New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #6,661 of 9,484
I thought a PC USB audio driver extracts the raw PCM data and bitstreams it via the USB output to the DAC which converts it into I2S so the DAC chip can understand it?

If this is not the case, then can someone please explain how it really works?

If Mike is saying there are unneeded conversions when using USB, then who makes a dedicated audiophile PCIe card with a native AES/EBU output? I dont want to pay for a Pro Audio card when I am not a sound engineer recording music in a studio to be honest.

These USB to SPDIF converters would even add another conversion, so those are not the answer right? Thats why I eliminated mine (Audiophilleo1) from my chain because its an extra conversion.

May 4, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #6,662 of 9,484
There is this statement on Schiit's yggy page :

Upgradability: Fully modular architecture. Separate digital input board, USB input board, DSP engine board, and DAC/analog output boards.

Spec refresh without needing to replace the whole unit?
wow, thats like lego! Expect this purchase to be quite future proof if it means what I think it does, maybe...

May 4, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #6,663 of 9,484
does everyone reporting the similar "Yggy after X hours approaches glory be to the one one high"- all have the same, non-colored and completely transparent $5K amp or Ragnarok attached or ?

make no mistake, I've heard the amazing Yggy+Ragn awhile back, and don't discount the Baldr genius behind the DAC itself.
and Yggy is on my next-order list.  (damn the 2 month wait)

but it seems strange if folks have tube or "colored" amps all stating the same sonic characteristic DAC improvements without much variety in the sentiment.

May 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #6,664 of 9,484
Playing time is usually more potent than on time for burn in.  All you need to do is to play a very dynamic recording on repeat mode.  You do not need to listen, you just need to make sure it is plugged into a load (preamp or amp).  The preamp or amp does not even have to be on.  The resistance in its input stage is the load.  More powerful burn in can be accomplished by putting a 50 ohm load across the outputs and running it on repeat. 2V RMS peaks per phase will only be .08 watts so a small wattage resistor can be used.  When the unit is playing then all the caps in the analog DAC power supply and the output stage power supply are modulating and you have current running through the output stage parts......this is important.  So, play continuously with volume down/off.

May 4, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #6,665 of 9,484
  Baldr's post made me both excited and sad. Excited because I feel like it's the first time I'll hear a DAC and feel like it's something out of the ordinary for the first time in my young life, and sad because I have so much electronic music. :frowning2:. Ahh well. We'll see.

I would not get worked up over it. Electronic music is my fav. genre and I would not use it to test realism, at least not modern electronic. When house first came out it was allot of remixed disco and funk so plenty of acoustic/vocal material, baldr is just plain wrong on that, early electronic would work just fine. I would use electronic music to test extension. Here is where I think electronic would have an advantage over acoustic. There was a minimalist movement for a while there where electronic producers where focusing on sq. but it was a bit lifeless imo. Sounded great but kind of sleep inducing.  

May 4, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #6,666 of 9,484
Transformers do NOT store charge. Capacitors DO store charge.

My mistake and I apologise for my ignorance. In any case, if a capacitor can store that charge for several hours - to the point where you arent supposed to touch it until its completely discharged - surely there is some engineering credibility to the earlier discussion around Yggy not returning to 'hour zero' when you turn it off and back on in a reasonably short period ? 

May 4, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6,668 of 9,484
  Playing time is usually more potent than on time for burn in.  All you need to do is to play a very dynamic recording on repeat mode.  You do not need to listen, you just need to make sure it is plugged into a load (preamp or amp).  The preamp or amp does not even have to be on.  The resistance in its input stage is the load.  More powerful burn in can be accomplished by putting a 50 ohm load across the outputs and running it on repeat. 2V RMS peaks per phase will only be .08 watts so a small wattage resistor can be used.  When the unit is playing then all the caps in the analog DAC power supply and the output stage power supply are modulating and you have current running through the output stage parts......this is important.  So, play continuously with volume down/off.

This view of 'burn in' also meshes with my experience as well.

It's about running a music signal thru the system.

Perhaps 'burn in' is the wrong term to use due to the connotation of heating and cooking off the excess of something or other.

