Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #361 of 6,418
OTG is not a thing with Usb-c. A Usb-c to Usb-c cable from the m0 to your phone will allow file transfer just fine. Same as it is on the M1. Frankie tested it on the M0 a few weeks ago when I talked about it on the M1 as I did it with my Note 8 and ES File Explorer.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #363 of 6,418
Think you still ned a specific OTG cable for micro USB and then whatever adapter to go to Usb-c. Would think an OTG cable going to female USB A and then a USB A to USB C cable should do the trick. Would think that's the most reliable way.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #364 of 6,418
OTG is not a thing with Usb-c. A Usb-c to Usb-c cable from the m0 to your phone will allow file transfer just fine. Same as it is on the M1. Frankie tested it on the M0 a few weeks ago when I talked about it on the M1 as I did it with my Note 8 and ES File Explorer.

I would disagree a bit. You do need a specific OTG cable to read an external memory stick with USB C on both the Shanling M1 and M2S.
I was just making sure that the same function is also supported on the M0.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #365 of 6,418
I would disagree a bit. You do need a specific OTG cable to read an external memory stick with USB C on both the Shanling M1 and M2S.
I was just making sure that the same function is also supported on the M0.
I was only referring to Usb-c to Usb-c connections where you do not need any sort of special cable. Mentioned that in the 2nd sentence of that post.

If you're still living old school with old connections, then that's a different story. I don't roll that way anymore. I won't buy anything unless its connection is Usb-c. All of my OTG cables/adapters collect dust since I stopped using my Atrix laptop dock.

Anyone try to plug in a Usb-c thumb drive direct to the M1 and transfer? A 128gb SanDisk is only $35.

But if you have a normal thumb drive, wouldn't any female Usb-a 3.0 to male Usb-c adapter do the trick?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #367 of 6,418
If you're already invested in gear that still uses micro, then you have no choice. But as I mentioned, I was just talking about Usb-c to USB-C and not needing any adapters or dongles.

But if C to C works the same way on the M0 as it does on the M1, then normal OTG should work on the M0 as well since it works on the M1. At least according to what Shanling mentioned before.

In regards to thumb drives, just saw the little female A to male C adapters are technically OTG adapters. Didn't know they were classified as such. I've only used micro USB OTG adapters. I don't do the outboard DAC/transport stuff many of you do so I'm not invested that way. And if I had a thumb drive I'd have to buy an adapter for, I'd just get a USB-C thumb drive, since they're fairly cheap, and pass the old one on to family members. They're all using older gear anyway outside of their phones. And I wouldn't have to worry about an adapter or losing the adapter and being DOA without it. I tend to lose or misplace those things unless I can tether them. So the less adapters needed, the better. :)

The M1 came with the female A to male C adapter, didn't it?

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #368 of 6,418
I’m quite new in hifi players and thinking on getting my first Shanling.
However I’m not sure about model so here’s my questions:

Is m0 hi-fi or hi-res player?
Currently I have ipod nano, so will it make any profit by getting Shanling? Or all nano type players will have similar sound for gyms and sports. I just don’t think on wasting 100 dollars on same player that I already own (I know that it’s not for sale yet but speaking of nano sized players is there any difference or I should go higher model to see any difference (m3s or m5).

In addition, what is its internal storage? I saw with no storage for 99 dollars on aliexpress, 16 GB and 32. Could you please confirm what version comes on lowest price? Does it even exist with no internal storage?

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #370 of 6,418
My friend is in china right now. Could anyone please give me a link to a reliable shop?

Hard to pass on the m0 looking at its specifications. My biggest worry is the hiss level.
From my experience at CanJam SoCal, hiss was observed to be pretty much non-existent. :smiley:

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #371 of 6,418
How's the red? I really want a red DAP (all my other DAPs are gray or black...)
Hopefully it is not a finger-magnet-finish... (and not light red / pinkish)

On M0, whole body is from aluminium. And our surface finish is nice, little textured, smooth and matte. Nothing like raw aluminium, with sticky and glossy surface.

Just to clarify; the case with the clip is still coming, correct? It is just a matter of getting those manufactured?

The case with the arm band was one of the best features of the M1. I still would like some kind of clip or armband for the M2S.

Also, again to clarify, the M0 will still support OTG, correct? I like the stability of the M1 with my USB stick using OTG. I separate my music into my daily listens on the SD card and "deep catalog" on the USB stick (and Samsung external SSD USB drive).

Of course the clip case is coming, just might be slightly delayed.

Well, actually there is no USB OTG support for external storage for now. Need to check how are our plans on implementing it.

I’m quite new in hifi players and thinking on getting my first Shanling.
However I’m not sure about model so here’s my questions:

Is m0 hi-fi or hi-res player?
Currently I have ipod nano, so will it make any profit by getting Shanling? Or all nano type players will have similar sound for gyms and sports. I just don’t think on wasting 100 dollars on same player that I already own (I know that it’s not for sale yet but speaking of nano sized players is there any difference or I should go higher model to see any difference (m3s or m5).

In addition, what is its internal storage? I saw with no storage for 99 dollars on aliexpress, 16 GB and 32. Could you please confirm what version comes on lowest price? Does it even exist with no internal storage?

We consider M0 to be both Hi-fi and Hi-res player. For audio, it's using ES9218P SABRE HiFi SoC and it's Hi-res certified, with support of 32/384 PCM and 128 DSD files.
Apart from size, I don't think old iPod nano can be really comparable :)

There is no internal storage, all music must be downloaded onto Micro SD card (sold separately).

My friend is in china right now. Could anyone please give me a link to a reliable shop?

Hard to pass on the m0 looking at its specifications. My biggest worry is the hiss level.

If you friend is in China, he can definitely shop for Shanling players, but M0 is not on market yet.

Regarding hiss, I tested it with Jomo Samba, Campfire Audio Andromeda, Shure Se846, few of the most hiss sensitive IEMs on the market. And on M0, there was no audible hiss :wink:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #372 of 6,418
Of course the clip case is coming, just might be slightly delayed.

Well, actually there is no USB OTG support for external storage for now. Need to check how are our plans on implementing it.

I would encourage support of USB OTG. The way I use the M2S and M1 right now is to put my most played music on the internal card, and then pull out the OTG storage when I want to use deep catalog. That works quite nicely with the M1. I hope there isn't any hardware limitation to that.

That clip case looks great. When that comes out I may finally kick my old ipod nano with the clip out of the gym bag.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #374 of 6,418
To give you some ideas on colours of M0.
17.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 20, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #375 of 6,418
To give you some ideas on colours of M0.
I’m feeling the red, but blue is quite snazzy as well!

ED186C25-8260-4AFE-B71C-221F494AEF4A.gif

Actually, most of the available colors looks like they are straight from Power Rangers...

4B3C56FF-386C-47F9-9433-E14DD9907CBE.gif

0DCAF1F5-B8DD-4FA7-81CD-E74249C7B734.gif

FA1BA00D-6A88-4407-8176-E5999A37A585.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back