SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 2, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,601 of 15,524
https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122

For fans who are used to looking at the specifications first, the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 do not have significant data improvements compared to the previous generation models, including the use of the same S-Master HX chip, the same power output, and the more significant specifications. The only difference is that the screen is enlarged, the use of USB Type-C to replace the long-standing WM Port, and the DSD support for higher specifications, etc., but where consumers can't see from the data is also the mystery of audio tuning .

Hiromi Sato also re-emphasized that although there are many high-end DAC chip products with beautiful specifications and data on the market, the S-Master chip developed by Sony for portable devices is still Sony's most suitable architecture for portable playback devices, because commercially available general-purpose devices Although the high-end DAC chip has beautiful data on the book, it also needs ample motherboard space and component matching to realize the theoretical data. This is why the DMP-Z1 previously developed by Sony in pursuit of the ultimate is so huge. At least the layout of the DMP-Z1 must be used for the best effort, but in this way, it is contrary to the type of portable player.

The S-Master HX chip is smaller than the traditional audio DAC chip and has excellent energy efficiency

Designed by Sony's engineering department, the S-Master chip is a highly integrated chip that integrates DAC and expansion. Not only is the chip less than half the size of a traditional audiophile DAC, but it also uses simultaneous digital signal processing and amplification to further reduce distortion. , and through the digital volume control based on changing the voltage, the sound quality degradation of the traditional analog volume at low volume can also be avoided. At the same time, due to the digital architecture, once a clean and stable power supply is used, the sound can also be improved. How to further play The potential of the S-Master is also the subject of this new model.

Details that are invisible from appearance and data specifications further evolve sound quality

Digital and analog partitions can be said to be basic disks

Excluding the core system and S-Master HX, the evolution of the core components of NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 is quite complicated, from PCB technology, soldering, audio components to chassis material and structure, etc., are completely different from the previous generation. , but this time the two models only have differences in the chassis, internal cables and storage capacity, unlike the previous generation where the components on the motherboard are also slightly different, making the performance gap between the two models even narrower, and it may be difficult to distinguish without listening carefully. level, but if you analyze it further, you can feel that subtle component differences can also make a difference in the final listening experience.

▲The audio components developed in-house are all in pursuit of higher sound quality

The circuit design of NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 follows the principle of partitioning of digital and analog architectures. At the same time, copper masks are added to the digital processor and storage memory blocks that are prone to interference. The motherboard PCB not only uses more Thick copper film, using low dielectric conductivity material on the insulator, also fills the hole to further reduce the conduction resistance.

▲The circuit board design of the two new models, please pay attention to the large-capacity FT-CAP3 lying above the digital block

The audio components used in the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 have also been further improved. In addition to the large copper-plated resistors and film capacitors developed in-house by Sony, the FT-CAP solid polymer capacitors introduced into products in 2015 have also been upgraded to In the third generation, Hiromi Sato emphasized that the performance of the FT-CAP3 this time can be said to be a masterpiece. At the same time, according to the design requirements, a large-capacity long-leg capacitor was specially customized for the power supply part, so that this large-capacity FT-CAP3 can be Turning to 90 degrees lying on the circuit further improves the stability and purity of the power supply. At the same time, the crystal oscillator has also changed from silver-plated to gold-plated with lower impedance in the previous generation, which further reduces the signal transmission impedance.

The key components of the two models are made of gold-containing solder

As for the audio solder used to connect components, it has also evolved again. This time, all solder materials containing gold are used. Gold-containing solder can reduce impedance and allow high frequency extension. However, the proportion will be too much. The solder used this time is also The formula that Sony has completed after many attempts, and in the era of DMP-Z1, the welding wire that can be used for manual welding has been completed, but only for parts that are partially welded by hand, and the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 are completed with After the gold solder paste is developed, the solder paste is used directly for the connection of components.
And still 256gb onboard storage. 😂😂😂 for a device that is being sold to audio lovers that believe in the borderline audiofoolery of HRes etc etc etc - even though our hearing is degrading way beyond the distinuishable point with each passing year.

Gold solder mind. 😉

May 2, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,602 of 15,524
And still 256gb onboard storage. 😂😂😂 for a device that is being sold to audio lovers that believe in the borderline audiofoolery of HRes etc etc etc - even though our hearing is degrading way beyond the distinuishable point with each passing year.

Gold solder mind. 😉

For $3700 (if I'm not mistaken) I would expect 512 GB at least, if not 1 TB.

May 2, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #3,603 of 15,524
For $3700 (if I'm not mistaken) I would expect 512 GB at least, if not 1 TB.
Except apparently you need an industrial mSD card for optimal SQ, so anything beyond 256GB internal is a total waste of space and cost. 😉

PS. I wonder why the Nayparm mod doesn't offer larger internal storage?

May 2, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,605 of 15,524
Except apparently you need an industrial mSD card for optimal SQ, so anything beyond 256GB internal is a total waste of space and cost. 😉

PS. I wonder why the Nayparm mod doesn't offer larger internal storage?
We also have to take into factor that there’s a semiconductor and raw material shortage going on in the world right now. It might get tricky for Sony to introduce such high storage capacities and later suffer from oem supply production shortages. Just for example the micron 1TB cards are now only available after Nov 2022 as per stated on the mouser site. Don’t think anyone has the patience to preorder a Walkman in April and have to wait till December to collect.

