Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 16, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #4,051 of 6,413
Dec 16, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #4,053 of 6,413
Had a fun question... if you could have any portable dap today, which one would it be?

if im recommending for someone then probably m0, however for myself i currently want (atc hda-dp20)...i miss that wolfson sound, also miss the days when mid-range/entry daps had proper PCB circuits with proper separated DAC and amps, which had good power to drive headphones too.

now all companies use single DAC/AMP chip with really low output power for IEMs only..and forgot using them with hard to drive IEMs.

you just need to compare fiio x3 2nd gen with all new entry daps these days to know what i mean.

fortunately shanling tuning is really good it overcomes these problems.

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #4,055 of 6,413
Still on Clip Zip, haven't found anything else that'd come close.
M0 looks very interesting though, but with slightly unresponsive support and incomplete specs I cannot judge how loud it's going to be with my HP, which is slight demotivation in my case.

Also it seems M0 doesn't have Doom in it. Every DAP should have Doom pre-installed.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #4,057 of 6,413
but it does not come close to the M0 when it comes to sound quality.
Ah yes, the always brought up argument about sound quality.
Zip for me came clean and equal to Fiio X3II, X5II and MDAC, when volume matched, on multiple headphones and configurations (HD800, HD800s, LCD-2, HD650, DT880, DT990, T1, T5p, ...). Even if there are minuscule differences and M0 would be better, Zip is still a tough contender with its battery life, vast functionality, EQ, crossfeed, playlist creation, size and many more. At present, M0 is also lacking Opus support, codec which I use on all of my portable music collection, except very few albums which are in FLAC.
Gapless support remains to be confirmed, along with output power parameters.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4,058 of 6,413
One big difference for me between the Clip Zip and M0? I've had and used my zip much longer so it's a lot closer to the end of life than the m0. And the zips are harder to come by as time goes on.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,059 of 6,413
If your your premise were correct, you would be right.

Except it is not, there is a sound quality difference between daps.
Yes but I noticed you didn't speak up when there were several posts in this thread saying that more expensive daps didn't sound better than the m0 in blind listening tests. Nobody did. So now we have people saying the m0 sounds better than the Clip or their phones. Which is it?

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,061 of 6,413
http://shanling.com/Images/KE/M0/M0 instruction1/18.jpg

So Shanling used to have a Stainless clip, hasn't updated the website to show that it was available and then discontinued it and only sells a plastic only clip but also has not added that to the cart? Is that correct?

There were only prototypes of metal clip, production run was always only full plastic clip case.

Can you either redirect it here or take it down then? It was very confusing when I was doing research to buy the M0 because I kept waiting for what I thought was the main forum to come back online.

There should be brand new version of whole Shanling website quite soon.

Does anyone have a clue as to what type of plastic the accessory clip is made from? I want to glue some kind of mount on to it so I can connect it to my bike handlebar. Appears to be polystyrene based, but want to confirm.

I was told TR90 Plastic. Is this enough for you or need some more specific info?

@Shanling I cannot find output voltage under load in the specs. Only one spec is mentioned - 80mW into 32Ohms.
Can you please elaborate on no-load voltage, either Vrms or Vp-p, alternatively, what's the power output to 300Ohm or 600Ohm loads?

Thanks

Maximal voltage output of M0 is 2.0Vrms.

I think you're having the same issues I was just about to ask about. I simply cannot get my car's BT to connect to the M0 correctly. The one time I got it to connect at all, the connection was lost as soon as I changed the volume on the car's head unit! Am I doing something wrong, or does the M0 just not support this?

Also, which Bluetooth setting should I be using on the M0 for car use? Does it matter? It would help if there was a decent manual for the M0.

The Hiby R3 is nothing like this. It connects automatically and just works.

You can find manual for M0 on first page.

Regarding settings, set the Bluetooth quality according to your car stereo specifications.

Car stereos can be problematic, we are trying to look into it, but it's quite hard to test over the big car market.

Then I connect phone to M0 via Bluetooth. It's at max volume (expected) but as soon as I change volume from phone then the M0 changes to volume controlled headphone mode it seems (volume much lower in general).

Is this intended? Or should Bluetooth volume be locked then?

When using M0 as BT receiver, volume settings can be changed both on your phone and M0. Please make sure you are on latest firmware 2.2. Early firmware had some problems with volume controls over BT when connected to iOS devices.

Had a fun question... if you could have any portable dap today, which one would it be?

Shanling M9,easily beating the highest players from A&K. For half the price.

Still on Clip Zip, haven't found anything else that'd come close.
M0 looks very interesting though, but with slightly unresponsive support and incomplete specs I cannot judge how loud it's going to be with my HP, which is slight demotivation in my case.

Also it seems M0 doesn't have Doom in it. Every DAP should have Doom pre-installed.

Unresponsive support? Can you tell me where did you tried to contact us? I was on vacation past week and since I'm only one at Shanling communicating with customers outside of China, apology for lack of responses.

M0 works fine with all IEMs, portable headphones and easier to drive dedicated home headphones. It has significantly more powerful output than Sansa Clip Zip.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #4,062 of 6,413
There were only prototypes of metal clip, production run was always only full plastic clip case.

I was told TR90 Plastic. Is this enough for you or need some more specific info?

Regarding settings, set the Bluetooth quality according to your car stereo specifications.

Car stereos can be problematic, we are trying to look into it, but it's quite hard to test over the big car market.

When using M0 as BT receiver, volume settings can be changed both on your phone and M0. Please make sure you are on latest firmware 2.2. Early firmware had some problems with volume controls over BT when connected to iOS devices.

Unresponsive support? Can you tell me where did you tried to contact us? I was on vacation past week and since I'm only one at Shanling communicating with customers outside of China, apology for lack of responses.

M0 works fine with all IEMs, portable headphones and easier to drive dedicated home headphones. It has significantly more powerful output than Sansa Clip Zip.
Where do we find info on m9?

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #4,063 of 6,413

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,065 of 6,413
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back