SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,722 of 8,639
Via Amazon.co.jp you get all fees/duties/delivery all up front and cost £578 vs £619 on Amazon.co.uk.
Thanks, so uncapped for less - and in your case very fast delivery indeed:beyersmile:

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,724 of 8,639
Thanks, so uncapped for less - and in your case very fast delivery indeed:beyersmile:
I know, mad. It was at £650 equivalent but I waited and price dropped slightly and exchange rate improved a bit and soon as it went under £600 I couldn't resist any longer.

Its shocking how bad the volume cap on the UK one is vs the Japanese (and no high gain either!).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #3,725 of 8,639
Been comparing a single James Taylor track in Walkman player and in Tidal in standard & upscalled back and forth.

All sound great but with my K10U/Litz silver balanced cable I can hear that MQA bitperfect/MQA perfect does sound best in the Walkman app, and then there is a slight drop with Tidal App at 32/192 which is a noticeable improvement over 16/48.

So for me there is a slight drop compared to the Walkman app but not sure if down to App itself or due to Walkman app doing bitperfect.

A slight veil, lack of clarity with Tidal app compared to Walkman app with same track.

Bringing in the Hiby R3 Pro doing its full MQA my view is:

ZX507 =* R3Pro > ZX507 32/192 > ZX507 16/48

Both Hiby's player on R3Pro and the Walkman app on ZX507 look to be doing full MQA rendering as both show track at 24/192 and Hiby even shows its MQA Studio quality.

* Different signature and both excellent.

I've also now listened over 3.5mm and based on memory to the A105 I say its better on the ZX507. Can't understand why some reviews say 3.5mm is average. Not to my ears.

Not just tidal app having this veil.

You should try other offline music apps: Neutron, Fiio music, Hiby Music, Foobar2k, USB Audio App Pro and etc..

All of them sounded different from each other but ultimately all of them still sounded less high resolution and with more congested soundstage compared to the Walkman app.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,727 of 8,639
Not just tidal app having this veil.

You should try other offline music apps: Neutron, Fiio music, Hiby Music, Foobar2k, USB Audio App Pro and etc..

All of them sounded different from each other but ultimately all of them still sounded less high resolution and with more congested soundstage compared to the Walkman app.

Tidal does sound better on the Hiby R3Pro, I'm in no doubt.

So Sony has improved streaming doing the 32/192 change but still not as good as full bitperfect MQA the Hiby does.

For your own tracks in the native players both DAP's stunning and down to sound sig preferences.

Playing about with both DAP's comparing tracks with both fully charged, the Sony now at 91% and Hiby at 95%.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #3,730 of 8,639
I think 32/192 upsampling still will improve other lower resolution streaming content like YouTube or Apple Music or Spotify.

Can you compare these normal resolution streaming apps? How does the hiby compare to Sony upsampling for these apps.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,731 of 8,639
Agreed. I’m still hoping Sony eventually figures out how to deliver bit-perfect audio from 3rd-party apps rather than this 192/32 upscaling.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3,732 of 8,639
I think 32/192 upsampling still will improve other lower resolution streaming content like YouTube or Apple Music or Spotify.

Can you compare these normal resolution streaming apps? How does the hiby compare to Sony upsampling for these apps.

I'm not cluttering up with Apps other than Tidal. Its clear to me already the Walkman app is perfection and others are a lesser scaled compromise (with your comments too).

The Hiby has crashed a few times live streaming Tidal in the week I've had it, while no issues at all with the ZX507 today.

Will be keeping both anyway with the Hiby being so cheap. Its not much more than a Dragonfly Red DAC! (had Red & Cobalt).

With the Hiby being a bit brighter the Sony will be less straining for extended listening.

One things certain, if you need top sound quality on a tight budget and Tidal/Qobuz live streaming is good enough give the R3Pro a serious looking at.

If you want a player of prestige, fantastic looks and great feel in hand coupled with excellent SQ (especially own files) then the ZX507. Not forgetting Sony signature.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,733 of 8,639
Agree with this as well. But for me, I would rather use my large-screen iPhone for those lower-quality sources; it’s just a more enjoyable experience for casual listening and discovery. But DAPs and external DAC/Amps for me should offer a better hi-res experience than my phone for streaming. For local music, the walkman music app is very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back