New Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless: First Impressions and Discussion Thread.
May 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 59
  Thinking if picking a pair of these up as I'm looking for some fun BT headphones. Was leaning towards the Momentums but the issues I've read about with the noise reduction have put me off. 

One question I have is how the touch controls work. Would they only work with something like an iphone, or could they control something like an AK100ii?

I would be surprised if they cannot interact with the AK or with any other source.
As long as the source support the A2DP and AVRCP profiles, it should all be good.
As far as I know it is the AVRCP the profile for these track controls, but for some reason I do not always see it active when i check the connected profiles with my headphones and my Azio Dongle with CSR Harmony software. That's why I say A2DP too 8which as far as I know should only transmit audio signal, not the tracking controls).

A nice idea would be writing to the AK support.

May 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 59
So, I did pick up a pair of these and first impressions aren't great. The touch controls are really awkward and I keep accidentally pausing the music every time I try and adjust the volume, and even when I just move the headphones on my head a bit. I'll give them a week to see if I can get used to them but I'm very dubious. 

They do sound ok though, although I have to be honest, I think the new studio wireless beats actually sound better. I'm interested to hear how these new Sony Wireless ones sound too. 

May 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 59
If you like the Beats try the Kicker Tabor.
Another one to try is the new Denon.
But, well. If you follow my other thread you know which one I consider the one and only :) Even if, with a little mod.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #19 of 59
So, I did pick up a pair of these and first impressions aren't great. The touch controls are really awkward and I keep accidentally pausing the music every time I try and adjust the volume, and even when I just move the headphones on my head a bit. I'll give them a week to see if I can get used to them but I'm very dubious. 

They do sound ok though, although I have to be honest, I think the new studio wireless beats actually sound better. I'm interested to hear how these new Sony Wireless ones sound too. 

I got used to the touch controls. Still sometimes have issues with them (pausing when thinking I'd double tapped to advance, for example), but few and far between now.

Re sound sig. Just goes to show everyone likes different things. Still hugely impressed by the headphones, and really glad I bought them. I've commented on the sound quality before, but it's a signature that is fun rather than neutral, but allows them to play well about all genres of music.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #20 of 59
Giogio, can you maybee compare the Urbanite wireless headphones to the soundquality of the Plantronics backbeat pro's? In your review of the urbanite you compare them to some headphones but not with the backbeats...

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 59
In a few days I will check out Urbanite, momentum, momentum 2, and some other wireless headphones at a store close by.  I'm looking for some decent replacement wireless cans instead of the wired AKG K701s opened cans I have been using for years.  I also use to own the Sennheiser HD 650's and love those cans.  Any recommendations or suggestions as to what I should be looking at if I'm looking for wireless cans that goes with a mixture of those two headphones?  My price range is around $350.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 59
Picked up a pair of these for $350 aud which I thought was a pretty good deal. They are certainly bassy headphones indeed, a few reviews I've read stated the bass was only slightly boosted but to my ears it's a boosted quite a bit. It certainly has a lot of slam and boom to it which really works well for my hip hop and electronic music. It seems to be one of those headphones that seems to pump up the bass even when it's not there which can makes a few tracks sound quite different, sometimes good sometimes bad. I do like bass but I'd have to say this headphone is right at the limit of what I find enjoyable and occasionally it overdoes it. Hopefully with some more head time I'll adjust to it more.

Update: Spent about a week with them and ultimately returned them, the comfort is just not there. The earpads are a bit on the small side for larger than average ears, sennheiser needs to make an xxl model or some larger earpads. I also just didnt like how they did the bass, it seemed a bit too much on the boomy side with too much mid bass bloat. I ended up exchanging them for a pair of wired momentum 2.0's and a cheapish pair of Sony MDR-ZX770bn bluetooth headphones which can't match the sound quality of the urbanites but are miles ahead when it comes to comfort.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 59
  Thinking if picking a pair of these up as I'm looking for some fun BT headphones. Was leaning towards the Momentums but the issues I've read about with the noise reduction have put me off. 

One question I have is how the touch controls work. Would they only work with something like an iphone, or could they control something like an AK100ii?

I think these are fantastic, I JUST got these in but am thoroughly impressed for what little head time they've seen.  I was highly skeptical for the following reasons:

1) Never really liked a BT headphone before... period!
2) Was highly concerned these would be "Beats-like"
3) I too had listened to the urbanite XL (wired) and wasn't a fan
4) Thought they were a little overpriced... still do... but keep reading
5) Assumed they were "Style Over Substance Accessory" which seems quite popular with all sorts of electronics these days

I find them to sound a bit like the person love child of an HD555 and the Fostex/MD THX-00, and I'm ready to adopt!  Overall V-shaped... neither end exaggerated but also not notably extended.  Mids are recessed but only mildly and have good timbre.  Pretty solid all-rounder in the genre versatility department, they have taken every thing I've thrown at them so far!