Rather it seems to be about flexing the circuits muscles or passing the full dynamic range of voltages thru the active and supporting circuits, with 'enough' history or accumulated time so that the circuits act in a cohesive and coherent fashion.  
I call this coming into focus.
And I liken it to a moiré pattern that finally synchronizes with itself.

And it seems to happen (or be noticed) after a certain threshold of resolution and articulation is reached.

JJ

May 4, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #6,669 of 9,484
but it seems strange if folks have tube or "colored" amps all stating the same sonic characteristic DAC improvements without much variety in the sentiment.

up to now all I see is various ppl which are simply repeating/confirming purrin's iggy words & findings from last month. Not necessarily wrong/false .. but also not much else than good old confirmation bias.

Still waiting for some serious reviews ... and especially comparisons. Up to now only negura's iggy vs thera gen v sounds interesting and newsworthy.

May 4, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #6,670 of 9,484
up to now all I see is various ppl which are simply repeating/confirming purrin's iggy words & findings from last month. Not necessarily wrong/false .. but also not much else than good old confirmation bias.

Still waiting for some serious reviews ... and especially comparisons. Up to now only @negura's iggy vs thera gen v sounds interesting and newsworthy.

I've noticed this as well. a lot of parroting type statements, which doesn't necessarily mean confirmation bias or expectation bias, but I would have thought there would be more varying opinions among the head-fi crowd. people here generally never agree on anything. you have to find the people who share your tastes and have similar sonic judgement on shared gear to get meaningful information from impressions.

May 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #6,671 of 9,484

Still waiting for some serious reviews ... and especially comparisons. Up to now only @negura's iggy vs thera gen v sounds interesting and newsworthy.

Agreed, especially from those with much experience.

May 4, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #6,672 of 9,484
Negura's post has actually done more to convince me to buy Ygg than any other! I wish it were cheaper for me to hear one :frowning2:

Honest, level headed, articulate, non-hype impressions, comparing against other competing products are truly valuable. It's not fair to expect this from everyone though, I have probably done my fair share of hype style impressions.

May 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,673 of 9,484
I've noticed this as well. a lot of parroting type statements, which doesn't necessarily mean confirmation bias or expectation bias, but I would have thought there would be more varying opinions among the head-fi crowd. people here generally never agree on anything. you have to find the people who share your tastes and have similar sonic judgement on shared gear to get meaningful information from impressions.

You are right, that's not even necessarily confirmation bias .. it's just un-newsworthy.

Many people dislike conflicting/different opinions but, for better or worse, that's the only kind of impressions that one can trust. Ppl use diff music and have diff ears and tastes .. diff gear and rooms too .. there's pretty much no way that all will hear the exact same stuff.

May 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,674 of 9,484

My mistake and I apologise for my ignorance. In any case, if a capacitor can store that charge for several hours - to the point where you arent supposed to touch it until its completely discharged - surely there is some engineering credibility to the earlier discussion around Yggy not returning to 'hour zero' when you turn it off and back on in a reasonably short period ? 

No need to apologize; these posts will be around the internet for quite some time and we want to assure others don't get confused. We have things in the lab called chicken sticks, which are a combination of resistors and a neon tube, to discharge high voltage capacitors. Imagine how troublesome it would be if we had to wait between hours and days for a capacitor to discharge before working on a device. Capacitors can hold a charge but they will self discharge over time, how quickly is dependent on their chemistry, construction and internal resistance / charge leakage.

May 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #6,675 of 9,484
  To answer the big question: Today for the same money between the Theta (+interface/cables) and Yggdrasil, I would now rather choose the latter for most intents and purposes. It's not a straight win, but I feel that it now does well enough in most areas to pull through with a consistent lead. This is also the point where I start to think more about "keep" vs "return for refund".

Could you expand a little bit more on this when you have some time? It'd be helpful to know which "intents and purposes" you'd close the Yggy for. Since "it's not a straight win," could you note the areas where the Theta bests the Yggy?

Thanks in advance. Like others have said, yours is the best initial opinion I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back