New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #361 of 9,484
Question from a guy who has NO knowledge of speaker amps:

If say, you plug in your headphones accidentally in hi-gain cuz you were just using your amp with speakers and hit the 'play' button- you're gonna blow out your cans (and hopefully not your eardrums too), right? Is there any safeguard for this, or is my worry completely unfounded?

edit: I just looked at the pic- it seems there's no gain. So the question still stands though- what if you don't reset the volume and leave it at a normal level for speakers but a dangerously high level for headphones and accidentally play music?

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #362 of 9,484
The Ragnarok will have one heck of a following and if it's Schiit's top of the line, you can be sure it will be an extremely competent amp. The line will be long........

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #365 of 9,484
Quote:
I would like to see current output amplification option on the headphone out of the Ragnarok.

Quote:
A number of different companies are using this kind of circuitry these days with
great results. Bakoon,krell, audio-gd, ayre... Its takes a lot of parts. Distortion typically in the
.002% range. No TIM. Very fast.

The Krell Phantom III preamp has a SE headphone outlet.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #366 of 9,484
Quote:
Erm... Magni + Modi?

(I would be curious about any attempt to include both in a single, low-height, rack-mountable enclosure with even better Power-Regulation [one wall plug, please?]...
Say, maybe <$180 for the new "combo" unit? I'd stick one of those under the cabinets in my kitchen ASAP! Might even put one in my car, too.)

Not sure where the exact quote is, but Jason made it pretty clear a while ago that he would never put an amp and DAC in the same unit.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #367 of 9,484
Quote:
Not sure where the exact quote is, but Jason made it pretty clear a while ago that he would never put an amp and DAC in the same unit.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Which is a shame because a well done capable all in one from Schiit would be quite appealing for those of us whose desk space is at a premium.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #368 of 9,484
Quote:
Which is a shame because a well done capable all in one from Schiit would be quite appealing for those of us whose desk space is at a premium.

3 x 5" stacked isn't small enough? How much smaller can we get? "Introducing the invisible DAC!"

Seriously, though, combo units are (a) designed for obsolescence--face it, the DAC will need changed up long before the amp, and (b) Mixing multi-megahertz digital noise with sensitive analog components. It's not a great way to go, in our opinion.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #369 of 9,484
Quote:
3 x 5" stacked isn't small enough? How much smaller can we get? "Introducing the invisible DAC!"

Seriously, though, combo units are (a) designed for obsolescence--face it, the DAC will need changed up long before the amp, and (b) Mixing multi-megahertz digital noise with sensitive analog components. It's not a great way to go, in our opinion.

C'mon Jason-your avatar needs to be updated long before either.
evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

-Daniel

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #371 of 9,484
Quote:

Well, its also the size of the octopus made up of cables going all over my small desk and behind. I do understand what you're saying though. I have to do something about my messy situation one day.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #375 of 9,484
(b) Mixing multi-megahertz digital noise with sensitive analog components. It's not a great way to go, in our opinion.

Speaking of multi-megahertz: Just wondering if the DAC chip(s) in the Yggdrasil will be doing the usual SDM, or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back