Sony players are not gapless for any codec (they don't even try) unless you get the player in Japan and use ATRAC (or just use WAV, but clearly you get no tagging with WAV). It's that simple. It's been that way for years. I'm amazed these threads keep popping up time and time again.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's simple: Sony players are not gapless for any codec (they don't even try) unless you get the player in Japan and use ATRAC (or just use WAV, but clearly you get no tagging with WAV). It's that simple. It's been that way for years. I'm amazed these threads keep popping up time and time again.

There's nothing wrong with being hopeful for gapless support. It's a mandatory and necessary feature that's sadly missing from 90% of all players. Not having gapless means many of my albums are unlistenable.

So when there's a possibility of a nice player supporting gapless, I think it deserves at least one thread. Maybe two.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 21
With Sony players, it's been beaten to death here and elsewhere. Long story short, people disliked earlier versions of SonicStage and the proprietary format ATRAC, Sony took its knocks, and rolled up the carpet on it. With that disappearance and largely the loss of ATRAC, the players everywhere (but Japan until the X) got drag and drop and simplicity - basically to soothe the masses, they sacrificed gapless. It's really that simple.

I don't see Sony implementing gapless outside of Japan. It's why my X is imported from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back