Now the Bass:  
1) NOT flabby or overblown like Beats
2) Boosted yes... but done well.   Best guess it peaks somewhere around 70-90 but roll off is fairly steep (in an X2 like fashion)
3) Surprisingly tight
4) Very enjoyable as a whole... enough impact but I would enjoy a smidge more in that department

Comfort:  Cups are a little small... Dumbo Ears + Urbanite XL Wirless = more of an on-ear.  Pad material is that suede/alcantara feeling microfiber and it's comfortable,   Might be a little gel foam in the pads... Haven't gotten sweaty in the last 2+ hours of use so take that for what it is.  No fatigue or paint points as of yet!

Touch Controls: So far so good... definitely takes a little getting used to

Wired/Wireless: Pretty similar signature... actually think I prefer it in BT mood.  Seems to flatten the V-shaped sig a bit (counter to other modus operandi)

Meh:
1) Soundstage is adequate and does not stand out much from it's competition.  No complaints but no accolades either...
2) Still not a big fan of textile on the headband but certainly not a dealbreaker
3) I do love a well extended headphone, these just meet my acceptance hurdle.  Those requiring sub 30Hz rumble or the minutia of information in the 16-20Khz range won't be satisfied.
4) Not recommended north of $250 and only a BUY IT at sub $200.  Buysonic still had some in stock last I checked and at their price I couldn't resist.

Overall Summation of Initial Impressions: A very enjoyable all-rounder with a warm tilt and V-shaped sound signature that lacks that last bit of extension you get from higher fidelity cans.  I am 100% satisfied with the price to performance ratio and have finally found an enjoyable BT can.  

Caveat(s):  I have not tried a taking/making calls on it and that's not really why I bought it.  I also have not gotten hands on time with the K845, it too was also in the running but the lower price on the Urbanite sealed the deal for me.

Source: Just my HTC One (M9) so far, wired and wireless

Edit: Only BT source besides PC or Phone is an old Cowon J3 which is 2.0 BT and works with next to nothing of the current gen BT devices

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 59
Ordered a pair of those, they are  still in transit. Are they really over-the-ear? They look rather small on the pictures also the first post mentions that inner diameter is about 5 cm, it's quite small for any ears. Are they more like on-ear headphones? I really hate on-ear headphones.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #25 of 59
Ordered a pair of those, they are  still in transit. Are they really over-the-ear? They look rather small on the pictures also the first post mentions that inner diameter is about 5 cm, it's quite small for any ears. Are they more like on-ear headphones? I really hate on-ear headphones.

The pads are quite big however the hole for your ear is a bit small. I have large ears and they felt more on ear than over ear, I struggled to get a good seal at times and even when I did long term comfort was not that great. I returned mine and got the momentum 2 which fits over my ear quite nicely.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #26 of 59
  5 cm, it's quite small for any ears

It isn't. Not for "any" ears.
Mine are almost 6.5cm and fit there.
It is also a matter of the form your ears have, and you must consider that most earpads have a bit more space nearer to the driver.

The bad seal I had it too, when I was moving my head a lot.
The dimensions of your head may give you a different experience.

Do not panic, wait, test, and see.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 59

Those with above average ears may have some trouble with a true "over-ear fit".  Four different people at the office tried them as well as myself and none had trouble...

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #28 of 59
Allright, will wait and test. I didn't yet try over-the-ear bluetooth, and all (under $50) I tried were really bad. The next stop is probably $500 momentums, but I really doubt they are light years better than urbanites. As for wired I'd prefer cheap Sony MDR-7506 (speaking of those, are all new $50 ebay's 7506's fake? sorry for the offtopic).

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 59
It depends on your tastes.
I consider the momentum (over ear) a much better headphone. But for example I would prefer the urbanite for metal, techno, and other direct-impact music.
But the momentum have a refined smooth sound which makes them a pleasure, and I prefer them for anything else.
And they have a different kinds of bass. The momentum have more rumble, the urbanite more punch.
If you like sony why didn't you buy the 1abt?

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #30 of 59
There was a review on MDR10RBT the guy didn't like them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsvmNKWceL0
Later he didn't like momentums as well (because of bad ANC) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bNccrSGnM
The only pair he didn't test were those urbanites :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back