SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #301 of 8,639
Sony products are known to stand the test of time even their vaio laptops when it was their brand which I have 3 and still use with no hardware issues except internal hard drive which is not manufactured by them.
Although Sony uses most of their components, in their dap market it’s their batteries that are rendering their walkmans useless. I wish they would allow users to replace batteries that are not only easily available but also easy to access.
Heck, I love the WM series walkmans, their UI is just impeccable but in the long run I don’t think the batteries will hold enough charge to make it portable anymore and I’m saying 10 years from now. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I do like and want to keep what I own.

In 10 years from now you may not even be alive. Most probably you will want to upgrade to new tech anyway in few years. I think you worry yoo much

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #302 of 8,639
Yes, but how easy is it do many yourself.

In 3 years ZX500 will be obsolete and useless as ZX700 will have the newer android system.

Meanwhile those who spent $800 dollars now can sell the ZX500 for $300 in 3 years for some newer caps and android system.

Sony abandoning there android ZX2 without any update but still it’s for sale on their official site and bringing out a ZX500 makes no sense.

sony made a mistake using texas instrument system on a chip for ZX2 which was discontinued by them quickly, texas instrument didn't provide the necessary drivers for their chips, thus, it's not possible for android firmware update.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #303 of 8,639
Like Paul from PS Audio says a lot on his videos, anyone can buy an ESS or AK chip for as low as cents, but the implementation and what is done on the output stage is where the difference comes. So numbers only does not tell the whole picture like the Chinese/Korean brands use to make (I had a couple Fiio's before and now have an A&K, so I have an idea on what I am talking).

I really praise Sony for their R&D and implementation, they do spend time thinking on how everything should be implemented and if they don't find an "of the shelf" solution they develop their own just to make it as they pretended, that's really cool.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #304 of 8,639
Sony products are known to stand the test of time even their vaio laptops when it was their brand which I have 3 and still use with no hardware issues except internal hard drive which is not manufactured by them.
Although Sony uses most of their components, in their dap market it’s their batteries that are rendering their walkmans useless. I wish they would allow users to replace batteries that are not only easily available but also easy to access.
Heck, I love the WM series walkmans, their UI is just impeccable but in the long run I don’t think the batteries will hold enough charge to make it portable anymore and I’m saying 10 years from now. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I do like and want to keep what I own.

Yeah after 2013 Sony and most other manufacturers stopped releasing products with user replaceable batteries. The reason being that people were holding onto their portable devices longer. It was starting to impact sales especially for niche items like DAP's. Manufacturers need turnover to be able to keep selling these niche products. Sony has gone so far as to recommend owners replace their units once the battery life drops 50% below the stated spec. I had to do this with my Sony A17 halfway through my second year of ownership because the battery life had dropped by more than half. Luckily I got a free 2nd year of warranty when I bought my unit new. So I went through 2 A17's in roughly 4 years. Not what Sony wants and now you can't get an extended warranty from most manufacturers these days either.

Again this change is why I won't spend alot of money on a DAP. It won't pay for itself before the battery dies or the battery life gets so low as to be useless. I like the fact DAP's can now be used as USB DAC's so at least you can still use it as a computer DAC once the battery dies hopefully.

To me it makes more sense to buy a $300 to $400 DAP and a nice desktop DAC/Amp since your home will be the best place to listen to high quality audio. When I retire in a couple of years we plan to sell our house and my business and get a condo and do some traveling. So I will sell my home theatre system, not practical for a condo, get a nice surround sound soundbar for movies. Buy a really nice desktop DAC/Amp to replace my Sony home theater receiver. Then rotate out my DAP's every couple of years. For me a much more practical thing to do then blow tons of dough on expensive DAP's. A desktop DAC/Amp will last alot longer than an expensive DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #305 of 8,639
Yeah after 2013 Sony and most other manufacturers stopped releasing products with user replaceable batteries. The reason being that people were holding onto their portable devices longer. It was starting to impact sales especially for niche items like DAP's. Manufacturers need turnover to be able to keep selling these niche products. Sony has gone so far as to recommend owners replace their units once the battery life drops 50% below the stated spec. I had to do this with my Sony A17 halfway through my second year of ownership because the battery life had dropped by more than half. Luckily I got a free 2nd year of warranty when I bought my unit new. So I went through 2 A17's in roughly 4 years. Not what Sony wants and now you can't get an extended warranty from most manufacturers these days either.

Again this change is why I won't spend alot of money on a DAP. It won't pay for itself before the battery dies or the battery life gets so low as to be useless. I like the fact DAP's can now be used as USB DAC's so at least you can still use it as a computer DAC once the battery dies hopefully.

To me it makes more sense to buy a $300 to $400 DAP and a nice desktop DAC/Amp since your home will be the best place to listen to high quality audio. When I retire in a couple of years we plan to sell our house and my business and get a condo and do some traveling. So I will sell my home theatre system, not practical for a condo, get a nice surround sound soundbar for movies. Buy a really nice desktop DAC/Amp to replace my Sony home theater receiver. Then rotate out my DAP's every couple of years. For me a much more practical thing to do then blow tons of dough on expensive DAP's. A desktop DAC/Amp will last alot longer than an expensive DAP.
Yep, I agree with all of that.

The problem is compounded when the DAP uses Android because then you enter Android Update Limbo Land as alluded to above in the case of ZX2 and you have another source of deliberate obsolescence.

The manufacturers think they are grooming a market of loyal upgraders with these tactics. They will get a fair few for sure but they will create a much larger market of disillusioned customers who will never buy that brand again.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #306 of 8,639
so do we have any sonic impressions of zx500 , and how it stacks next to wm1a ?

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #307 of 8,639
so do we have any sonic impressions of zx500 , and how it stacks next to wm1a ?

I guess not yet since it will be out in November...

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #308 of 8,639
Yep, I agree with all of that.

The problem is compounded when the DAP uses Android because then you enter Android Update Limbo Land as alluded to above in the case of ZX2 and you have another source of deliberate obsolescence.

The manufacturers think they are grooming a market of loyal upgraders with these tactics. They will get a fair few for sure but they will create a much larger market of disillusioned customers who will never buy that brand again.

Yes Android adoption is a consideration for DAP choices for sure. At least Shanling has confirmed they will still be making Linux based DAP's for the foreseeable future. Even though they just released their first Android DAP in the M6. As long as they keep making micro DAP's like the M0 Android isn't an option. So I am still holding out hope for the A55 and maybe the Shanling M2X coming here. There is a possibility of a price drop on the Shanling M5S once the M6 is release as the suggested MSRP difference between the two isn't that big. So still a handful of Linux based DAP's to choose from.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #309 of 8,639
It's basically a phone that take or place calls. Why don't they just make it a phone and get it over with?
I don't want to carry both a phone for calls and an almost-phone for my MP3s.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #310 of 8,639
It's basically a phone that take or place calls. Why don't they just make it a phone and get it over with?
I don't want to carry both a phone for calls and an almost-phone for my MP3s.

You can make phone calls through Skype and WiFi. To turn it into 'phone' you need to use WiFI or buy 4g SIM router and pair DAP with mobile router, then you can call through Skype using internet.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #311 of 8,639
I guess not yet since it will be out in November...
I will be in Japan in November and December, so I will definitely be trying this out at E-Earphone and/or Yodobashi.

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #313 of 8,639
I reckon for the zx507 this is the official thread

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #315 of 8,639
OhhhhhI am getting this. Yay!!!

This vs dx160 hmmm and what about m11 pro ? That just got out.

Dang so many daps and all released at same time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back