New Shure SRH1540 closed-back headphones?
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

NicoCat

Head-Fier
Some random browsing I found SRH1540 on Shure's website. They're close-backed and share the same design as the 1440/1840. The pads seem to be velour/fabric. Price and release date are still unknown.

Spec:

Transducer Type: dynamic, neodymium magnet
Driver size: 40 mm
Sensitivity : 99 dB SPL/mW
Impedance: 46 Ω
Max. input power: 1000 mW
Frequency range: 5 Hz - 25 kHz
Net weight (without cable): 286 g
Cable length: 1.8 m
Type of cable: Dual-exit, detachable oxygen-free copper
Plug: Gold-plated 3.5 mm stereo mini jack

Hope they can be an upgrade to my DT250.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 94
Those look pretty sweet. The 1840 frame was a great design so these should be well built and a definite upgrade from the 940 in this respect. It will be interesting to see what they have done sound wise.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 94
Wow! Have to check these out at some point. According to Shure's website, they are shipping to dealers, and have an msrp of 624 bones
http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/press-releases/shure-launches-srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 94
^^Cant form an opinion on that, as i have yet to hear it, but if its something like the 940 (which I love) but with some more thump down low, id pick it up in a heartbeat. Besides, they are just plain sexy.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 94
I've found Shure headphones to sound excellent. Unfortunately I will never buy another because of the atrocious build quality I suffered, repeatedly, with the SRH940. 
Had they acknowledged the widespread problem and rectified the issue with some strengthening of the hinges, I might think differently. But they didn't. They're made by a third party so they probably have no say in production line changes anyway. They never repair anything and simply exchange – it's less costly to just replace the cheaply-made whole headphone than to carry replacement parts and do repairs. Not my idea of a range I can trust. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 94
The metal design if this frame is solidly built with very little moving parts. Comfort wise it was light and initially had some unusual pressure points that quickly disappeared when I demo/reviewed the 1840.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 94
  I've found Shure headphones to sound excellent. Unfortunately I will never buy another because of the atrocious build quality I suffered, repeatedly, with the SRH940. 
Had they acknowledged the widespread problem and rectified the issue with some strengthening of the hinges, I might think differently. But they didn't. They're made by a third party so they probably have no say in production line changes anyway. They never repair anything and simply exchange – it's less costly to just replace the cheaply-made whole headphone than to carry replacement parts and do repairs. Not my idea of a range I can trust. 

You can't compare the build quality of a plastic headphone like the Shure SRH 940 to the Shure SRH 1840. The build quality of the Shure SRH 1840 is far and beyond that of the Shure SRH 940, it's not even worth comparing.

If the Shure SRH 1540 is build similarly to the Shure SRH 1840, build quality is excellent. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 94
"The SRH1540 Premium Closed-Back Headphones feature an expansive soundstage for clear, extended highs and warm bass"

I think Shure has boosted the bass, since the Shure SRH 1840 is described as having accurate bass.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 94
Those pads look just like the kind Turtle Beach uses on their headsets, and those don't even begin to seal properly. I hope the insides of the pads are drastically different.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 94
^^Cant form an opinion on that, as i have yet to hear it, but if its something like the 940 (which I love) but with some more thump down low, id pick it up in a heartbeat. Besides, they are just plain sexy.

I also love the 940s and just wished for more low-end as well...

Haha yep , they look rather uncomfortable but after listening to the 1440s I am not sure if I will go Shure :p

The 1440s have been the "worse" sounding Shure I have heard up to this point!! :frowning2:
Loved the 440s/840s/940s/1840s. Each of them had their "thing" even if they did have a few cons.

You can't compare the build quality of a plastic headphone like the Shure SRH 940 to the Shure SRH 1840. The build quality of the Shure SRH 1840 is far and beyond that of the Shure SRH 940, it's not even worth comparing.

If the Shure SRH 1540 is build similarly to the Shure SRH 1840, build quality is excellent. 

Agreed!

I'm starting to see a few retailers carrying them (BHphotovideo, Sweatwater, Moon-Audio, etc.) but not sure if this is all Pre-order or if they have them available... Hmmmm if they are, I might just buy them this weekend! LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back