SONY NW-ZX500
May 21, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #7,295 of 8,639
Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #7,298 of 8,639
Today I plugged my ZX507 into the my Macbook Air usb-c charger. Not sure if its the 96w, 61w or 30w charger. In any case in charged quicker than anything else I've ever plugged it into. My understanding is the ZX507 will draw whatever it needs or can and I won't do damage to the device. Or is this incorrect and I can damage the device? Could someone please advise me. Thanks!

May 27, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #7,299 of 8,639
Today I plugged my ZX507 into the my Macbook Air usb-c charger. Not sure if its the 96w, 61w or 30w charger. In any case in charged quicker than anything else I've ever plugged it into. My understanding is the ZX507 will draw whatever it needs or can and I won't do damage to the device. Or is this incorrect and I can damage the device? Could someone please advise me. Thanks!
It wont damage your device. It never draws more than it can take. That’s how electronics work.

May 27, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #7,300 of 8,639
Just ensure that your zx507 does not run extremely hot when charging. Excessive Heat will reduce the lifespan of the battery. It is possible to make the Sony ZX507 go into overheat shutdown, e.g. Leaving the LCD screen running while charging in summer heat/poor ventilation.

Just like you can impact your smartphone battery life span if you play intensive games while charging the phone. High heat from the mobile cpu/gpu/display combined with heat from the charging isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #7,301 of 8,639
okay.. anyone have experience with random crashes? I was listening on the Walkman app and partway into a song it just stopped playing, the screen went black, and I heard a slight pop in the single ended output as the player shut off. It turned on/booted again just fine, but it's kinda inconvenient lol. The battery is at 91% with battery saver on and Auto power off at 1 hour, but I had just selected an album to listen to so it hadn't been an hour. Is this just what Android users deal with?

May 28, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #7,302 of 8,639
okay.. anyone have experience with random crashes? I was listening on the Walkman app and partway into a song it just stopped playing, the screen went black, and I heard a slight pop in the single ended output as the player shut off. It turned on/booted again just fine, but it's kinda inconvenient lol. The battery is at 91% with battery saver on and Auto power off at 1 hour, but I had just selected an album to listen to so it hadn't been an hour. Is this just what Android users deal with?
No, definitely not an average Android issue. Had my zx507 for a year now with not a single software crash.

May 30, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #7,304 of 8,639
Have you checked if your card has throttling, auto-sleep etc "features" enabled? Also have you experimented with different memory block sizes. Different buffer sizes sound different for me on PC.

Found a relevant thread in another forum (there was one more relating to SD Card throttling, I'll share when I find it) : https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214532

Last but not the least, have you experimented different types of data copy methods to the SD card (if you're copying from PC).
I tried playing music files directly from the ZX507 internal storage without any microsd card attached for about 1 hour. I think that the sound is way overpowering. Bass felts too strong(impact wise) for comfort and this is on a Balanced Armature IER-M9 which typically don't have impactful bass.

My guess is that Sony has already tuned and compensated the ZX507 sound signature with the typical microsd power draw in mind, so if you removed the microsd, the sound becomes overcompensated.

I still have two more microsd cards lying around:
Samsung Evo 32GB
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB (my dashcam)

Going to compare them against the lexar and adata to access sound quality impact between these card.

In my opinon, the lexar 633x 512GB sound quality is really bad. It seems to cause the zx507 to sound more limp and hazy. I really can't recommend anyone using this microsd card for their zx507 if seeking good sound quality matters to you.

May 31, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #7,305 of 8,639
Sept 2022 based on the history
Any idea on the successor to the 1z? I love my zx507 but I will upgrade when they come up with a new gen 1z. I don’t trust the sound signature I would get with the newer top offerings from Shanling, iBasso, Cayin… the only one that seems to have a sound like Sony is Luxury&Precision LP6 with an R2R dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back