SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 23, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #7,186 of 8,639
Does anyone know if it is possible to rename the two ‘Custom’ EQ settings?

I have Sony Z7M2 and M9 headphones that need very different EQ settings.
Maybe should run Wavelet app which uses the AutoEQ parameters? In Wavelet use legacy mode and select the headphone or iem you're using at that time.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #7,188 of 8,639
The fringe case for me that made me ask is I’ll often just go All Tracks -> shuffle while I’m in bed with IEMs in. So with thousands of tracks I’d rather a timed shutdown to save battery life/my ears in case I fall asleep while listening anyway. I also like listening as soon as I wake up, and I want to preserve overall battery health by not having it plugged in 24/7.. oh well. Thanks for the ideas

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #7,189 of 8,639
The fringe case for me that made me ask is I’ll often just go All Tracks -> shuffle while I’m in bed with IEMs in. So with thousands of tracks I’d rather a timed shutdown to save battery life/my ears in case I fall asleep while listening anyway. I also like listening as soon as I wake up, and I want to preserve overall battery health by not having it plugged in 24/7.. oh well. Thanks for the ideas
I thought what I suggested was self explanatory...

What I wrote before:
There are android audio players with built-in sleep timer. A couple free (no ads) ones from Google Playstore are Musicolet and VLC. With VLC you have to create a playlist and then you can activate a sleep timer on that playlist. If you really want to stay full Sony, then you can download and install a hacked phone version of Sony Music App which has sleep timer function here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ic-9-4-8-a-0-13-updated-9-march-2021.2728110/ . I installed the hacked Sony Music App and tested the sleep timer function, it does work. I did not fully test in conjunction with auto-shutoff though.

Also as @DJ Core already mentioned you also need to go to settings > battery > auto power off and set the auto-shutoff timer there as well.
The hacked Sony Music app from xda-developers.com allows you to select songs mode, so that would be all thousands of songs and has shuffle playback. It also has a sleep timer from 15 minutes to 2 hours. Let's say you set 1 hour sleep timer, then in 1 hour the playback stops.

The other thing you need to do is go to zx507 settings > battery > auto power off and select from 1, 3, 6 or 12 hours. What this does is automatically power off the zx507 when the screen is off and no operation is performed. Meaning the screen is off and music is not playing or no button presses occur then the player will power off.

So if you play shuffle for 1 hour sleep timer and you have 1 hour auto power off set, the player should play music for 1 hour and if the screen is off and no further button presses or music playing then the player should power off an hour later. Hope that helps.

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,190 of 8,639
There’s lots of basic features missing on this device. If Sony is listening damit give us more than two custom EQs. Each profile probably takes up a few kb of space and the easiest thing to implement.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #7,192 of 8,639
I thought what I suggested was self explanatory...

What I wrote before:

The hacked Sony Music app from xda-developers.com allows you to select songs mode, so that would be all thousands of songs and has shuffle playback. It also has a sleep timer from 15 minutes to 2 hours. Let's say you set 1 hour sleep timer, then in 1 hour the playback stops.

The other thing you need to do is go to zx507 settings > battery > auto power off and select from 1, 3, 6 or 12 hours. What this does is automatically power off the zx507 when the screen is off and no operation is performed. Meaning the screen is off and music is not playing or no button presses occur then the player will power off.

So if you play shuffle for 1 hour sleep timer and you have 1 hour auto power off set, the player should play music for 1 hour and if the screen is off and no further button presses or music playing then the player should power off an hour later. Hope that helps.
I saw your post, and it is a viable suggestion. Thank you. It's just a bit involved for a simple feature, and I was replying to other suggestions and clarifying my use case. I do know about power settings and automatically powering off, but that wouldn't work in the use case I clarified unless I install the hacked app you suggested. That's just a bit more work that I'm willing to do, I just use an NW-A55 if necessary.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #7,193 of 8,639
Does anyone know if it is possible to rename the two ‘Custom’ EQ settings?

