New Sennheiser HD-700!!!!
Dec 7, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #152 of 550

Quote:
Heard from a Sennheiser that these will be a strict $999.95 and any dealer who undercuts will lose access.

I don't know any more than that.

Is that legal?

Never mind. Surely depends on the country. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #153 of 550

Quote:

Is that legal?

grado has managed to do it for quite some time now lol. every grado costs the same no matter where u go. (once in store tho, they can usually give u a small price discount)

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #154 of 550

Quote:

Is that legal?

Yep *unofficially* speaking ~ the same thing would happen to you as a retailer over here in Oz selling a HD800 below
 cost, if the distributor caught a sniff of that, you would just be told in one way or another that you're not likely to get
 another any time soon...

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #155 of 550

Quote:
grado has managed to do it for quite some time now lol. every grado costs the same no matter where u go. (once in store tho, they can usually give u a small price discount)

That's different. They still sell so well that they can keep the msrp's as reference points but basically sell at any price they wish. It's possible to sell Apple products at different prices also, but they're just so tightly priced you'd be left with nothing if you lowered them. This is only possible if the product is sexy enough and sellers make money with volume vs. profit margin/item. With Apple computers, depending on the deal, the retailers cut is usually no more than 10%. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #156 of 550
Apple has been price fixing for years. Everything has to be the same in every shop. It's the foundation of their business model, it enables a strict product and feature hierarchy. Sennheiser is obviously trying to build up a solid price - performance matched catalogue just like Grado has.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #157 of 550
My guess for a good price for the HD-700s would be 699usd. That would put them straight up against the He-500s and frankly, probably make the LCD-2s look slightly overpriced.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #158 of 550
That's actually not true at all, considering the large discrepancy between Canadian and American prices on all Grado products.

Quote:

I think Sennheiser is looking for something that better competes with the T1, as the HD800 is a fair bit more expensive at MSRP.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #159 of 550
That suggested/leaked 995 dollar price is higher than I expected (my guess would have been 700 like dyl1dyl suggested), but it kind of makes sense. That probably means a 700-800 euro EU price, which still makes it clearly cheaper than the HD 800. The big question at this price point, however, is that it´s now competing directly with the T1 (800 euros in the EU) and is expected to perform clearly higher than the HD 600/650. That said, with the HD 800 technology I have to doubts. The real question however, is if it actually surpasses the HD 800? If it goes for a HD 600/650 type voicing, it will probably be a bit less critical of bad recordings and many will actually find the new headphone superior to their flagship.

Maybe this time a 1500+ tube amp/otherwise specially voiced high end solid state (hi Violectric V200!) amp won´t be needed to get good sound out of it. Personally I´m suprised it´s taken this long for Sennheiser to get the HD 800 tech into mass production. It´s inevitable - considering the undeniable technical (voicing is another question) superiority of the HD 800 - that the tech will eventually form the basis of all of Sennheisers higher end headphones. There is no reason a large company like Sennheiser would spend a huge amount of money for the R&D of their flagship, unless the technology will be used in other models too as soon as it´s financially viable.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #160 of 550
Who cares about the price, I have money
popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #161 of 550

Quote:
That's different. They still sell so well that they can keep the msrp's as reference points but basically sell at any price they wish. It's possible to sell Apple products at different prices also, but they're just so tightly priced you'd be left with nothing if you lowered them. This is only possible if the product is sexy enough and sellers make money with volume vs. profit margin/item. With Apple computers, depending on the deal, the retailers cut is usually no more than 10%. 

like itouch 8gb being 194USD on black friday. a whole 5 dollars off!!! lol

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #162 of 550
I'm not looking forward to another $1,000 "lol this is mid-fi now" headphone. I feel I may as well just get speakers.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #164 of 550
if it's actually 999 then it's obviously over-priced. the hd800's themselves are already over-priced. they don't offer a 1500 dollar performance. once you hit past a certain price point it just basically comes to marketing cost and maximize profit. nothing wrong with that cause they're a business. just some pricing that happens with lot of things are ridiculous nowadays, but they can get away with it cause deep down inside they know people will buy it to ''just to have it'' cause people are just like that. not just headphones but everything else as well.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #165 of 550
I'm impressed, if that design is for real, Sennheiser actually managed to create headphone even uglier than HD800. = )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back