SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 14, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #4,246 of 15,677
Can the new Sony DAPs read WAV metadata? My ZX2 can't and it's a bit of a nuisance.
Yes It does read some of my wav file’s metadata. As long as it’s not in some Chinese formatting which might end up with gibberish text.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #4,247 of 15,677
Due to the combined effects of capacitor aging, debloating android and industrial microSD card switch, I am finding that I am listening to my WM1AM2 on a lower volume levels than what I have been listening when I got the Walkman brand new.

The acceptable listening volume when brand new was about 70 to 75 on high gain

Now I am finding 56 to 60 on high gain to be acceptable listening volume for my ier-M9

Music dynamics seems to be stronger and the background seems much blacker with improved clarity and smoothness thus I don’t find the need to turn up volume in order to hear more details in my music, lower volume already allows for that.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,249 of 15,677
My spares finally arrived and collected from 313.
PXL_20220514_133415540.jpg

I never had bad experience so far with Sony SG support before. I had them replace lemons before such as Bravia, PSP and etc.

PXL_20220514_133521846.jpg

These micro SD trays looks like the weakest link to the otherwise solidly built Walkman.

May 14, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #4,250 of 15,677
Someone here bought a faulty player under warranty costing thousands of dollars, it should be replaced immediately or if none are available their money refunded, they shouldn't have to chase around trying to get it sorted.
These are rather high expectations. He bought at a shop. And the shop is his contractor, not the Sony company.
I do not defend the behaviour of the shop. But, you already said it... "should", not "must".

May 14, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #4,251 of 15,677
Has anyone tried connecting a USB-C Hub + Usb PD with Ethernet Jack? Does Internet run through the Ethernet jack for the walkman? That should help with streaming music.

May 14, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #4,252 of 15,677
My spares finally arrived and collected from 313.

I never had bad experience so far with Sony SG support before. I had them replace lemons before such as Bravia, PSP and etc.

These micro SD trays looks like the weakest link to the otherwise solidly built Walkman.
That is the one thing why I love Sony, always have parts available.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #4,253 of 15,677
That is the one thing why I love Sony, always have parts available. Unlike some Chinese brands that are posing to be Luxury with expensive products but customer services and supports is down right piss poor, Cayin is one example

Vince, we all love you and I consider you to be a good friend, but don't you think it's a bit too much after you praised N8ii as the best DAP available on the market now in your review on head-fi and wrote dozens of super positive posts about it in N8ii thread, and now after they told you that warranty will be voided if you damage the DAP while modding it (hardware or software) and they will not service it (because warranty is voided due to you damaging it), so you're writing everywhere on Head-fi that Cayin is the worst company? Common, bud. I understand, you are upset, and I completely know where you are coming from. And I know with certainty, if you damage your N8ii while modding it and need a replacement board, you can buy it from them directly to replace it yourself. They just have a company wide policy that if product is damaged due to your own modding, they will not service it, but you can work out something off-line to buy a replacement part. You said it yourself many times, @Andykong is the best company rep for one of the best DAP companies, the same as you said about Paul and iBasso and probably Frankie and Shanling :)

Let's just don't lose our cool over this. Every company has their own policy, doesn't make them a bad company or their reps bad people. Your case is unique because on head-fi I haven't seen anybody getting so upset because a company told them in public they will not service a product you damage by modding. In private, they will take care of you, but many don't want to make it public or advertise/encourage modding that can damage their product.

Peace and Love, man, and lots of Audio Enjoyment!!! After all, that's what we are here for in this community :)

May 14, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #4,254 of 15,677
The question remains as to what is considered warranty voiding software modifications?

I am pretty sure Sony won’t void warranty for anyone who does ADB uninstall of the Google apps on their Walkman as it is something that you can completely reverse back to original configuration by means of a factory reset or just by doing adb install command. And also there’s no risk of damage to hardware by doing these steps. This is of course not considering if you go ahead and uninstall very essential apps on the Walkman like it’s music player app or sound adjustment app.

The situation will be completely different if someone go and root their Walkman/DAP which will open can of worms to do things like CPU processor speed controls and other deeper system level adjustments. These of course can result in overheating and other issues if not done correctly or with due care.

