New shades... which ones should I get?
May 8, 2006 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
CH-P5113.jpg

CH-P0814.jpg

May 8, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 23
Depends on what you're using them for. The brown/yellow lenses would increase contrast well and work good in a variety of light conditions. They're probably more versatile. I wouldn't find the black/grey lenses very useful, but they might look cooler.

May 8, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 23
I would ad that if you drive a convertible or do a lot of outdoor activities you may want the darkest shade possible. By the way have you looked at Maui Jim sunglasses? Many consider it the best.

May 8, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 23
I prefer the amber lenses because of how the enhance but still protect. I already have a pair of Maui Jim's (which I love and yes they are the best!) with the rose lenses... not the same but similar enhancement so I was thinking the black would go be different and with everything.

I'll use them for mountain bike riding and casual... I've just never been a big fan of black shades... hmmmm tough decision

May 9, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yuck, how about none of the above? Oakley - it's the only way to fly.

Or at the very least, Dragon.
evil_smiley.gif

eh, Oakley is overrated... I have a pair of Riddle's and have owned several others. I've never been overly impressed with anything except their style. As far as lens quality goes Maui Jim > all

Dragons are cool but not very many polarized
confused.gif
I almost bought the Dragon Grifters but... I found DSO and liked them better
biggrin.gif

grawk - I can't buy anything else you already have!
tongue.gif

May 9, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
eh, Oakley is overrated... I have a pair of Riddle's and have owned several others. I've never been overly impressed with anything except their style. As far as lens quality goes Maui Jim > all

Dragons are cool but not very many polarized
confused.gif
I almost bought the Dragon Grifters but... I found DSO and liked them better
biggrin.gif

grawk - I can't buy anything else you already have!
tongue.gif

I guess it all depends on which lens reviews you read. I feel the opposite when it comes to Maui Jim v. the O. When it comes to fashion though, I feel that the girl's styles are just... BLEH!

May 9, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

I guess it all depends on which lens reviews you read. I feel the opposite when it comes to Maui Jim v. the O. When it comes to fashion though, I feel that the girl's styles are just... BLEH!

Well Oakley has a talent for the tech spec writing to make it sound
eek.gif
but when I have my Maui's and Oakley's side by side the Maui's are more clear and feel like they block light better... just my eyes but the Maui's just seem to have HD lenses or something!

I agree about women's styles today... unless you want to look like Brundle Fly
biggrin.gif

The black one are unique but I really look better in the browns... hmmmm meditate on this I will...

May 9, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 23
I was referring to a Private Pilot review, so it's not Oakley's Mad Science page.
wink.gif

A-wire's trounced a set of Maui's with a score of 97 compared to a score of 79. But when it comes to the mad science thing, I do like the idea of using lenses that aren't glued together in layers. I can't say if Maui does that or not.

All I have to compare my Oakleys to are some Ray Bans, and it's just no contest. The Ray Bans are like looking through stock ear buds.

The only two of those "fashion" styles I can wear is the Five 3.0's and the Crosshair S. Othwise they're too big and stupid looking, not to mention the gradient lenses will be useless in summer sunlight. It's dissapointing that Oakley released such junk. But hey, people jumping onto the end of a fashion trend will buy them in droves, and that's what matters.
wink.gif

I got kicked off an Oakley fanboy site for saying that, but I felt redeemed when I got to chat with a female Oakley rep who completely 1000% agreed. Some girls have taste.
biggrin.gif

Why is it that headphone addicts research every little thing? Why can't we just go to a store, like normal people, and buy something that looks cool, blissfully uncaring about the quality or lack thereof?

May 10, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

I was referring to a Private Pilot review, so it's not Oakley's Mad Science page.
wink.gif

A-wire's trounced a set of Maui's with a score of 97 compared to a score of 79. But when it comes to the mad science thing, I do like the idea of using lenses that aren't glued together in layers. I can't say if Maui does that or not.

All I have to compare my Oakleys to are some Ray Bans, and it's just no contest. The Ray Bans are like looking through stock ear buds.

The only two of those "fashion" styles I can wear is the Five 3.0's and the Crosshair S. Othwise they're too big and stupid looking, not to mention the gradient lenses will be useless in summer sunlight. It's dissapointing that Oakley released such junk. But hey, people jumping onto the end of a fashion trend will buy them in droves, and that's what matters.
wink.gif

I got kicked off an Oakley fanboy site for saying that, but I felt redeemed when I got to chat with a female Oakley rep who completely 1000% agreed. Some girls have taste.
biggrin.gif

Why is it that headphone addicts research every little thing? Why can't we just go to a store, like normal people, and buy something that looks cool, blissfully uncaring about the quality or lack thereof?

Well I do a bit of both... I check out styles online and then go try on the ones I like. Funny you mention the Five 3.0's I was just trying some on yesterday... the looked pretty good!

My problem is finding the style I like in a polarized lens... once you go polarized you can't go back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back