New Shure RMCE-BT2 (tested with SE535)
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

theGatMan

Head-Fier
I thought it might be worth adding a new thread, to expand on a side discussion in another Shure IEM thread.

I've been using the new RMCE-BT2 (bottom of photo) with my SE-535's while traveling in Japan for the past week. I liked the predecessor BT1 model (top of photo), and this new one cleans up the small downsides of the previous one.

In particular, the noise floor on the RMCE-BT2 is much lower than the previous model. It is now undetectable, for practical use.

Battery life is much better than the previous model, and the overall refinement is very good. The pendant clip is quite effective and when properly worn you simply do not notice the wires. The symmetry of the unit is better all around for comfort and unobtrusiveness.

Zero dropouts (with iPhone Xs) even when walking around parts of Shinjuku and on the JR Yamanote line trains, which sometimes bring other bluetooth devices to their knees. This might be one of the most RF-intensive environments on the planet- for example, my Sony WF1000X's slave unit routinely cuts out here (and only here)- but zero issues with the Shure BT2.

Max VU level is a bit lower on this model that with the previous BT1 model, but I would venture that max volume with either approaches danger levels depending on your source material.

The battery lasted through the entire return flight from NRT to SEA yesterday, with room to spare. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with this new cable from Shure.

Specifications indicate a 10-hour battery life, Bluetooth 5, integrated DAC and headphone amp, and support for aptX, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, AAC and SBC.

CU3WJasbQ8uZQytk8Ua%tg.jpg

Attachments

• M0qQdwLUTdCp0t3%j88cKw.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 117
Thanks. Very interesting. I reall6 want one. Would you mind explaining how to wear this cable?

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 117
how does it compare to your Sony WF1000X? I have the previous generation shure BT1 and I am thinking for an upgrade or just get the Sony one. I have SE215 and SE535, but the BT1 can't push the SE535 at all.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 117
I just got through testing them compared to the ME BT apt x and wired
Test chain is a Pixel 2XL to the EARS:

FR:
y4mTGLTRRz-b1B2Vm_MadUZbto088lcpXAluXMmQCyjJBSJ6uuT-sBgWZnyKyB2nypAk8yiL2VHuc1j5gmJ8ywvbwQo-XyGrsfSR2BtIMcfNKCCwyMu4_7zYig_n6lqQ925nQXZAhrOSY6h4e9f7B5aposvlBoBD-AfILDJFZN9A7qpAYQuAsbs77Q2qWLvt7EVgA8BjQFPIO2xKEkO9lxwNw

Since the SE846 is so picky with source impedance, the Shure dongle must be quite low
The red is wired (dragonfly red)

Distortion/noise:
The Shure with se846:
y4m90P-Lz2VSZUHpbfL2QX6_xkyxqi6eehv_2nSI_8g4n6dcIj7MFvHrBSwiqfXnGLJzg7AfROYUMOyFJqfSkS0437zEKL9kOzkuavHf3yIwdm8KpTIK1UyExl4YU0fzpX6pVRZiQ9fp3I15Tei-9uLqUVsXQrJFA2s-IvK_o2n3-sHEm6rl1NerQGsqFg6__bVcwCp39VRuh72c_e2D5Oe5g

VS ME BT (plain aptx):
y4mqkzLKJHQfK3kS9EzfqzeW1MiUIvjjjyd1dQpFNJ_1TD8HNqiFsGqkEDgHuQwP2CJfdu9YpY4NoVRUQoV0gk2m33McR-AJOrKfE_COPV6p7ZwbfHIxm-sx-78_CNwL0SHgMqhAlDiYF_2UMd9brH11S2LRZk0DZxz0GwMtT-KsUD90qVTHfYezwYSodOFETaw0oBEI3heYZja7Z5jWQsS-A

VS Wired (Google Dac dongle):
y4m22Lc6YaNsUUKLHKnGhPwzVt6w719HCdtLwEM4s1QkEGgWtMC-TEN1dpqJQvLgUqDsMBildHsZLlx0LpftcvP16EmtzUX6ybTMSGmnJmeQ7rKRjWHl6U-phLtWG-FzA6RpFmQnjZvP9rNEXCTMuzkdU6tBePRnPYhD3P5Bz2Ug4i1ixWxpEycHNAeeYxThDhCR542Sjnnaco_ZTuBTJ-xcQ

The plain aptX has a bit more noise (as expected) but the apt X HD is virtually the same as wired.
The THD is not an issue with either codec.