I have Sony Z7M2 and M9 headphones that need very different EQ settings.
there are saved audio settings 1, 2, 3.
so that u can make actually 6 custom EQ settings. + 3 distinct dsp settings.
I use 1 and 2. (1st for z5, 2nd for 1Am2)
by the way, if u 've never resaved those saved audio settings u can enable one of them, and it will give special sound where any dsp change is strongly discounted. (in other words sound wound be irresponsive to changes in dsp and eq).
to turn things back to normal, just click reset audio adjustment settings in walkman app.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7,194 of 8,639
I saw your post, and it is a viable suggestion. Thank you. It's just a bit involved for a simple feature, and I was replying to other suggestions and clarifying my use case. I do know about power settings and automatically powering off, but that wouldn't work in the use case I clarified unless I install the hacked app you suggested. That's just a bit more work that I'm willing to do, I just use an NW-A55 if necessary.
Glad you found a solution that works for you, that's all that matters.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #7,195 of 8,639
You can go from Chinese to International but not the opposite.

I just did this on the latest firmware. Went from Chinese to International and I must say, on the latest firmware, international sounds way better than Chinese. I love the Spacious sound 3D space and resolution (Hi-Gain, Hi-Res streaming off)I set up IER M9 as my IEM profile but in reality, I use the UM MEST and The new Sennheiser IE300. I believe Sony has perfected this DAP soundwise. Hope they finally add DAC mode and BT receive and I'll be set.
I felt that Sony not just perfected the DAP sound wise but also somewhat eliminated the need to seek the most high resolution audio files for very highly enjoyable music listening.

As I mentioned before, I find every audio file regardless of bitrate and sampling rate to sound really well rendered by the Sony Walkman sound processing.

With this firmware, I don’t find lossy audio files to sound that much worse than high res lossless audio files.
Yes there is still subtle graininess differences between true high resolution audio files and lossy audio files but what Sony has done is close the gap alot more that even 128kbps mp3 is also detailed enough to be very enjoyable to listen to.

I would describe the sound I am hearing from my IER-M9 as expansive surround, non-fatiguing, highly detailed with very accurate tonality and timbre. I would say that Sony has perfected the sound signature of the ZX507 to suit long listening sessions.

Also this firmware has excellent loudness control to a certain extent. Once you set a volume level suitable to your ears, you don’t have to bother about adjusting the volume anymore to compensate for loudness differences between different albums.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #7,196 of 8,639
You can go from Chinese to International but not the opposite.
When the next update comes out you should be able to go back to Chinese if you prefer.

The update mechanism appears to check if the update file passed to the program was built after the currently running version (I think there's a metadata file that's read from the encrypted blob file). Which is why it has been possible to side-grade in some cases to different regions.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #7,197 of 8,639
I felt that Sony not just perfected the DAP sound wise but also somewhat eliminated the need to seek the most high resolution audio files for very enjoyable highly music listening.

As I mentioned before, I find every audio file regardless of bitrate and sampling rate to sound really well rendered by the Sony Walkman sound processing.

With this firmware, I don’t find lossy audio files to sound that much worse than high res lossless audio files.
Yes there is still subtle graininess differences between true high resolution audio files and lossy audio files but what Sony has done is close the gap alot more that even 128kbps mp3 is also detailed enough to be very enjoyable to listen to.

I would describe the sound I am hearing from my IER-M9 as expansive surround, non-fatiguing, highly detailed with very accurate tonality and timbre. I would say that Sony has perfected the sound signature of the ZX507 to suit long listening sessions.

Also this firmware has excellent loudness control to a certain extent. Once you set a volume level suitable to your ears, you don’t have to bother about adjusting the volume anymore to compensate for loudness differences between different albums.
Just to add listening to the Shure 846 and I’ve never heard them so spacious and expansive. It sounds like a totally different iem. It’s not the just the soundstage per se, it’s also the imaging and the way sounds are layered. They’ve really achieved something special here.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #7,198 of 8,639
Just to add listening to the Shure 846 and I’ve never heard them so spacious and expansive. It sounds like a totally different iem. It’s not the just the soundstage per se, it’s also the imaging and the way sounds are layered. They’ve really achieved something special here.
I agree. From memory, I actually believe it now sounds closer to the DMP-Z1. Amazing sound in something so small :) really enjoying it.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #7,199 of 8,639
I agree. From memory, I actually believe it now sounds closer to the DMP-Z1. Amazing sound in something so small :) really enjoying it.
Yeah...have never heard DMP-Z1, but agree the ZX-507 sounds awesome (to me, "mature" works nicely to describe what we have now); the 4.4mm out especially. I planned to sell mine soon to partially fund a new IEM purchase, but am having some misgivings even though I have a brand new WM1A, and I normally shy away form anything approaching a collection. I tend to sell/trade and move along the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back