May 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,255 of 15,677
Vince, we all love you and I consider you to be a good friend, but don't you think it's a bit too much after you praised N8ii as the best DAP available on the market now in your review on head-fi and wrote dozens of super positive posts about it in N8ii thread, and now after they told you that warranty will be voided if you damage the DAP while modding it (hardware or software) and they will not service it (because warranty is voided due to you damaging it), so you're writing everywhere on Head-fi that Cayin is the worst company? Common, bud. I understand, you are upset, and I completely know where you are coming from. And I know with certainty, if you damage your N8ii while modding it and need a replacement board, you can buy it from them directly to replace it yourself. They just have a company wide policy that if product is damaged due to your own modding, they will not service it, but you can work out something off-line to buy a replacement part. You said it yourself many times, @Andykong is the best company rep for one of the best DAP companies, the same as you said about Paul and iBasso and probably Frankie and Shanling :)

Let's just don't lose our cool over this. Every company has their own policy, doesn't make them a bad company or their reps bad people. Your case is unique because on head-fi I haven't seen anybody getting so upset because a company told them in public they will not service a product you damage by modding. In private, they will take care of you, but many don't want to make it public or advertise/encourage modding that can damage their product.

Peace and Love, man, and lots of Audio Enjoyment!!! After all, that's what we are here for in this community :)
I am so sorry about that, edited my post.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #4,256 of 15,677

No need to apologize, bro. I know, we all know how passionate you are about this hobby. It is inspirational, and I told you this many times before. I even hosted your iBasso amp modding guide on my Tw6 site and still getting comments from people about it. So, you are not alone and you do inspire others with your work.

Alright, let's get back to Sony topic :) Already got 200hrs on 4.4mm output and approaching the same for 3.5mm by tomorrow. And based on my limited listening, I think N8ii and WM1ZM2 are going to share the top crown for Android DAPs, and let's see if DX320 will join them soon :wink:

May 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #4,257 of 15,677
Well why aren’t you allowed to openly criticise a dap manufacturer like how some will openly criticise Sony here in this thread?

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4,258 of 15,677
Well why aren’t you allowed to openly criticise a dap manufacturer like how some will openly criticise Sony here in this thread?
That is what I wondered as a customers, but why should I escalated it any further ? I think I have posted enough. But people is telling me that I am a “special needs”. So whatever is floating their boat my friend. I am cool, either way, I ain’t staying with Cayin, until something changed. They have great products, and Andy is a great rep, no doubts, never changed my mind , and N8ii is still the best I have heard until today

May 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #4,259 of 15,677
There is a difference between constructive critic and just complaining.

Saying that Android contains a lot of bloatware is critic.

Saying Sony is bad when your Walkman is broken because your de-bloated it and they refuse to repair it under warranty is complaining.

It's not their fault that you violated the warranty. It's their fault for putting bloat on there, not that your Walkman is broken.

Sony is doing nothing wrong when refusing the repair under warranty, you are wrong saying bad things about Sony because you broke your own device by violating the rules it came with.

If you don't like the device the way it is, you're free to critic it and you're free to not buy it. But breaking it and then complaining is not going to help anyone

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #4,260 of 15,677
There is a difference between constrictive critic and just complaining.

Saying that Android contains a lot of bloatware is critic.

Saying Sony is bad when your Walkman is broken because your de-bloated it and they refuse to repair it under warranty is complaining.

It's not their fault that you violated the warranty. It's their fault for putting bloat on there, not that your Walkman is broken.

Sony is doing nothing wrong when refusing the repair under warranty, you are wrong saying bad things about Sony because you broke your own device by violating the rules it came with.

If you don't like the device the way it is, you're free to critic it and you're free to not buy it. But breaking it and then complaining is not going to help anyone

I think you have to go case by case. I will actually write this in my review, even encouraging people to use that adbcontrol sw tool where you don't need to root anything and can debloat your Sony dap from Gmail, Maps, and other unnecessary stuff which should be optional. That sw tool is foolproof. That is all harmless and can speed up your user interface, I even measured it with AnTuTu benchmark to prove it. Of course, if you are doing something more hardcore, there is always a risk of bricking your device and if you don't know how to get it back, you are in trouble. The same if you root and overclock which causes overheating and premature aging of components. Also, I don't know if it could be determined that device was rooted and restored back by looking at datestamps of the files, etc. So, there is a possible risk and you have to be aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back