New Shure 112 $50 IEMs Announced
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Deviltooth

1000+ Head-Fier
I've seen the announcement on a few tech sites and here's the link to Shure's webpage.  It looks like Shure has woken up and responded to the barrage of better quality budget earphones available recently.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se112-sound-isolating-earphones

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 17
i love shure, probably one of my favorite brands. ive owned all the lines e2c,e3,e4c,e5c,scl4,scl5,se310,se420,se425,se535, ect ect ect

the one thing i hate about their lower end models like the 112 is the bulk, i wish they would make more ergonomic earphones. for instance the e4c/scl4 were impossible to wear over the ears, thehad to be worn down, they were small, compact but the design was off, they sounded great just should have had better design and i think that shure realized that if you look at the se215 to the se535 they all pretty much share the same kind of shell, BA or dynamic, so i think over time they are starting to get it right. 

i just hate all that bulk bulgy style it has, much like the 110 ect

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 17
  i love shure, probably one of my favorite brands. ive owned all the lines e2c,e3,e4c,e5c,scl4,scl5,se310,se420,se425,se535, ect ect ect

the one thing i hate about their lower end models like the 112 is the bulk, i wish they would make more ergonomic earphones. for instance the e4c/scl4 were impossible to wear over the ears, thehad to be worn down, they were small, compact but the design was off, they sounded great just should have had better design and i think that shure realized that if you look at the se215 to the se535 they all pretty much share the same kind of shell, BA or dynamic, so i think over time they are starting to get it right. 

i just hate all that bulk bulgy style it has, much like the 110 ect

In the photos the 112 looks relatively small; I also read that it can be worn over the ear.  With my se215 I liked the shape, size and isolation... I didn't like the thick, difficult cables.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 17
UE900 cables are a dream on them. I use the blue one for the mic and play/pause/answer/hangup. Best all-purpose earphone I've yet discovered.

Quote:

In the photos the 112 looks relatively small; I also read that it can be worn over the ear.  With my se215 I liked the shape, size and isolation... I didn't like the thick, difficult cables.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm impressed with Shure's conservative (or accurate) frequency response specs.

Frequency Range
25Hz – 17kHz

It could have easily said 2Hz - 3000 MHz...

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 17
  What, did Shure have a massive back stock of housings from the SE110 they needed to use?

thsats more or less what i was getting at.... too bulky imo. i seen pics of ppl wearing them over ear the se110 and it doesnt look natural

se110 housing

bulky

innatural looking

sticking out like a tf10 even the tf10 is more ergonomic

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 17
My Noble 4 is bulky but the plastic is extremely light  and the nozzles are long enough that only they and the tip come in contact with my ears.  Are you objecting to the fit of the previous Shure models or the looks?

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 17
  My Noble 4 is bulky but the plastic is extremely light  and the nozzles are long enough that only they and the tip come in contact with my ears.  Are you objecting to the fit of the previous Shure models or the looks?

I had the SE115s for a while which use the same housing and I had a helluva time getting them comfortable to wear for any period of time.  I also have gigantic, elephantine ears and it's literally the only IEM I've *ever* had this problem with.  Even the Monoprice 8320 gave me fewer fit issues.

So yeah, I'm concerned about the ergonomics.  I don't know why Shure wouldn't just re-use the housings from the E2C/SE102k

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 17

I had the SE115s for a while which use the same housing and I had a helluva time getting them comfortable to wear for any period of time.  I also have gigantic, elephantine ears and it's literally the only IEM I've *ever* had this problem with.  Even the Monoprice 8320 gave me fewer fit issues.

So yeah, I'm concerned about the ergonomics.  I don't know why Shure wouldn't just re-use the housings from the E2C/SE102k

you know suprisingly the e2c and se102k were really good fits i would say i have medium ears and to me for the longest time i thought they looked awkward until i got both and tried them out, and their fit and over the ears were great. but its very unlikly they would ever go back to that design for the lower end models.

i dont know why they dont use the current model design like the 215,315,425,535 IMO it has really good ergonomics some find some faults with it but IMO its a good shell.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 17
  you know suprisingly the e2c and se102k were really good fits i would say i have medium ears and to me for the longest time i thought they looked awkward until i got both and tried them out, and their fit and over the ears were great. but its very unlikly they would ever go back to that design for the lower end models.

i dont know why they dont use the current model design like the 215,315,425,535 IMO it has really good ergonomics some find some faults with it but IMO its a good shell.

I'd guess they need to visually differentiate the differences between their more expensive offerings and this new budget release.  Typical uniformed earphone consumers base a lot on looks (hence crap like Beats selling in droves).

Jekostas: You have me concerned, now I'm thinking this is a try before I buy IEM.  I have smaller than average ears and ear canals, often universals don't offer me great fit/comfort.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 17

I'd guess they need to visually differentiate the differences between their more expensive offerings and this new budget release.  Typical uniformed earphone consumers base a lot on looks (hence crap like Beats selling in droves).

Jekostas: You have me concerned, now I'm thinking this is a try before I buy IEM.  I have smaller than average ears and ear canals, often universals don't offer me great fit/comfort.

completely agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back