The only downside is the relatively large hanging clip.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 117
how is the bt2 cable? When I saw that the cable hangs like a necklace and pendant it looked like it would swing and honestly I hate the design I cant stand it. Id much rather a compact form that wraps behind your neck or infront of your neck though not too long, something useful on packed trains. This cable I dunno looks like a necklace really I feel they couldve designed it much better and smaller hopefully, I hope they make a bt3.

I do like that the reviews Ive read from others also say its a good upgrade compared to the bt1 as I did not want to purchase the bt1 for my se846s due to poor reviews. I want a bluetooth cable badly as Im on packed trained I hate having the long stock cables dangling and cant use my player on my hand freely Id rather pack it away in my bag pack or pocket and listen to the music with a switch on the cable to go to next track, does such a cable exist?

Also the bt2 is not available in australia yet, or I havent found a store to sell it. Importing it with our import taxes and conversion rate this cable with delivery will set me in the AUD$220-250 range from what Im finding not cheap at all

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 117
The pendant has a sturdy clip. You can run it behind your head and clip it to a shirt collar, or in front. It’s lightweight and not much of an issue. I’ve also run it under my motorcycle helmet, with zero issues. It has volume and track controls on the right side cable. On my bike when riding solo, I control it with a Satechi Bluetooth media control button linked to my iPhone. The button is mounted on my handlebars and allows track control, and volume control. I can also control it with my Sena helmet mounted intercom, but that’s sort of pointless. I wire the SE535’s directly to the Sena while on group rides when I use the intercom function.

One noticeable high point is zero latency- undetectable really- when watching movies or video on my iPad. Bluetooth 5 also allows simultaneous connection to more than one other BT5 device, which has been quite useful. For instance, iPhone and iPad simultaneously, so I can take a call on the phone while using the iPad. Connection is very fast and rock solid. Battery life continues to be excellent. Very competitive SQ and power with the wired configuration driven from an iPhone Xs and Apple dongle.

I’ve also used the Shure BT2 cable with my Sony XMAZ5’s. Not nearly enough oomph to push them to their potential but SQ is good. However, unlike with the SE535’s, not even close to comparable to the wired configuration of the XMA’s cabled with the iPhone dongle. That pushes them much closer to their potential. No doubt an impedance issue.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 117
the westone bluetooth v2 cable looks nice I like the design wonder how that compares to the shures

Their rep also told me this:
"The cable itself has an average life of 8 hours and the dock can add an additional 4 hours to that. That all depends on what kind of earphones you're driving with the cable and what volume you're listing at. The cable does support AAC as well."

I'm going to order this and pair it with the UM Pro v2

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 117
I want one. I am on conference calls 5/6 hours a day. How do calls sound with the bluetooth cable. I currently use SE215 wired connection and have no problems.

Itching to slide the Buy Now button.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 117
Well my local head fi shop hasnt stocked them yet in my region but they did say sometime in the new year they will get them in. I did ask him if there are alternative cables he would recommend and they said the FiiO RC-BT's review really well and support the same HD codecs that the BT2 cable does and they only cost AUD$60 which is really cheap compared to the BT2. He said they have the same battery length at 10hrs and the design is more compact and comfortable. Anyone have them or tried them for opinions? possibly if they compared them with the bt2s also? Man would love some youtube reviews on wireless cables on the same earbuds to compare

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 117
Anyone know how to keep a stable BT connection with the BT2 cable? I like it but man Im noticing alot of drop outs. I have a FiiO x7 gen1 DAP with latest firmware updates. I have 8hrs of charge left on the BT2 cable and 93% battery on the DAP. Anyway constantly Ill be listening to music and my headphones audio will drop to low volume, beep and then I hear 2 beeps saying Connected followed by the audio continueing few seconds later. And this is with the DAP on my lap if I put it in my bag pack where I want it when travelling to work forget it even more disconnects. I thought the range would be much better than this Im not very impressed with it all lately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back