New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #8,747 of 9,484
My Mjolinir2 arrived with nicks on one edge. I just assumed it was from them being handled during assembly, etc.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #8,748 of 9,484
Just upgraded Senn HD 580 to Hifiman HE-560, the leap is huge.
Driving Yggy -> Matrix M-Stage amp -> HE-560,    the result is heaven.

Any suggestions on a better headphone amp (that can make another major leap) ?

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,749 of 9,484
  Just upgraded Senn HD 580 to Hifiman HE-560, the leap is huge.
Driving Yggy -> Matrix M-Stage amp -> HE-560,    the result is heaven.

Any suggestions on a better headphone amp (that can make another major leap) ?

I've heard the Rag paired with the Yggr, and that stack killed.  Heard it driving the HD800 and LCD-3F cans.  Both cans sounded exceptional with that stack driving.  

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #8,752 of 9,484

Curious if you have had time to form an opinion between the two DACs.  I've been enjoying my ygg for months and it's a keeper.  I was considering a metrum a while before the purchase of the ygg and your post made me curious.

Cheers,
HS

Hi, sorry for my late reply. I havent compared the two side by side. from memory the Metrum octave mk1 was a bit thinner, more ethereal and had a little more exitement. The yygy is a bit more laid back but has a bigger sound stage. also you can hear textures better especially in the mids which is great for voices. Also the yygy gives a good sense of space, reverb sounds very natural. In the beginning it felt like the yggy was a bit more veiled its seems to have openen up now or my ears got more used to it :wink:, probably a bit of both.
I'm using a quite long usb cable and would need get another one to be be to hear them side by side.
wont happen very soon tho since i will go on holliday first.

in other words the yygy did not beat the Octave out of the park but its surely growing on me. It would be fun to compare them again now that the yggy had some time.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #8,753 of 9,484

Hi, sorry for my late reply. I havent compared the two side by side. from memory the Metrum octave mk1 was a bit thinner, more ethereal and had a little more exitement. The yygy is a bit more laid back but has a bigger sound stage. also you can hear textures better especially in the mids which is great for voices. Also the yygy gives a good sense of space, reverb sounds very natural. In the beginning it felt like the yggy was a bit more veiled its seems to have openen up now or my ears got more used to it :wink:, probably a bit of both.
I'm using a quite long usb cable and would need get another one to be be to hear them side by side.
wont happen very soon tho since i will go on holliday first.

in other words the yygy did not beat the Octave out of the park but its surely growing on me. It would be fun to compare them again now that the yggy had some time.

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I've been curious about the Octave relative to the ygg just to close the loop on a DAC I was considering seriously.

Enjoy your holiday.  Just back from Peru myself...great trip.

HS

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #8,754 of 9,484

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I've been curious about the Octave relative to the ygg just to close the loop on a DAC I was considering seriously.

HS

Very nice! I was in Peru from late July til the middle of August. I was there visiting my girlfriend's family because they live in Peru. I visited Miraflores, San Miguel, downtown Lima, and north of Lima in Chancay and Huaral.

Did you go check out southern Peru or hang out in Lima? I know the popular trip there is to visit Cusco and check out Machu Pichu

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #8,755 of 9,484

Very nice! I was in Peru from late July til the middle of August. I was there visiting my girlfriend's family because they live in Peru. I visited Miraflores, San Miguel, downtown Lima, and north of Lima in Chancay and Huaral.

Did you go check out southern Peru or hang out in Lima? I know the popular trip there is to visit Cusco and check out Machu Pichu

Yes, very cool.  Lima, the Sacred Valley, Macchu Pichu and Cusco.  Loved the train ride to Macchu.

HS

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #8,756 of 9,484

HS

I compared an Octave MK2 and the Yggy A/B and the Yggy beat the Metrum hands down, IMO. I also preferred the Master 7 to the Metrum, FWIW.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #8,757 of 9,484
I compared an Octave MK2 and the Yggy A/B and the Yggy beat the Metrum hands down, IMO. I also preferred the Master 7 to the Metrum, FWIW.

Sweet. Thanks for sharing, Josh. That was the unit I kept looking at. I was using a Woo and lastly a Beresford Caiman MkII, and the R2R bug was biting me. Saw the ygg, which I had not been following closely, and jumped in like a high schooler. Have been pleased as punch since I got it warmed up. The ygg was a bit harsh to me straight out of the box.

HS

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #8,759 of 9,484
When I had my loaner Yggy, I never noticed any obvious step change over the period I had it (a week and a bit from memory). 

Now with the arrival of my purchased Yggy, I noticed some obvious changes in the first few hours, then no change of any great significance up to Day 9, by which time I was thinking this is as far as it is likely to go. Then on Day 10 it finally happened: a definite step change where any remaining "analytical" traces disappeared, almost to the point of it becoming too analogue-like.

Strangely enough, there a brief premonition of this moment that occurred after 3 or 4 hours, but that didn't last long.   

All through this, the Yggy was left on playing looped music 24/7. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #8,760 of 9,484
  Ok. September has come, the new Yggdrasil little brother is out, and I'm wondering when those who ordered the bigger one on the first half of July, shall receive it.

Any news? 
confused.gif

Yggy ordered 08/27
Shipped 09/04 (+6 business days)
FedEx truck is out for delivery today 09/09 (3 business days)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back