Even other similarly priced dap also don’t offer 512GB of storage. I think it also has to do with the write endurance of the nand and the space available on the pcb board to hold nand storage chips as well.

Currently only QLC nand flash die can achieve 512GB in one chip but the write endurance is only 1500 program and erase cycles which might be just too low endurance for usage as primary storage for operating systems.

As for industrial cards giving optimal sound quality, it still will also depend on how resolving your other equipment is, the type of connection: balanced or single ended and also what kind of DSP setting you use.

I would definitely suggest one to prioritise one’s budget and consider getting the industrial microSD cards if one budget allows for it and every other component in your audio chain has already reached your satisfied level of sound quality first.

Just search “microSD” on the headfi iBasso dx300 thread, you will find even some iBasso users reporting they have heard industrial cards sounding better than consumer cards.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #3,606 of 15,524
Just received a few goodies for my 1ZM2 :relieved:

ZM2case_amario.png
I got mine today too. It’s an excellent case, but I don’t like it. Hopefully Dignis Patina gets released soon.

May 2, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,607 of 15,524
We also have to take into factor that there’s a semiconductor and raw material shortage going on in the world right now. It might get tricky for Sony to introduce such high storage capacities and later suffer from oem supply production shortages. Just for example the micron 1TB cards are now only available after Nov 2022 as per stated on the mouser site. Don’t think anyone has the patience to preorder a Walkman in April and have to wait till December to collect.

Even other similarly priced dap also don’t offer 512GB of storage. I think it also has to do with the write endurance of the nand and the space available on the pcb board to hold nand storage chips.

Currently only QLC nand flash die can achieve 512GB in one chip but the write endurance is only 1500 program and erase cycles which might be just too low for usage as primary storage for operating systems.

As for industrial cards giving optimal sound quality, it still will also depend on how resolving your other equipment is, the type of connection: balanced or single ended and also what kind of DSP setting you use.

I would definitely suggest one to prioritise one’s budget and consider getting the industrial microSD cards if one budget allows for it and every other component in your audio chain has already reached your satisfied level of sound quality first.

Just search “microSD” on the headfi iBasso dx300 thread, you will find even some iBasso users reporting they have heard industrial cards sounding better than consumer cards.
I got Micron 1tb from Arrow.com. They have about 100 left in stock.

May 2, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #3,608 of 15,524
I got Micron 1tb from Arrow.com. They have about 100 left in stock.
congrats. Did you pay more in price as compared to mouser?

also of course please let us know if the micron industrial card made any sound difference after your Walkman has aged 200hours ideally but I myself heard differences in unaged single ended port right away.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #3,609 of 15,524
EU cap has been around to prevent some folks from ruining their hearing. Are you blaming SONY because they follow a rule they did not create?

Maybe Daps should be sold to persons over 18 years of age and it's up to them to control the volume for the earphone/headphone they're using, with an advisory on reaching high volume with volume lowering software when a jack is changed. Maybe only Daps sold to younger people should be capped?

May 2, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #3,610 of 15,524

also of course please let us know if the micron industrial card made any sound difference after your Walkman has aged 200hours.
Thanks! Arrow offered it for $2 less. LOL. I ended up paying 327 after taxes. My test of SanDisk Extreme vs Internal Storage on 1ZM2 shocked me about how crappy SanDisk sounded (and I bought two of Sandisks - what a waste!!)

May 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #3,611 of 15,524

also of course please let us know if the micron industrial card made any sound difference after your Walkman has aged 200hours.

I'm hesitant to do lots of A-B'ing with the delicate micro card mechanism. Playing music with the Micron card the background sounds quieter, and the music sounds 'clean' like unwanted noise has been reduced. Though without testing it should be taken as conjecture.

May 2, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #3,612 of 15,524
Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #3,613 of 15,524
It's ~900 euro(~£760) for ZM2 tax in my country if it is outside EU.
I don't think I can cancel my preorder. Its from local store. Not official Sony but they get Sony stuff. They won't cancel it. They don't know anything about EU cap version. There is no official Sony here.
My best bet would be to buy some amp for Z1R. I can't send back Z1R for same reason. I'm stuck.
You have made the full payment ?

May 2, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #3,614 of 15,524
Is this how things should arrive for micron SD cards? In a big box not it's own packaging?
Bought it from arrow.com

How can I check they are legit?

Attachments

• 20220502_181028.jpg
    20220502_181028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 2, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,615 of 15,524
Admittedly, I have not read this expansive thread to any degree. However, I am once again, disappointed by Sony. I would have hoped for ONLY sound effecting improvements (caps, power supply, etc.) and, yes, streaming WIFI capability. At this price point the buyer is most likely only interested in AUDIO performance, Delete all the signal processing nonsense and add more POWER! If I'm not mistaken, some of the early Sony portable players (CD/cassette) had100mW output per channel. What is the anemic power output of this disappointment? I'll pass on this and keep my NW-WM1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back