SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,216 of 2,686
Hi,

I will be at end of mach in Japan - Tokyo!
Thinking about to buy the ZX707, but I already own the ZX507.
I don't know if it is really worth the upgrade?
The compact design ZX507 is just perfect, the ZX707 looks more like a brick. lol
What about sound quality, it is really that better? (using Fiio FH7 IEMs)

BR

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,217 of 2,686
Hi,

The compact design ZX507 is just perfect, the ZX707 looks more like a brick. lol

BR
I also used to own the ZX507, and I loved it it was a very good device and very compact, but in the end I decided to upgrade to the ZX-707 because of the poor battery life.

The ZX707 is indeed bigger but to me is a much better DAP than my old ZX-507, it’s got better battery life, the internals have been upgraded and the OS feels much snappier and better to use than Android 9.0, and sound wise to me it sounds richer than the ZX-507.

In conclusion to me the ZX-707 was an upgrade over the ZX-507, you really can’t go wrong with it, if your going to be in Japan you may as well check out some of the demo units and play with it. You will probably love it and won’t mind the larger size.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,218 of 2,686
Hi,

BR
I own the ZX507, and just recently purchased the ZX707 from Japan. I'll post a mini comparison over the weekend when I have more time with it. Design wise, 707 is stunning. but I like the form factor of the 507 as it's more pocketable for travel. More to come .. I'll also compare to a flagship DAC to highlight notable differences.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,219 of 2,686
I also used to owned the ZX507, and I loved it it was a very good device and very compact, but I ended up upgrading to the ZX-707 because of the poor battery life.

The ZX707 is bigger but to me is much better than my old ZX-507, it’s got a much better battery life, the internals have been upgraded and the OS feels much snappier and better to use than Android 9.0, and sound wise to me it sounds richer than the ZX-507.

In conclusion to me the ZX-707 was very much an upgrade over the ZX-507, you really can’t go wrong with it, if your going to be in Japan you may as well check out some of the demo units and play with it. You probably will love it and won’t mind the larger size.
Hi,
Thanks for your personal input!
Yeah, I think it is a no brainer to buy the ZX707, just because the Yen is so weak right now! :D
Battery life of my ZX507 is really very poor, after 2-3 hours offline Tidal listening I have to charge it again, but one good thing that the charging speed is very fast with 15W power supply.
Also I don't have to bother about missing High Gain and so on!

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,220 of 2,686
I love the form factor of the ZX507 and ZX300 as well.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,221 of 2,686
Hi,
Thanks for your personal input!
Yeah, I think it is a no brainer to buy the ZX707, just because the Yen is so weak right now! :D
Battery life of my ZX507 is really very poor, after 2-3 hours offline Tidal listening I have to charge it again, but one good thing that the charging speed is very fast with 15W power supply.
Also I don't have to bother about missing High Gain and so on!
Well thanks to the SVP and Credit Suisse, this might change...
1678976007186.png

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,222 of 2,686
Apple Music has Lossless so yes it is Hi-Res. It’s what I’m using on my Zx707 and other DAPs as well.
An update to my own comment. I just realized today that there is a new Apple Music Preview app in the Microsoft Store that supports Lossless. Oh and it has dark mode too. Goodbye crappy iTunes on Windows lol !

1678979792529.png

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #1,223 of 2,686
I also have to say that i use 990kbps LDAC most of the time without absolutely no issues. On large Trains Stations with 16 Tracks and thounds of people, i can hear skips that appear from time ot time, but other than that, i have no issues.

My WiFi at home is set at 5GHz though. 2.4GHz does affect bluetooth performance especially with devices that have a very low sending strengh (which is why the FiiO BTA30 exists) but as 2.4GHz WiFi is slower than my network connection, i don't use it.
Thanks to all for the excellent feedback I received regarding skips. I am going to try to find the culprit... The good thing is that I can use wires if I want perfect playback... I do love my 707...

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #1,224 of 2,686
An update to my own comment. I just realized today that there is a new Apple Music Preview app in the Microsoft Store that supports Lossless. Oh and it has dark mode too. Goodbye crappy iTunes on Windows lol !

1678979792529.png
Wow, I have waited for this day for a looooong time, does it have exclusive mode too?

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,225 of 2,686
Wow, I have waited for this day for a looooong time, does it have exclusive mode too?
Hehe me too :)
I’m afraid there’s no exclusive mode at the moment so no bit-perfect audio. But hey one step ahead in the right direction ! UI is slick and much easier to operate compared to the decades old iTunes app.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,226 of 2,686
Just tried the following combo:
ZX707 + RNHP amp + AA Hi-X65
With balanced out from 707 to RNHP amp XLR in
ZX707 output was Hi-gain and vol @ 74/120; DSD remastering turned on

The reason for this trial is that the X65 when used with ZX707 on "direct sound" mode sounds relatively thinner, less dense, less bass and less texture / transient! This to me defeats my reason of buying the ZX707, as I'm after the so-called Sony sound "signature" - which to my ears is about good tonal balance, good dynamics (esp. transients), and musical! Yesterday I paired the 707 with CEntrance Ampersand with DSD remastering on and there came a very surprised "analog" sound! So today I use the RNHP to further verify and confirmed as reported above! The DSD remastering literally saved the X65 to and "transformed" its such sound signature and now I'm keeping it ..

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,227 of 2,686
Hehe me too :)
I’m afraid there’s no exclusive mode at the moment so no bit-perfect audio. But hey one step ahead in the right direction ! UI is slick and much easier to operate compared to the decades old iTunes app.
yep, I just downloaded the app, it is still in beta version but it is a sign that Apple is developing Apple Music on Windows. In setting we already have music quality 24-bit/192Khz but there is no exclusive mode likes Tidal or Foobar, I think it will appear soon.

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,228 of 2,686
Hi,

BR
By all means go to e-earphone at akihabara. There you can bring your dap and compare with the 707.
If you decide to buy it you can even sell your current 507, just be sure to bring the box and everything else you may still have.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,229 of 2,686
Don't forget to get the EP-NI1000 with them. They have been released afterwards an so are not shipped with the Earphone
Hey Thanks for this recommendation, I purchased these tips for my M7 and they are much nicer than the stock ones. I ended up buying an extra pair to have them as replacement for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back