SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,231 of 2,453
  I just received an A35 from Amazon seller "BuyWIse Corp" and the touchscreen is horrible. Several areas of the screen are not responsive at all. For example, I cannot change AM to PM in the clock setting. I cannot select the 400hz, 2.5khz or 6.3khz bands of the equalizer. No problem selecting the 60hz, 1Khz or 16khz bands. I updated the firmware, but that didn't help. Anyone else experiencing anything like this. Maybe I just got a defective one.

Got mine the same way (Buywise/Amazon) and no problem at all. probably just bad luck. exchange for a new one.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,233 of 2,453
curious, can you at least seek through a podcast using the touchscreen (like directly selecting a point in the track)? this might make it tolerable for me without podcast bookmarking, if I dont' have to hold down fast forward and rewind to find my spot

As long as the file is in a format that the sony will recognise, it will play as a normal mp3 file.  That part isn't the problem.  I tend to listen to either 30 minute comedies (they are fine) or 1 hour or long audio plays.  Sometimes I don't (or can't) listen in one go, so it's remembering the spot where I last played it that's the problem there.  The ipod classic and touch were fine for this.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,234 of 2,453

As long as the file is in a format that the sony will recognise, it will play as a normal mp3 file.  That part isn't the problem.  I tend to listen to either 30 minute comedies (they are fine) or 1 hour or long audio plays.  Sometimes I don't (or can't) listen in one go, so it's remembering the spot where I last played it that's the problem there.  The ipod classic and touch were fine for this.

other genres you don't listen to him?

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,236 of 2,453

Or until the WM1A godness show up
biggrin.gif

you managed to listen to the A30?

No as i love my WM1A :p

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,237 of 2,453

I never actually said they increase output power it is more complicated than just adding the capacitors  but they do assist in regulating power flow.  The polymer capacitors allow for greater ripple current and lower equivalent series resistance.  I guess I should have gone into more detail but I wasn't looking to create an indepth discussion on amplifier design and power output.  By themselves they don't create the extra power but allow Sony to design an amplifier stage that can produce more power than the previous models.

​I had a chance to talk to Tomoaki Sato

I never actually said they increase output power it is more complicated than just adding the capacitors  but they do assist in regulating power flow.  The polymer capacitors allow for greater ripple current and lower equivalent series resistance.  I guess I should have gone into more detail but I wasn't looking to create an indepth discussion on amplifier design and power output.  By themselves they don't create the extra power but allow Sony to design an amplifier stage that can produce more power than the previous models.

​The WM1 series has a supercapacitor to prevent voltage drops and actually in the ouput stage the WM1 has 9 caps for SE and 4 more for BALANCED. I think Caps are use to clean the signal

Capaciators only store power in a electric field. They don't increase power.

confused.gif
 Capacitors don't increase output power.  What the heck are you talking about?

​I have had a chance to talk to Tomoaki Sato and Hiroaki Sato, the two "Satos" in charge of WM1 Series and A30 series when they visited HK to do a sharing session. They did confirm that WM1Z, WM1A and A30 all used the same latest version of S-Master Digital Amplifier Chips. However, the tuning of sound is different.

It seems to me that the output power and DSD capability on A30 is capped compared to WM1 series for consideration of sound style and power consumption of the device. But it is still a great step ahead from previous models.

The aluminum chassis of A30 is also a point worthy of mentioned as it lowers the impedance of the player, providing better highs. Also it has two master clocks (44.1kHz and 48 kHz) to avoid jittering issues of different sound sampling rates.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,238 of 2,453
Hi guys. I need some suggestions here. (And sorry for my bad English)
I currently own an S7 edge exynos version (people said it has Wolf DAC) and i'm planning to get an A35. Is it worth it to buy the A35 as another music player? Is the sound quality really better than the S7 edge? Since the headphone i'm using is MDR-100abn and i prefer using it wireless.

It doesn't use a Wolfson DAC. They used a DAC called Lucky (?) Not sure about the name. Also, Exynos version does not support APTX, Only the Snapdragon version (please correct me if i'm wrong). Though it sounds "OK" to me, It lacks driving power.

I had a chance to audition the A35 previously as I'm torn on getting one. A35 sounds much better compared to S7E Exy. I used my IT03 and UM3x and they both sound exeptional paired to A35.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,239 of 2,453
Apart from having to press the back button sometimes three times to get the player to respond, there's another bug to list here.  I'm not sure if this one is due to the new firmware or the increase in storage, as I updated to firmware 1.10 at the same time as I changed to a 128 gig card.  When going back out of an album to the album list view, many of the slots are blank instead of showing an album.  Waiting does not fix it, you need to scroll up or down to force the player to load the list of albums.  This bug is really annoying as I can't see everything I have on the player.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have around 100 gigs of music on the card and another ten on the internal memory.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,240 of 2,453
Thanks a lot mate. Maybe i should buy one since i've just tried it out recently at a local Sony store. The sound details the A35 provided blasted me out, they were very clear and full. One last question, is the headphones that comes with the A36 worth it? Or should i buy another one with the same amount of money?
It doesn't use a Wolfson DAC. They used a DAC called Lucky (?) Not sure about the name. Also, Exynos version does not support APTX, Only the Snapdragon version (please correct me if i'm wrong). Though it sounds "OK" to me, It lacks driving power.

I had a chance to audition the A35 previously as I'm torn on getting one. A35 sounds much better compared to S7E Exy. I used my IT03 and UM3x and they both sound exeptional paired to A35.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,241 of 2,453
  Apart from having to press the back button sometimes three times to get the player to respond, there's another bug to list here.  I'm not sure if this one is due to the new firmware or the increase in storage, as I updated to firmware 1.10 at the same time as I changed to a 128 gig card.  When going back out of an album to the album list view, many of the slots are blank instead of showing an album.  Waiting does not fix it, you need to scroll up or down to force the player to load the list of albums.  This bug is really annoying as I can't see everything I have on the player.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have around 100 gigs of music on the card and another ten on the internal memory.

Yes on the folder browser of my WM1A seems like a software issue, like the list is not refreshing properly

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,242 of 2,453

Using a 200Gb card and no problem with displaying folder/albums

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,243 of 2,453
Does this device act as a USB mass storage device, or do you have to install some Sony application on a commercial OS?

Edit: I only ask because apparently you need an application to update the firmware (rather than placing an image in the root) and it got me worrying;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx3RUPV230VDA0Y/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B01NBSVZK7

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,244 of 2,453
  Does this device act as a USB mass storage device, or do you have to install some Sony application on a commercial OS?

Edit: I only ask because apparently you need an application to update the firmware (rather than placing an image in the root) and it got me worrying;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx3RUPV230VDA0Y/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B01NBSVZK7

I did the firmware update using the downloaded file, No need to use anything else. The unit will show up as a MSD so you can just copy directly to it or yu can use the Sony MediaGo software which works pretty well.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,245 of 2,453

I did the firmware update using the downloaded file, No need to use anything else. The unit will show up as a MSD so you can just copy directly to it or yu can use the Sony MediaGo software which works pretty well.

You copied a Windows executable directly to the device and it did a successful update?

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dna/NW-A30_V1_10win_eu/NW-A35

To be clear, I won't be able to install "Sony MediaGo".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back