SONY NW-A30 SERIES
May 2, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,501 of 2,453
@Wiz33, thank you for sharing your experience with headphones and also receivers, respects.

@stalepie "they'd need to do something to the sound to make it seem better than what a smartphone provides.", yeah, seems very logical to me after reading your comment, and checking the advertisement for France for hear.on sereis, thanks.

@fish1050 Yeah, I agree on partially. For example my S7 edge which is tested by gsm arena, almost dead flat excluding bass frequencies. (It lacks bass). A-35 Sony player on the other hand has better quality and realism and timing and stereo qualities compared to S7 edge but I feel like I need to use equaliser because sometimes I feel bass is a bit much in the mix. And sometimes, treble is just a bit much. This is not problem in good recordings, It will just give some flavor and fun to it, which can be good most of the time, I agree. But I have some old recordings with low fidelity or you can say badly mastered, which are already a bit treble boosted, or some compressed pop music badly mastered for too much bass, A-35 makes them worse :/

I just wish A-35 was close to S7 edge or iPhone's in terms of frequency reproduction. Person who want a bit more bass or treble can always increase from the Eq settings.

Don't get me wrong, player has good dynamics, bacground is more black than my entry level soundcards, I feel sounds come from emptiness, treble is quite boosted but never get harsh interestingly (some person said that in older pages as well), but I really wanted it to be flat out of the box. No need to be dead flat but close.

Eq on A-35 device is quite usefull (responds quite good). The Eq on the S7 edge and Sony Xperia's are quite rubish to be honest. (Except clear bass option on the Xperias which are quite useful and work without much side effect.) S7 edge(exynoss) has 7 stepts to adjust, but after 3 dB boost on any frequency switch and whole sound is muffled. A-35 has much better eq, I boosted 60Hz all the way up to test and player gave me crap ton of bass with almost zero distorsion (very good for portable audio device), and the affect on the other frequencies were minimal. Normally no one boosts one spesific switch to max on the eq, so that's not problem. But still, I think onyl 6 steps is not enough, I can't make presice adjustment to bass section :/ I decided to turn the eq off in the end.

Anyways, I will change the device's country to U (US) in the volume hack and try again. (Because some person said "Asian version of ZX100 is hars sounding", interestingly. I had changed my device's country to E (Asia) before, so may be that's why my problem is amplified.)
Edit: I have read the whole thread 100 pages when I had time, took about 3 days

Yea, The source music is important and I'm sure everyone have something from a "unofficial" source that they did not create. Source does make a big difference in playback quality. I don't know if the EU model comes with 3 songs already in the player. I would say those should be your reference or something that you get from a official source or ripped from your own CDs. So far, stuff that I ripped to FLAC from my own CD using the MediaGo software and 24bit albums I purchased are pretty good. No boomy bass or sharp highs that would distract you.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,502 of 2,453
Yes, EU model comes with 3 songs in the player (one in DSD and the other in Flac). Out of the box with the reference songs, it sounds definitely not fully flat but very neutral and good. I must say that the custom Equalizer helps me a lot to make my B&O H6 better sounding. :nerd:

May 3, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,503 of 2,453
I just got my A-35 from Amazon and am pretty impressed - the sound quality is better than I expected. I have two questions:

1) what's the difference between the "LDAC-Connection Preferred" and "LDAC-Sound Quality Preferred" bluetooth settings? I want to make sure I'm using the best setting with my MDR-1000x

2) do the player and MediaGo only recognize 24bit FLAC as "hi-res"? some of my older FLAC files aren't characterized as "hi-res" when I've added them to my library

May 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,504 of 2,453
I just got my A-35 from Amazon and am pretty impressed - the sound quality is better than I expected. I have two questions:

1) what's the difference between the "LDAC-Connection Preferred" and "LDAC-Sound Quality Preferred" bluetooth settings? I want to make sure I'm using the best setting with my MDR-1000x

2) do the player and MediaGo only recognize 24bit FLAC as "hi-res"? some of my older FLAC files aren't characterized as "hi-res" when I've added them to my library

There is an extensive help guide by Sony here:

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa30/v1/en/contents/TP0001154009.html

1) LDAC Quality gives best quality of music in place of longer battery life

2) Yes, Sony only consider things above 16/44.1 as Hi-Res. So basically nothing that you ripped from CD is consider Hi-Res. So far only Album that I bought from specialty HD music site that make 24/48, 24/96, DSD from studio master and Vinyl the I converted using a 24 bit A2D shows up under Hi-Res

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,508 of 2,453
Long before the sound signiture and warmth and quality, this player is not flat out of the box. I AM 100% SURE that A-35 will not be as flat as S7 or entry level soundcards in the RMAA measurements tetst.
Care to make a wager on whether it measures worse than +/-.5dB from flat between 20-20kHz on the headphone output?

May 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,509 of 2,453
I am not really sure about what you are saying my English is not native. But I expect the bass section to be like this: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz-review-1500p7.php#aq
I can't say overall but I can say bass and the treble section is boosted. I am confident about that. +And don't forget I also tried the devices in "E" country, which is asian, and somebody said Asian ZX100 is sounding harsh in that country. I will change the A-35's country to something else when I have time.

May 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,510 of 2,453
I am not really sure about what you are saying my English is not native. But I expect the bass section to be like this: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz-review-1500p7.php#aq
I can't say overall but I can say bass and the treble section is boosted. I am confident about that. +And don't forget I also tried the devices in "E" country, which is asian, and somebody said Asian ZX100 is sounding harsh in that country. I will change the A-35's country to something else when I have time.
you can do a comparison?

May 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,511 of 2,453

What headphone are you using. Don't think you ever mentioned that.

May 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,512 of 2,453
If you think you can hear a +/-0.2dB variation in the frequency response and readily conclude the bass and treble is boosted from flat I'm not sure what else to say.

May 8, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,513 of 2,453
I just got the A35 and tired it with Dunu Titan 3 and i must say it is a great pairing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back